[comp.windows.ms] Extended Memory blues

ak7g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (Ashish Kapur) (03/08/91)

I am sorry if this question has already been addressed.

I am having problems with my windows 3.0a program after
I installed 1M extended memory.

I am running in standard mode.

I have a total of 2M of memory now.
Details of my system:

386-25MHZ clone.
ST157n-1 Seagate SCSI 48MB hard drive.
Windows version 3.00a

The config.sys file reads as:

CONFIG.SYS
FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
device=c:\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\smartdrv.sys 768

Now when I boot up my system the windows startup logo is displayed but
after that the system hangs up

Then I changed my autoexec.bat file to load norton's caching program
( I kept the config.sys file the same )

AUTOEXEC.BAT
.
.
.
c:\norton\ncache-f ext
.
.

.
c:\windows\win

This allots the maximum available extended memory as cache.
At startup ncache displays 192K of extended memory being allocated
to the cache.
Now windows works fine....

About in the program manager displays the following

Standard Mode
Available Memory    900K
Available resources 78%

Can anyone tell me what's going on?
Why does loading the norton cache program solve the problem?

BTW if I hadn't installed the cache program I would had more free
memory available.

Second question:

I am pretty dissapointed with the paintbrush that comes with windows.
Are there any paintbrush/figure drawing packages for windows that offer
more features (like simple lines with arrowheads for example) ?

Thanks for listening.

Ashish Kapur

Center for SemiCustom Integrated Systems
University of Virginia

email: ak7g@Virginia.EDU

"Every silver lining's got a touch of grey"

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.173724.20416@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> ak7g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (Ashish Kapur) writes:

>I am sorry if this question has already been addressed.
>
>I am having problems with my windows 3.0a program after
>I installed 1M extended memory.
>
>I am running in standard mode.
>
>I have a total of 2M of memory now.
>Details of my system:
>
>386-25MHZ clone.
>ST157n-1 Seagate SCSI 48MB hard drive.
>Windows version 3.00a
>

>The config.sys file reads as:
>
>CONFIG.SYS
>FILES=30
>BUFFERS=30
>device=c:\himem.sys
>device=c:\windows\smartdrv.sys 768
                                     ^^^^--- note lack of 2nd number!!!

>Now when I boot up my system the windows startup logo is displayed but
>after that the system hangs up

I had a very similar problem: a 286 w/2 meg.  Sometimes it would load Windows
fine, other times it hung at the logo.  Thing is it seemed to be random; I'd
run it, it'd work fine, then exit and try again and kaboom.

The fix, as I hinted at, *seems* to be that a minimum cache value needs to
be specified.  I don't know if it's in TFM, but this jiggle fixed things
for me.  Maybe startdrive has a bug when Windows tells it to release every-
thing, which may happen on a 2 meg system.

Anyway, hope this helps everyone...  Only took about 6 hours to find this fix!

Aaron Wallace

haff@evax3.eng.fsu.edu (DAVID-HAFF) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.173724.20416@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, ak7g@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (Ashish Kapur) writes...

>I am sorry if this question has already been addressed.
>
>I am having problems with my windows 3.0a program after
>I installed 1M extended memory.
>
>I am running in standard mode.
>
>I have a total of 2M of memory now.
[portion deleted]

>Now when I boot up my system the windows startup logo is displayed but
>after that the system hangs up

>Thanks for listening.
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Ashish Kapur
>Center for SemiCustom Integrated Systems
>University of Virginia
>email: ak7g@Virginia.EDU

I am having the same problem, but I believe it's because HIMEM.SYS is not
compatible with my system.  I'm running:

80286-12MHz AT
80 MB HD
2 MEG Ram

I've been told that I should try using QEMM in order to access XMS.  Does
anyone else know what might help?  I can get my memory to work as EMS, and
run windows in real mode, but I can't seem to get windows to see that as
Extended Memory.  I have to actually open up the case and flip some dip
switches in order to change from EMS to XMS, and when the system boots, it
checks the 1408K of Extended Memory, but after that it's like it's not even
there.  Anyone have any ideas?  Should I go out and buy QEMM?  Is that what
QEMM is for?

Thanks for any help.

* David P. Haff "haff@evax.eng.fsu.edu"** "Death Of Mother Earth *    GO      *
* Department of Electrical Engineering  **  Never A Rebirth      *  'Noles!!  *
* FAMU/FSU College of Engineering        **  Evolution's End     **************
* Tallahassee, FL 32316-2175              **  Never Will It Mend" - Metallica *