[comp.windows.ms] Another Problem with WinQVT/Net

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) (03/01/91)

I just received my registered copy of WinQVT/Net V1.5 I like
some of the new features, such as being able to load QVT/Net
without having to open a telnet session. I also like the fact
that QVT/Net can now handle RCP as well as FTP. However, I
think I have found a "feature" in QVt/Net that shouldn't be
there. (Yep, I think I found a bug.)

Here is what happens:

    Load QVT/Net (either from the load=, run= or as
    the Program Manager. It doesn't seem to matter.)

    Start a single telnet session or start multiple telnet
    session. I get the same results whether I open one or
    more sessions on one or more different hosts.

    Close a telnet session. This is where I think the problem
    is occurring. It doesn't matter whether I close the session
    by logging out or whether I choosing the Exit command
    from the File menu. In both cases I get the same result.

As soon as I logout, I get an "Unrecoverable Application Error"
and the current applicatio (WinQVT/Net) is terminated. Then, while
still in the same Windows session, if I restart WinQVT/Net, I get
the following error as soon as I launch QVT/Net:
    Packet Driver Error: TYPE_IN_USE (Access Type)

So, I click OK and that error message goes away and a new one
shows up:
    Can't Access IP handle interface type 1
    Packet Driver probably not loaded.

And finally, when I click OK, that error message goes away and
I get the following:
    Network Initialization Error!

What is going on? When I exit windows and run the diagnostics that
came with the packet drivers, I am told that the packet driver
is still there and that it is still sending and receiving packets.
Everything seems to work except for the new version of WinQVT/Net.

I've stripped my autoexec.bat file and my config.sys down to just
the following:
    Autoexec.bat
        3c501 0x60 5 0x300
        PiktInt
        PATH C:\Windows
        SET TCPCONFIG=C:\Windows\Tool\QVT-Net\QVT_TCP.RC
    Config.sys
        Files=20
        buffers=15
        Device=C:\Tool\sys\himem.sys
        device=c:\windows\SmartDrv.sys 1024 512

I've got a 3c501 card and am using the 3c501 packet driver version
7.2, which was obtained from clarkson. I never had any problems
with the packet drivers with version 1.3 of QVT/Net.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

On a related note: anybody know if QPC Software (the WinQVT/Net
folks) are reachable by e-mail or by phone? I like their
software, but I'm not sure about their support.

mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) (03/07/91)

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) writes:

>In article <2477@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com
>(Leo Hinds) writes:
>>In article <1716@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell)
>>writes:
>>>As soon as I logout, I get an "Unrecoverable Application Error"
>>
>>I get these without logging out of the telnet session ... just idle time will
>>do it for me ...

>Interesting. I can let my telnet window sit idle for hours and
>nothing will happen. (WinQVT/NET won't crash. Everything seems
>to run fine.

Idle time is enough for me.  Is it possible that Leo Hinds and I are
both using a screen saver or some other configuration which causes
windows to swap wnqvt out, and that Cal Jewell is not?  I load screen
peace by default and use v8 of the ni5210 packet driver with the "-w"
switch (and MY shirt is white w/ stripes |-).  The "-w" switch
purportedly takes care of this by "sensing" that the application has
swapped out and dropping further packets until the application returns
to core.

I also get the "seemingly harmless" "packet driver error 8
(SetRcvMode)" message on wnqvtnet startup AND I get an occasional
"Packet received for invalid port - reset sent" in the wnqvtnet
console window.  Is this thing sending trash over the net?  I'd like
to know because I feel it's our responsibility to stop using it
immediately if it's impairing network performance.

As I post this I've seen at least a half dozen "invalid port"
messages.  I have also noted this message (exactly one occurrence)
under NCSA telnet v2.3b14.  What's the relationship?

>Yep, I have to use the same 'fix.' Looks like I will be going
>back to the older version of WinQVT/NET.
>a newer version of software that won't work properly on the
>same hardware and network setup that the older version of
>software had no problems with.

Does this mean an older, more reliable version exists with a
reasonable subset of the current version's capabilities?  What subset,
and can it still be found at cica?

