[net.auto] "hot" new car from Ford!Europe

jeff@oblio.UUCP (Jeff Buchanan) (01/17/85)

>Folks, A hell of a hot car has hit town from Ford!Europe.

I believe the name is Me-Kur canais (sic, ugh) but I do have to say that
this thing is a beast in sheeps clothing. First of all this car was designed
with the Autobahn in mind, so the suspension is firm to stiff with no
noticable roll and sticky tires. But the wild part is that it has a 2.6 6 in
it, and cranks out 245 hp. This gives it a top end of about 130-134 mph.
Ford is retooling it so that it takes a turbo-4 in america, but I think you
can get it with the six in it though. Check out you ford and mercury dealers
for the facts/pricing/availability.

Wow!!  A 156 CID six banger!  245 HP!  Oh my God, I can't conceive of
such horsepower!!  I sure hope I don't get challenged to a race
when I'm cruising around in my '66 Corvette with open chambered 427 L-88
engine.  I tremble at the very thought!

jackh@zehntel.UUCP (jack hagerty) (01/22/85)

> > But the wild part is that it has a 2.6 6 in
> >it, and cranks out 245 hp. This gives it a top end of about 130-134 mph.
> >

> Wow!!  A 156 CID six banger!  245 HP!  Oh my God, I can't conceive of
> such horsepower!!  I sure hope I don't get challenged to a race
> when I'm cruising around in my '66 Corvette with open chambered 427 L-88
> engine.  I tremble at the very thought!
>
>                      Jeff Buchanan

It's nice to see that you're still with us, Jeff.
--

                    Jack Hagerty, Zehntel Automation Systems
                          ...!ihnp4!zehntel!jackh

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (01/22/85)

In article <221@oblio.UUCP> jeff@oblio.UUCP (Jeff Buchanan) writes:

>>Folks, A hell of a hot car has hit town from Ford!Europe.
>>
>>I believe the name is Me-Kur canais (sic, ugh) but I do have to say that
>>this thing is a beast in sheeps clothing. First of all this car was designed
>>with the Autobahn in mind, so the suspension is firm to stiff with no
>>noticable roll and sticky tires. But the wild part is that it has a 2.6 6 in
>>it, and cranks out 245 hp. This gives it a top end of about 130-134 mph.
>>Ford is retooling it so that it takes a turbo-4 in america, but I think you
>>can get it with the six in it though. Check out you ford and mercury dealers
>>for the facts/pricing/availability.

>Wow!!  A 156 CID six banger!  245 HP!  Oh my God, I can't conceive of
>such horsepower!!  I sure hope I don't get challenged to a race
>when I'm cruising around in my '66 Corvette with open chambered 427 L-88
>engine.  I tremble at the very thought!

Yeah, I'd hope so, too.  Do you have a firm suspension and chassis?
Nah, a solid rear axle is an old muscle car favourite --- not exactly
super handling.  And sticky tires?  Oh, old yankee-style L50-15 bias
plys or something of the sort with cat-size white lettering.  Your
'vette also likely gets about two miles to the gallon, instead of the
respectable fuel economy of the Merkur (which is *not* available with
the six).  Oh, I'm sure you could blow a Merkur off at a stoplight,
but how about around Sears Point?  I'd be certainly interested (could
you do a full lap without refueling?  :-) ).  Move over, grandpa ---
the times have changed!  There's more to life than the quartermile...

			\tom haapanen
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

dhd@hou4b.UUCP (D.H.Dawdy) (01/23/85)

It figures a "hot" new car would result in "flames".
....not everyone defines "hot" the same way.
....not everyone wants the same thing from a car.

Some people define performance with longevity, some
with handling, and some with acceleration;
actually, performance should include all of these, plus...

I find it a curious and juvenile thing that those who like cars
with superb handling like to scoff at those who have an
affinity for cars with less handling and greater quickness.
And, it's also a curious thing that those who like the quickness
scoff at those who get their kicks in the curves.

It should be obvious that each model has it's own
advantages and disadvantages.