[comp.windows.ms] Permanent SwapFile & device driver conflict

broderick@tallis.enet.dec.com (Joe Broderick) (03/06/91)

Having recently upgraded my disk to a Seagate 1239a (211mb),
I tried last night to create a permanent SwapFile (seems like
I can now afford the disk space!).  Well, to my surprise,
Windows reported that I had an incompatible driver in my
config.sys file, and wouldn't let me do it.  I checked in
config.sys, and the only drivers there are DMDRVR (for the disk,
from Disk Manager), and ANSI (for the keyboard).  Is DMDRVR
the culprit?  I had it before, with my old(smaller) disk, but
I may never have tried to create a permanent swapfile then,
so I'm not sure that's it.

Any help? Thanks,
Joe

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (03/06/91)

In article <20804@shlump.nac.dec.com> broderick@tallis.enet.dec.com (Joe Broderick) writes:

>Having recently upgraded my disk to a Seagate 1239a (211mb),
>I tried last night to create a permanent SwapFile (seems like
>I can now afford the disk space!).  Well, to my surprise,
>Windows reported that I had an incompatible driver in my
>config.sys file, and wouldn't let me do it.  I checked in
>config.sys, and the only drivers there are DMDRVR (for the disk,
>from Disk Manager), and ANSI (for the keyboard).  Is DMDRVR
>the culprit?  I had it before, with my old(smaller) disk, but
>I may never have tried to create a permanent swapfile then,
>so I'm not sure that's it.
>
>Any help? Thanks,
>Joe

Well, DMDRVR is the culprit.  It is documented somewhere in the online docs
of Windows (I'm not sure which file, but it's there somewhere.)  If you
really want a swapfile, upgrade to DOS 4.01 (or 5.0 when it comes out...)
so that you can put big partitions on without drivers.

Vince

mph@hp835.mitek.com (Mike Hare) (03/06/91)

In article <20804@shlump.nac.dec.com> broderick@tallis.enet.dec.com (Joe Broderick) writes:

>Having recently upgraded my disk to a Seagate 1239a (211mb),
>I tried last night to create a permanent SwapFile (seems like
>Windows reported that I had an incompatible driver in my
>config.sys file, and wouldn't let me do it.  I checked in
>from Disk Manager), and ANSI (for the keyboard).  Is DMDRVR
>the culprit?  I had it before, with my old(smaller) disk, but

Yes, DMDRVR is the problem, I had the same message on a smaller
40 Meg Seagate drive when I tried the permanent swap file.  My
solution was to upgrade my DOS to 4.0 and format without the
Disk Manager Software.  - hope this helps - Mike

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (03/07/91)

There is one other fix for this although the performance suffers.  Place
the following line in the [386Enh] section of SYSTEM.INI:
                    VIRTUALHDIRQ=OFF

My guess is that this makes windows access the drive in a more orthodox
manner (maybe going through the bios, I don't know).  Anyway, it will
probably fix the problem, but it reduces some of the benefit of having
a permenant swap file ie speed.

Brian Town
Hewlett Packard