[comp.windows.ms] Win3/X11 via modem possible?

atdep@ducvax.auburn.edu (Black Dougal) (02/26/91)

I need some info on Windows 3.0 connectivity with X11/OpenWindows on a Sun
Sparcstation.  Is it possible to have an Xclient on the PC end that will
work over a modem (9600 baud or better) connection, rather than via some
sort of networking card?  From info I had seen in various places, I had
gathered that Xwindows via modem was possible, but I wasn't positive.

If this is possible, could someone point me in the direction of available
software.

		Thanks in advance,
Efrem Robbins                        | ATDEP: ATmospheric DEPosition
ATDEP@ducvax.auburn.edu              | Ozone and Acid Rain Studies
robbins@sun_3.forestry.auburn.edu    | Torturing trees for science.

james@jemez.unm.edu (James Singer) (02/27/91)

I would like this information as well!

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (02/28/91)

MIn article <31008@pprg.unm.edu>, james@jemez.unm.edu (James Singer) writes:

|> I would like this information as well!
|> --

Me too.

Please, do post all replies to the news group.

Andrzej Bieszczad                     | Phone:  (613) 763-2259
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.          | Fax:    (613) 763-3283
Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C, | USENET: uunet!bnrgate!eh!andrzej
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7      | BitNet: andrzej@BNR.CA

atdep@ducvax.auburn.edu (Black Dougal) (02/28/91)

Since other people were also interested in this topic, I thought I'd go
ahead and post a couple of the responses I got via email.  I'd still like
to see any more info that people might be able to share.  Please post,
but I'll summarize any email replies.

=============

Marc Kuperstein (marc@meaddata.com) writes:

>Some of us here are looking into this area, and here is what we know
>so far.
>
>First, there are several companies that sell an X server for the PC, a
>couple of which run under Windows.  Xvision and Locus are two such
>products (if you can't get a phone number, send me a note and I'll try
>to get them).  These products all require some type of network.
>
>Now for the slick part.  A company called FTP sells a product called
>PC/TCP, in a variety of flavors.  This product allows applications
>above it to talk TCP, and provides a comm path via an async line (i.e.
>switched modems) to another system.  On the Sun side you can run
>either SLIP or PPP (both of which are available via the net) to
>communicate with PC/TCP.
>
>The thing to watch out for is that the PC products should state
>whether they work with FTP PC/TCP.
>
>Hope this helps.  If you want to discuss this further, send me a note.
>I'll help if I can.
>
>Oh, when I mentioned that I was going to be running an X server on a
>PC and the X clients on a Sun over a 9600 baud line most of the
>vendors balked.  They said that while this was possible, the results
>could be really slow if your not careful.  Note: Don't go less than
>9.6Kbps.
>
>Best of luck.
>Marc Kuperstein                                         (513) 865-1028
>Mead Data Central                     Architecture & Systems Evolution
>P.O. Box 933                                         marc@meaddata.com
>Dayton, Ohio  45401                            ...!uunet!meaddata!marc

==============

Thanks to Brad and Marc for the info.  We'll be looking into the PC-NFS
and the software from FTP and see what we can come up with.  I also got
some mail from someone at Georgia Tech (Go Jackets!) who said that he'd
be able to get some more information to me soon.

-----------------------------------+------------------------------------------
Ernest Campbell                    |      ATDEP: ATmospheric DEPosition
ATDEP@ducvax.auburn.edu            |       Ozone and Acid Rain studies
CAMPBELL@ducvax.auburn.edu         |       Torturing trees for science.

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (03/05/91)

> Is it possible to have an Xclient on the PC end that will
                            ^^^^^^^

The only product I have even heard that will offer X-clients on the PC
(meaning that the application executes on the PC with the input/output
being from any X-server, be that on a PC or UNIX workstation) is the
upcoming DESQview/X from Quarterdeck.  Everything else I have ever heard
or read about regarding X-windows and PC's has always been X-server
products (like XVision and XSight).