[comp.windows.ms] User Restriction on Windows 3.0

scott@uwav1.u.washington.edu (03/02/91)

Hello,
Is there a way to delete/deactivate/shut-off the program manager so
that only the program that is run at the moment when windows is
run will be active in windows for example:
C:>win <filename>

The place were I work we are installing windows....However, not
everyone have the same knowledge/ability about windows. So there
is a confusion/frustration coming from the more novice users
when the computer is all disturbed by the more experienced users.
So I was wondering if we can somehow takeout the program manager
icon so that users will be restricted to the application that was ran
at the beginning.

Is this idea possible? Is this a good way to do it?
Is there a better way of doing things so that the screen will
not look so busy?

Also is there an application program for windows that will restrict
user access to windows, let's say by account and access-level?

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar1.154513.1@uwav1.u.washington.edu>, scott@uwav1.u.washington.edu writes:
..
> So I was wondering if we can somehow takeout the program manager
> icon so that users will be restricted to the application that was ran
> at the beginning.
..
    You could try replacing the following line in the WIN.INI or
    SYSTEM.INI file (don't remember which one...):

    Shell=PROGMAN.EXE

    with

    Shell=<application>.EXE

    I think this is documented in some of the .TXT-files that
    came with Windows.

    Teemu.
--
                             _________