[comp.windows.ms] A MACdraw-like drawing package for Windows.

pickles@mpr.ca (Clive Pickles) (03/05/91)

Does anyone out there know if there exists a MACdraw-like drawing package
for Windows 3.0.  I am trying to migrate some users off the MACs in our
office and onto PC 386 machines, and it would make my life a whole lot
easier if I could offer them similar packages on the new environment.
CorelDraw is good, but MAC users find it too difficult to understand
compared to MACDraw.

ANY info is appreciated.  Thanks.

Clive.

= Clive Pickles - Systems Administrator MPR Teltech Ltd. (Ottawa) =
= Phone: (613) 787-4159 ------------------ E-mail: pickles@mpr.ca =

winslett@widor.cs.unc.edu (Michael Winslett) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.155145.29000@ottsun1.uucp>, pickles@mpr.ca (Clive
Pickles) writes:
|> Does anyone out there know if there exists a MACdraw-like drawing package
|> for Windows 3.0.

... rest deleted

|> ===================================================================
|> = Clive Pickles - Systems Administrator MPR Teltech Ltd. (Ottawa) =
|> = Phone: (613) 787-4159 ------------------ E-mail: pickles@mpr.ca =
|> ===================================================================

I am interested in this, too.  Please post your replies or mail them
to me as well.

- Michael
Michael E. Winslett		University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
winslett@cs.unc.edu		Department of Computer Science
(919) 962-1710			Sitterson Hall #121

andrew@b11.ingr.com (Poor Mr. Potter) (03/07/91)

pickles@mpr.ca (Clive Pickles) writes:

>Does anyone out there know if there exists a MACdraw-like drawing package
>for Windows 3.0.  I am trying to migrate some users off the MACs in our
>office and onto PC 386 machines, and it would make my life a whole lot
>easier if I could offer them similar packages on the new environment.
>CorelDraw is good, but MAC users find it too difficult to understand
>compared to MACDraw.

>ANY info is appreciated.  Thanks.

I find the new release of Micrographx DrawPlus useful, and although I
have not used MacDraw in several years, as best as I remember it, the
Micrographx product is organized and behaves similarly.  When I first
transitioned (around '87) from MacDraw to Draw-not-yet-Plus, the only
problems I had were due to a lack of features in Draw.  It has improved
a lot in the last few releases.  But there must be something wrong it,
I know of hardly anyone else who uses it.

Andrew

--
Andrew Potter                           |  "t-crosser
Intergraph Corp	        205-730-8673    |  	i-dotter"

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (03/07/91)

In article <andrew.668300301@madhouse> andrew@b11.ingr.com (Poor Mr. Potter) writes:
>pickles@mpr.ca (Clive Pickles) writes:
>
>>Does anyone out there know if there exists a MACdraw-like drawing package
>>for Windows 3.0.  I am trying to migrate some users off the MACs in our
>
>I find the new release of Micrographx DrawPlus useful, and although I
>have not used MacDraw in several years, as best as I remember it, the
>Micrographx product is organized and behaves similarly.  When I first
>transitioned (around '87) from MacDraw to Draw-not-yet-Plus, the only
>problems I had were due to a lack of features in Draw.  It has improved
>a lot in the last few releases.  But there must be something wrong it,
>I know of hardly anyone else who uses it.

I used Draw Plus a while back, and heartily recommend it. I'm also
curiour about where one can buy a Win 3.0 version. I'd heard that
Micrografx was not going to support it because of a move to Designer.

Another simple drawing program to look at is XVT Draw, which is also
object oriented, but real simple. Its on cica.cica.indiana.edu

kartik
--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

andrew@b11.ingr.com (Poor Mr. Potter) (03/08/91)

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

>In article <andrew.668300301@madhouse> andrew@b11.ingr.com (Poor Mr. Potter) writes:
>>pickles@mpr.ca (Clive Pickles) writes:
>>
>>>Does anyone out there know if there exists a MACdraw-like drawing package
>>>for Windows 3.0.  I am trying to migrate some users off the MACs in our
>>
>>I find the new release of Micrographx DrawPlus useful, and although I
>>have not used MacDraw in several years, as best as I remember it, the
>>Micrographx product is organized and behaves similarly.  When I first
>>transitioned (around '87) from MacDraw to Draw-not-yet-Plus, the only
>>problems I had were due to a lack of features in Draw.  It has improved
>>a lot in the last few releases.  But there must be something wrong it,
>>I know of hardly anyone else who uses it.

>I used Draw Plus a while back, and heartily recommend it. I'm also
>curiour about where one can buy a Win 3.0 version. I'd heard that
>Micrografx was not going to support it because of a move to Designer.

I got mine directly from Micrographx.  At the time, I did not really
consider going to Designer, and I wonder what its merits are.

andrew

--
Andrew Potter                           |  "t-crosser
Intergraph Corp	        205-730-8673    |  	i-dotter"
uunet!ingr!b23b!entropy!andrew          |  		Dr. Seuss

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (03/08/91)

We are using both MacDraw and Micrographics Draw (on 33MHz 386's).

The general impression is that MG Draw is less functional and
VERRRRRRRY SLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW compared with MacDraw.

Screen redraws take many seconds (you can watch the lines and letters
go up).

Sometimes when a drawing is pasted into WFW, some lines or arrowheads
don't make it.

Overall, MacDraw is much superior, IMHO.

Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/08/91)

Poor Mr. Potter <andrew@b11.ingr.com> writes:
> I got mine directly from Micrographx.  At the time, I did not really
> consider going to Designer, and I wonder what its merits are.

