[comp.windows.ms] Windows and Networks

kstout@medieval.East.Sun.COM (Kate Stout - Sun BOS Software) (03/05/91)

I've seen a fair number of postings about how to get various
Networks to run correctly with Windows. I'm curious about networks
running with Windows. (Not just Kermit or Terminal, or other programs
to connect to a server, but Networks the way the Windows User's Guide
talks about it)

How many folks are using windows with a Network? What network?

What features does it have that you really like?

Really hate?

Can you Browse around to figure out what's available?

Can you Print to networked printers?

Can you send messages or mail?

If you had it to do over again, would you pick the network you are
using (for use with Windows)?

I'd like to start some discussion on this, but if people would rather
mail me directly, that's fine too.

Thanks

mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca (Brian McCashin) (03/06/91)

In article <4637@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> kstout@medieval.UUCP () writes:
>I've seen a fair number of postings about how to get various
>Networks to run correctly with Windows.
>How many folks are using windows with a Network? What network?
   We're using NET30/Invisible Net which is a DOS based NETBIOS network.

>What features does it have that you really like? Hate?
   It uses PCLAN support so its pretty rudimentary (incompatible with
    print manager and Enhanced mode) but having access to net drives and
    printers is really nice anyway. I havn't heard of any DOS based
    networks that support Enhanced mode. Anybody??

--
 Brian McCashin                            Internet: mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca
 Senior Programmer/Analyst                 Bitnet: USERJAZZ@UBCMTSG

ngb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Neal Baker) (03/08/91)

We use Microsoft Lan Manager 1.1 with Windows 3.0 in Real mode. This allows
our PCs to use OS/2 and unix machines as file and print servers, and fast
access to a mainframe-based mail service.

> What features does it have that you really like?

The EM386 memory manager that comes with LM 1.1 moves some stuff into high
memory thus freeing some conventional memory.  Also it is resilient to
network failures (unlike Novell Netware that we have used in the past that
necesitated rebooting PCs).

PCs with small disks can expand their storage capacity using network drives
exactly as if they were local.

You can back up your PC to a remote hard disk instead of to floppy or tape.
You can update or install sofware from a server.

NewWave 3.0 allows shared folders for collegues to share common information
accross the net, with controlled check-in/out access.

> Really hate?

The file manager in Windows is intolerably slow displaying the directories
of network drives.

> Can you Browse around to figure out what's available?

Yes, just like browsing local disks.

> Can you Print to networked printers?

Yes, and view the remote queues.

> Can you send messages or mail?

I use NewWave Mail which has the big usability advantage that you can mail
wordprocessing documents, images, spreadsheets etc. as well as send and receive
plain text off the more conventional mail networks. You mail any file just
by 'picking' it up with the mouse and 'dropping' it onto the mail icon. You
address the message by similarly dropping a distribution list onto the
envelope, or typing by it.

> If you had it to do over again, would you pick the network you are
> using (for use with Windows)?

Yes, as an alternative I would also investigate if Windows integrates as good
with Novell.