[comp.windows.ms] Font Managers for Windows 3.0

dalbrich@oregon.uoregon.edu (03/10/91)

There are many font enhancement programs for Windows.  I am wondering
if any of you have a personal favorite that you feel is the best.
There are two basic types of font management programs that I have seen
so far.  The first type, works with bitmap fonts which are non-scalable.
i.e. when you resize one of these fonts, the type looks jagged.  These
programs seem to have only one solution to this problem, which is to
build many fonts at different sizes.  This process is time consumming
and wastes way too much hard disk space to be useful.  I believe
this first class of type managers are next to completely useless.
The second type which allow for on-the-fly resizing similar to postscript
technology is really what I am interested in.  I currently use Adobe
Type Manager.  Are there other (postscript interpreters or similar)
on the market that are better for use
with Windows 3.0?

ruthenb@bgsuvax.UUCP (Joe Ruthenberg) (03/11/91)

I currently use ATM on one machine (at work) and Bitstream's Facelift
on my home machine. ATM has the big advantage of lots of public domain
fonts (cica.cica.indiana.edu has about 100 of them), and has the nifty
synonym feature that lets you reassign fonts like Helv and Tms Rmn to
the bundled versions that are much nicer. Facelift has better printer
control and will generate HP laserjet softfonts. The printed output from
the two programs is about the same, although I would give Bitstream a
slight edge. However, if you have a Laserjet, Facelift will speed
its operation by about 150% Amazing.

Hope that helps.

Joe Ruthenberg
ruthenbe@einstein.bgsu.edu

craig@locus.com (Craig Bennett) (03/12/91)

In article <20553.27d955bc@oregon.uoregon.edu> dalbrich@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
>There are many font enhancement programs for Windows.  I am wondering
>if any of you have a personal favorite that you feel is the best.
>There are two basic types of font management programs that I have seen
>so far.  The first type, works with bitmap fonts which are non-scalable.
>i.e. when you resize one of these fonts, the type looks jagged.  These
>programs seem to have only one solution to this problem, which is to
>build many fonts at different sizes.  This process is time consumming
>and wastes way too much hard disk space to be useful.  I believe
>this first class of type managers are next to completely useless.
>The second type which allow for on-the-fly resizing similar to postscript
>technology is really what I am interested in.  I currently use Adobe
>Type Manager.  Are there other (postscript interpreters or similar)
>on the market that are better for use
>with Windows 3.0?

I have tried ATM and Bitstream Facelift both and I prefer Superprint by
Zenographics (sp?).  I am mainly concerned with the output to my non-postscript
laser and it works great!  The output is nearly as good as the Apple IINTX I
use at work.  Superprint has a queue which you can use to replace Windows
Print manager and it returns control to your app much sooner than WIN PM.

SP allows "on the fly" text in Windows apps and as far as I have experimented
with it, they look very good until you reach 30 or 40 point.  SP also
imports typefaces from ATM and Bitstream.  It's a bit more expensive than
the other packages, but as far as I'm concerned, it is well worth it.

craig

 ) Disclaimer: I'm not sure if I agree with my		Craig Bennett     )
 )             opinions. I'm *sure* my employer 	Locus Computing   )
 )             doesn't.				 Mail > craig@locus.com   )
 )  *** Always remember to... umm... umm... well never mind.              )