[comp.windows.ms] Changing colors

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/02/91)

I give up. I did RTFM. How do you change the solid colors Windows uses?
I just got a nice 256 color vuideo card and want to change one of the solid
colors to a dark shade of gray so I can use it as a window background,
which has to be solid. I can't seem to see how to do this in Windows.
The COntrol Panel seems not to for doing this. I found that the user defined
colors don;t generate new colors, just dither old ones.

I am using an Orchid Prodesigned II in 768x1024 mode.

Doug McDonald

nan@math.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) (03/03/91)

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>I give up. I did RTFM. How do you change the solid colors Windows uses?
>I just got a nice 256 color vuideo card and want to change one of the solid
>colors to a dark shade of gray so I can use it as a window background,
>which has to be solid. I can't seem to see how to do this in Windows.
>The COntrol Panel seems not to for doing this. I found that the user defined
>colors don;t generate new colors, just dither old ones.

Windows only supports some 20 solid colors, the rest are dithered. There's
nothing you can do.

>I am using an Orchid Prodesigned II in 768x1024 mode.
					^^^^^^^^

Shouldn't it be 1024x768?

--
           Nan Zou              | Bitnet  : nan@ksuvm
    Kansas State University     | Internet: nan@math.ksu.edu

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.200921.29998@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> nan@math.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) writes:
>mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>
>>I give up. I did RTFM. How do you change the solid colors Windows uses?
>>I just got a nice 256 color vuideo card and want to change one of the solid
>>colors to a dark shade of gray so I can use it as a window background,
>>which has to be solid. I can't seem to see how to do this in Windows.
>>The COntrol Panel seems not to for doing this. I found that the user defined
>>colors don;t generate new colors, just dither old ones.
>
>Windows only supports some 20 solid colors, the rest are dithered. There's
>nothing you can do.

Oh. I thought that it could display 256 colors! How do things like
WinGif work? It sure looks like 256 colors to me! In any case,
simply CHANGING one of the 20 solid ones would be fine. But HOW do
I do that legally. (I did do it illegally - I wrote a Windows program that
simply pokes the proper valures for a dark gray into the VGA registers.
But then Windows doesn't know about it!)

>>I am using an Orchid Prodesigned II in 768x1024 mode.
>					^^^^^^^^
>
>Shouldn't it be 1024x768?
 ^^^^^^

I don't know about that. Maybe it is just that I would really rather have
a portrait mode display!!

Doug McDonald

nan@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) (03/04/91)

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>In article <1991Mar2.200921.29998@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> nan@math.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) writes:
>>mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>>Windows only supports some 20 solid colors, the rest are dithered. There's
>>nothing you can do.

>Oh. I thought that it could display 256 colors! How do things like
>WinGif work? It sure looks like 256 colors to me! In any case,
>simply CHANGING one of the 20 solid ones would be fine. But HOW do
>I do that legally. (I did do it illegally - I wrote a Windows program that
>simply pokes the proper valures for a dark gray into the VGA registers.
>But then Windows doesn't know about it!)

I didn't make myself very clear. An application like Wingif, PaintBrush
that's 256-color aware can work with 256 colors within the application,
but windows itself only gives you a very limited color selection. Take
PaintBrush, if you installed a 256-color driver you can display a 256-color
image, but when you try to edit, no matter how you change the RGB values
you still get dithered ones.