[comp.windows.ms] Wierd Progman problem - it iconizes itself.

lwallace@javelin.es.com (Lynn Wallace) (03/12/91)

Note, I re-booted from a BASIC environment running under Windows
before noticing this problem.  I'd just returned from a trip and the system had
been used by my family, etc.

Now, whenever I open an application from Program Manager (by double-clicking),
Program Manager minimizes itself.  CodeView for Windows (I'm a programmer) tells
me this occurs when (or near) the application opens its own window.
Several programs do this; I don't remember seeing one that doesn't.

It's not a terrible problem; I just have to re-open Progman.  Ring any bells?
--
Lynn Wallace			   |I am not an official representative of
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.| <- E&S.  Or for that matter, unofficial.

mph@hp835.mitek.com (Mike Hare) (03/12/91)

I take it you have already checcked the "Minimize on Use" pop-up menu
and it is not turned on.  - Mike

aden@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (ADEN_S_SPENSER) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.191152.20442@javelin.es.com>, lwallace@javelin.es.com (Lynn Wallace) writes...
>Now, whenever I open an application from Program Manager (by double-clicking),
>Program Manager minimizes itself.  CodeView for Windows (I'm a programmer) tells
>me this occurs when (or near) the application opens its own window.
>Several programs do this; I don't remember seeing one that doesn't.
>
>It's not a terrible problem; I just have to re-open Progman.  Ring any bells?

(ding!)  The "Minimize On Use" flag in the Options Menu has been set.  You'll
see a check mark beside it when you pull down that Menu.

Uh, not a flame (really), but you might RTM something like this next time.
It's no secret.

--
S. Spenser Aden  --  Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Co. --  (713) 483-2028
NASA -- Johnson Space Center, Houston -- Flight Data and Evaluation Office

aden@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (ADEN_S_SPENSER) writes:
>Uh, not a flame (really), but you might RTM something like this next time.
>It's no secret.

Yes, I do feel rather stupid.

I hate it when these solutions turn out to be trivial...

Thanks for your help, everyone.
--

charlesi@cpqhou.uucp (Charles Inman) (03/12/91)

in article <1991Mar11.191152.20442@javelin.es.com>, lwallace@javelin.es.com (Lynn Wallace) says:

> Note, I re-booted from a BASIC environment running under Windows
> before noticing this problem.  I'd just returned from a trip and the system had
> been used by my family, etc.
>
> Now, whenever I open an application from Program Manager (by double-clicking),
> Program Manager minimizes itself.

In Program Manager's "Options" menu there is an option called "Minimize on use"
If this option has a check mark next to it, then this is your problem.

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (03/12/91)

lwallace@javelin.es.com (Lynn Wallace) writes:
> Now, whenever I open an application from Program Manager (by double-clicking)
> Program Manager minimizes itself.  CodeView for Windows (I'm a programmer) te
> me this occurs when (or near) the application opens its own window.
> Several programs do this; I don't remember seeing one that doesn't.

I don't believe this...

Try looking under the Options menu. The one you want is "Minimize on use".
Deselect it.

mathew