I'm another Draw Plus user: I have the Windows 3.0-compatible v1.1, which
works just fine.  It's not as slick as it might be, but it's quite
powerful in it's own right, and sells for about half the price of Corel
Draw or Designer.  I think the reason nobody has heard of it is because
I've *NEVER* seen any sort of Micrografx ad for DrawPlus; they only
advertise Designer.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (03/09/91)

|> I am interested in this, too.  Please post your replies or mail them
|> to me as well.

|> Michael E. Winslett          University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

XVTDraw is something which I use for most of my drawings (it occassionally
crashes, but since I installed the total 8MB on my 386/25 it
has not happened).

Interestingly, I had a chance to play around with CorelDraw v.1.21.
I really do not understand why some people are amazed with that tool.
You cannot even draw a line with arrows! To see what are the results of
the drawing, one has to open another window (and of course the things get
smaller, which makes it very difficult to draw at all). It is true that
there are some features which are not in XVTDraw, but I would not
switch from XVDraw to CorelDraw ver.1.21. If the version 2.00 (much
talked about on this newsgroup) does not change things radically, I cannot
understand what is the catch?

It is a real pity that the guys who implemented XVTDraw do not invest
a little bit of their time and effort to make the program comercially
available. Maybe they could give away the source code - I am sure that
soon somebody would "put a dot over i". What the program lacks the most
is importing and exporting capabilities and at least one font more,
namely symbol.

Neither CorelDraw (v.1.21) nor XVTDraw can compare with MacDraw.
Although PowerPoint is destined for something else, it is not bad
in drawings. I cannot say anything about Micrographx Designer.

What do other think?

PS

If there is something like MacDraw (say WinDraw) I would be glad to
hear about it (and pay for it, unless it is priced in the same way
as CorelDraw is).

I think that XVTDraw could sell for at least $50 as a shareware without
major improvements. If some suggestions were implemented, its price could
be in the $100 range and it still would be a success.

Andrzej Bieszczad                     | Phone:  (613) 763-2259
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.          | Fax:    (613) 763-3283
Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C, | USENET: uunet!bnrgate!eh!andrzej
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7      | BitNet: andrzej@BNR.CA

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (03/09/91)

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:

>Neither CorelDraw (v.1.21) nor XVTDraw can compare with MacDraw.
>Although PowerPoint is destined for something else, it is not bad
>in drawings. I cannot say anything about Micrographx Designer.

>What do other think?

We use Designer here, and are satisfied with it, mostly. Of course,
I have a wishlist (could be faster, less buggy, should have a symbolic
exchange format and/or programmability,...), but it has most of the
the features we need: arrows (-:, layers, continuous zoom, ability to
group symbols hierachicaly, the usual tools of a drawing program,
is able to make use of the available Windows/printer fonts, import/export
for metafiles and for bitmaps, semi-automatical and automatical autotrace,
online help, ...

It suffers a bit from featurism - the built-in outline fonts for example are
nearly unusable, even on my 486; they probably have been added as a reaction
to Corel Draw - but I hope that Micrografx will change their mind and
will improve and correct the available features instead of adding new
ones.

I don't have access to Corel Draw. But from what I read and from a
video tape advertising it, I got the impression that it is essentially
a program to make nice pictures. Designers strength is the creation
of pictures for technical documentation.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

bchin@is-next.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.160216.19111@bigsur.uucp> andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:

>Interestingly, I had a chance to play around with CorelDraw v.1.21.
>I really do not understand why some people are amazed with that tool.
>You cannot even draw a line with arrows! To see what are the results of
>the drawing, one has to open another window (and of course the things get
>smaller, which makes it very difficult to draw at all). It is true that
>there are some features which are not in XVTDraw, but I would not
>switch from XVDraw to CorelDraw ver.1.21. If the version 2.00 (much
>talked about on this newsgroup) does not change things radically, I cannot
>understand what is the catch?

You most certainly can draw a line with arrows.  I've worked with
both MacDraw and CorelDraw, and prefer CorelDraw.  I actually
have had less problems with Windows than with the Mac GUI.
I feel CorelDraw handles colors better, and has an efficient
and intuitive tools interface.  There are areas that
MacDraw handles better, like layering, but overall CorelDraw
is a more capable product.  MacDraw is more suited to
interior design, room layout stuff, while CorelDraw is an
illustrator's tool.  BTW, I've also played with Arts & Letters,
but not extensively.  On an 8514/A display (1024*758*256colors on
a 16 inch monitor) the tools are too hard to read.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to outlay on these products,
and that's my main gripe.  Also, one of the latest trade
rags gave CorelDraw higher honors than any other drawing package.

The thing to always remember is buy software designed for what
you want to do.  CorelDraw handles what I want to do
better than anything I've seen, and I've seen many packages
on many platforms.  Ultimately, however, I want a NeXT!  :-)

* I have no affiliation with any of the companies that produce
the products I mentioned other than as a user. *

--
 Bill Chin                    NeXT & internet: bchin@is-next.umd.edu
 MS-Windows Programmer             CompuServe: 74130,2714

SIV88002@NOBIVM.BITNET (Magnus Koeber) (03/11/91)

DESIGNER from Micrograph is very identical to MacDraw.  I myself have tried bot
h Corel Draw and Designer, and Designer is by far the most Easy-to-use product
of the two.

Mags - The Viking
        (  --> Magnus <-- "Gotta dig   Nodeid:             )
        (                  everywhere  SIV88002@NOBIVM     )
        (  Magnus Koeber   until I     Student of:         )
        (      OSLO        find it| "  Norvegian school of )
        (     NORWAY       Schultz     management.         )