[comp.windows.ms] ATI VGA Wonder+ Testsy

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) (03/12/91)

In article <13290@helios.TAMU.EDU>, jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) writes:
> In article <91069.220813LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Hubert Lai) writes:
>>In article <13136@helios.TAMU.EDU>, jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) says:
>>
>>>2) 70 Hz refresh in all video modes for no flicker.
>>
>>Can the new Wonder+ do 70 Hz refresh on my trusty old NEC Multisync II?
>>That's not the same as the Multisync 2A or 3D.  If it does, will it do
>>it in both 800x600 and 1024x768 modes?
>>
> I don't know.  I've used it on various monitors, but none as old as the II.
>
> My assumption is yes, as it runs 70 Hz on both 1024x768 interlaced or non-
> interlaced monitors, as well as 800x600 modes.  It does kill flicker quite
> effectively.

Well, I don't know about that.  Interlaced monitors are not capable of such
high refresh rates.  That's why they flicker.  They draw all the odd scan lines
first, then go back and draw all the even ones.  The overall effect is a
refresh rate of about 43 Hz (at least on the interlaced monitor I had, at
1024x768.)  If an interlaced monitor is capable of the high refresh rates at
1024x768, it probably wouldn't be called an interlaced monitor.

My old ATI board ran 1024x768 interlaced precisely because they wished
compatibility with interlaced monitors.  New boards offer assorted modes
where it can run high refresh on monitors capable of it, and low refresh on
those that can't.

The questions you need to get answered about using an NEC MS II are:
What are the vertical and horizontal scan rates the NEC II is capable of?
What " " does the ATI require for 70 Hz refresh in assorted resolutions?

Good luck,
Bryon Daly

Followups should go to:   (I don't know how to redirect them, myself) :-)
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware