[comp.windows.ms] need 1024x768 monitor, advice about using it with herc

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ) (03/11/91)

        I've suddenly found myself with $800 I didn't plan on having,
looks like its time for a new monitor. I currently have a slightly
psychotic hercules monitor. I'd like to use the windows/code view
combination, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it - been
developing with toolbook (choke! puke! dBase DLL needs a visit
from an exterminator) and actor, and I'd like to move into some sort
of OO C environment. Anyway, heres the plan now ...

      DFI VGA card with Trident chipset + 512k of ram - where I shop
      these things are $104. Not as cool as the orchid card, but
      50% of the cost.

      NEC multisync 3D. I've seen these in use, and like 'em a lot.
      If theres something cheap that works as well, I'd go for it,
      but I've found skimping on hardware always bites you in the ass,
      sooner or later.

    If you've had a bad experience with either of these devices, or
think you know something better, mail me. If you sell either of
these units (prefer new /w warantee), don't hesitate to mail me
a quote.
--
   Neal   i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu
 "A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking (meant) for others!"

curt@cctb.wa.com (Curt Johnson) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.203542.27095@news.iastate.edu> i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ) writes:
|       NEC multisync 3D. I've seen these in use, and like 'em a lot.
|       If theres something cheap that works as well, I'd go for it,
|       but I've found skimping on hardware always bites you in the ass,
|       sooner or later.
|
|     If you've had a bad experience with either of these devices, or
| think you know something better, mail me.

I have a Sony 1304 at home, I've used a 3D in the past.  I like the Sony
better (mostly because the Sony does 1024x768 non-interlaced).  I couldn't
get the 3D to work in 1024x768 (I think the video card I had (or maybe it
was the driver) would only do non-interlaced, and the 3D can only do
1024x768 interlaced).

When I was computer shopping, I called around Seattle and found someone
who would sell the Sony for $650.  I don't know what it costs in Iowa,
but I'd think that you should be able to find in mail order for less than
$650.

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (03/11/91)

From article <1991Mar10.203542.27095@news.iastate.edu>, by i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ):

>         I've suddenly found myself with $800 I didn't plan on having,
> looks like its time for a new monitor. I currently have a slightly
> psychotic hercules monitor. I'd like to use the windows/code view
> combination, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it - been
> developing with toolbook (choke! puke! dBase DLL needs a visit
> from an exterminator) and actor, and I'd like to move into some sort
> of OO C environment. Anyway, heres the plan now ...
>

>       DFI VGA card with Trident chipset + 512k of ram - where I shop
>       these things are $104. Not as cool as the orchid card, but
>       50% of the cost.
>
>       NEC multisync 3D. I've seen these in use, and like 'em a lot.
>       If theres something cheap that works as well, I'd go for it,
>       but I've found skimping on hardware always bites you in the ass,
>       sooner or later.

Well, for the price of 3D (lowest I found is about $600), you can get a
Swan VGA 15.  I saw the ad in Computer Shoppers magazine for $599.  It is
15" compared to 14" of 3D; it is also non-interlaced 1024x768 instead of
interlaced of the 3D.  There are also some other options like the
Goldstar 16" VGA interlaced 1024x768 for $623 from USA-FLEX or
the Sumsang 17" VGA non-interlaced 1024x768 for about $890 from the
same company.  In any case please let us know what you did and what is
the result.

As for VGA cards, I have seen many poeple going to Tsang ET3000/4000
chipset card, which is used by many VGA boards including Cardinal, and
it has 1Mb onboard allowing 1024x768x256 interlaced or noninterlaced.  In
the office, we have 1024x768x256 working in Window 3.0 and in
WordPerfect 5.1 using the 8514/A software emulation.

Good luck!

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ) (03/12/91)

>I have a Sony 1304 at home, I've used a 3D in the past.  I like the Sony
>better (mostly because the Sony does 1024x768 non-interlaced).  I couldn't
>who would sell the Sony for $650.  I don't know what it costs in Iowa,

!	I was very happy w/ my Loop multisync.  For $389 you get 1024x768
!	NON-interlaced, and a 1-year warranty.  NEC can't touch non-
!	interlaced for that price.

      O.K., one vote for the 1304, one vote for the loop 1024x768
noninterlaced monitor, any other suggestions? $650 is a bit excessive,
IMHO, but thats only cause I need $250 to get the bike road-worthy
again :-)

     The next question, video boards ...

!	I'd go for a Trident 8900 w/ 1M of ram.  You can get one for
!	$130 from Silverado Distributing (see computer shopper)

      The price is right, and 1 meg more for $30 definitely cans the
board I was looking at. BTW, Silverado Distributing isn't listed in
any of the shoppers I have, could someone post an address for them?
I also can't find Loop ... maybe I'm just being stupid, I looked in
both indexes, products and advertisers

         Thanks for the help

--

sip1@quads.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) (03/12/91)

>>I have a Sony 1304 at home, I've used a 3D in the past.  I like the Sony
>>better (mostly because the Sony does 1024x768 non-interlaced).  I couldn't
>!	I was very happy w/ my Loop multisync.  For $389 you get 1024x768
>!	NON-interlaced, and a 1-year warranty.  NEC can't touch non-
>!	interlaced for that price.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an 800x600 (don't care about
1024x768 interlaced or noninterlaced), 14 inch, multisync monitor -- with
a composite video jack (for VCR)?  It would be nice to easily switch between
SuperVGA/VGA from the computer and (NTSC) video from the VCR.  Thoughts?
Will any such monitors also sync up to PAL?

[Careful on the cross posting -- I've expanded this thread beyond comp.
windows.ms for the time being.]

T.F.S.
Timothy F. Sipples				sip1@quads.uchicago.edu

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ) (03/12/91)

>>I have a Sony 1304 at home, $650
>!	I was very happy w/ my Loop multisync.  For $389 you get 1024x768

     Today I talked to a place that has 1024x768 Packard Bell monitors
(non interlaced) for $315??? Does anyone have one? I had one of their
640x480 monitors for a while, and it really could have used etching,
and I've had little trouble with the current mono unit I have now.

>!	I'd go for a Trident 8900 w/ 1M of ram.  You can get one for
>!	$130 from Silverado Distributing (see computer shopper)

   This still seems to be the weapon of choice for video, all other
suggestions have been wildly out of my price range - I want to spend
$400 on a video card, but I'm not _going_ to.

--
   Neal   i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu
 "A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking (meant) for others!"
   - Donatien-Alphonse-Francois de Sade
Whip me, beat me, make me write Cobol code under VMS/XA!