[comp.windows.ms] Can't type "@" with WinQvtNet on German keyboard

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (02/24/91)

I just tried the new WinQvtNet wich was uploaded to cica
a few days ago. It works quite well, but has an annoying bug
which makes it unusabe here. It is not possible to create
the "@" character using WinQvtNet. Instead of sending the
character, the program beeps and does nothing.

On the German keyboard, which we use here, the @ character
has to be typed by holding down the right Alt key and pressing
the "q" key, then.

To my surprise, all other such chars which have to be typed that
way (i.e. "~{[]}\|") work. @ is the only character which shows
the problem.

By the way: the Terminal program which comes with Windows is
much more broken - it beeps on all characters which have to
be typed using the right Alt key. Obviously, the German subsidiary
of Microsoft and all the beta testers in Germany don't own
or use modems :-)

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (03/01/91)

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:

>I just tried the new WinQvtNet wich was uploaded to cica
>a few days ago. It works quite well, but has an annoying bug
>which makes it unusabe here. It is not possible to create
>the "@" character using WinQvtNet. Instead of sending the
>character, the program beeps and does nothing.
There are several problems with WinQVT/Net in an international
environment. It seems that it has hardcoded keyboard handling, since
all characters (both in the 0x20-0x7F and 0x80-0xFF range) which are
on a different place from the US keyboard layout generate incorrect
output. For example, on a Swedish keyboard, the slash (/) is on
shifted 7. In WinQVT/Net, if you press shift+7, you'll get an
ampersand and a slash ("&/"). VERY annoying.

There is a *ugly* workaround:
Open NOTEPAD
Type in the characters you want to be able to use but WinQVT/Net won't
handle properly.
Whenever you need to use one of those chars, COPY it to Clipboard,
then PASTE it into WinQVT/Net.
--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>

SIV88002@NOBIVM.BITNET (Magnus Koeber) (03/08/91)

Sorry, but that NOTEPAD-trick wont do|

We use (In Norway) the tre special norvegian characters (oe)(aa) and (ae) just
as often as an american would use any vovel.  Therefore I have not been able to
 use any WIN terminal program.  TELIX, the character-based program works just f
ine.  Why cant programmers learn from eachother?