>Hope the QPC software folks are listening. Anybody
>know of if they are reachable by e-mail or if they
>can be reached on a BBS.

Sure would be nice.  Witness folks like FTP Inc. who carry out this
type of electronic interaction so effectively... and their
proportionately faithful customer base.

>>leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
-----------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey, I know you. (see .sig :-)

Scott Wills (mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com)

M. Scott Wills                        internet: mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4828                        uucp: uunet!x102a!mwills

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/07/91)

In article <5704@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes:
>Idle time is enough for me.  Is it possible that Leo Hinds and I are
>both using a screen saver

Now that you mention it, SP 1.2 (set at 2 minutes idle) ... WinQVT/net
appears to survive a few saver timeouts before UAEing at idle

>                          or some other configuration which causes
>windows to swap winqvt out, and that Cal Jewell is not?  I load screen
>peace by default and use v8 of the ni5210 packet driver with the "-w"
>switch (and MY shirt is white w/ stripes |-).  The "-w" switch
>purportedly takes care of this by "sensing" that the application has
>swapped out and dropping further packets until the application returns
>to core.

I didn't know what the -w actually did, but this explanation sounds
reasonable to me ... by the way I am running ni5210 on v7x packet drivers.

>                                          AND I get an occasional
>"Packet received for invalid port - reset sent" in the winqvt/net

On some sessions I never see this, other times that is almost all I get ...

>Sure would be nice.  Witness folks like FTP Inc. who carry out this
>type of electronic interaction so effectively... and their
>proportionately faithful customer base.

As much as I would like to know that they are listening, I won't hold my
breath ... commercial (FTP) companies HAVE to listen, private on the other
hand may not be able to.
>>>leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
>-----------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Hey, I know you. (see .sig :-)
>
>Scott Wills (mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com)
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A fellow HARRISite :-)

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) (03/08/91)

In article <5704@trantor.harris-atd.com>, mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes:

> Idle time is enough for me.  Is it possible that Leo Hinds and I are
> both using a screen saver or some other configuration which causes
> windows to swap wnqvt out, and that Cal Jewell is not?  I load screen
> peace by default and use v8 of the ni5210 packet driver with the "-w"
> switch (and MY shirt is white w/ stripes |-).  The "-w" switch
> purportedly takes care of this by "sensing" that the application has
> swapped out and dropping further packets until the application returns
> to core.

Errrkk - you're using the -w option on the packet driver?? My understanding
of that option was it made the driver drop ALL packets when you went into
windows - not just when an app under windows swaps out. I'm sucessfully
using WinQVT/net 1.5 here without problems , and _without_ the -w on the
packet driver (pktint does all the dirty work). I'd seriously recommend
you try removing the '-w' as well and see what happens...

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |

mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) (03/09/91)

In <1991Mar8.163207.207@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz
(John Davis) writes:

>Errrkk - you're using the -w option on the packet driver?? My understanding
>of that option was it made the driver drop ALL packets when you went into
>windows - not just when an app under windows swaps out. I'm successfully
>using WinQVT/net 1.5 here without problems , and _without_ the -w on the
>packet driver (pktint does all the dirty work). I'd seriously recommend
>you try removing the '-w' as well and see what happens...

I will certainly give that a try.  However, the -w option must not
drop all packets in windows, because I am using it now (ni5210 and
wnqvtnet).  Here is the excerpt from the v8 packet driver install.doc
which explains -w:

          The -w switch is used for Windows.  Install the packet driver
          before running MS-Windows.  This switch does not prevent Windows
          from swapping your network application out of memory, it simply
          detects when that has happened, and drops the packets on the
          floor.

A recent posting here (or was it in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc?)
indicated that the author had found the right approach to this
problem, reactivating the wnqvtnet (or other packet driver
application) when a received packet interrupt occurs.  A follow up
suggested that this approach would soon be integrated in to the
Clarkson packet drivers :-)!!!  It is not clear to me whether this
enhancement will apply to poor 286 standard mode users such as myself
or will be reserved for 386 enhanced mode.  (anyone?)
M. Scott Wills                    Harris Corporation
mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com       Government Aerospace Systems Division
uunet!x102a!mwills                Melbourne, Florida