[comp.windows.ms] Is there an ftp site for upgrade win 3.0a?

ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) (03/06/91)

I just got off the phone with microsoft windows tech support and they are mailing
me an upgrade for win 3.0 to make it win 3.0a.  Adobe claims this will fix some
of the UAE problems between Designer and Word4Win. Estimated arrival time is
2 to 3 weeks. (ugh!)

He told me it is out on compuserve and genie but I don't have accounts for this.

Is there an ftp site that I can get this from?

Toodles
Andy
--
Andy Register  Internet: ar12@prism.gatech.edu   Bitnet: aregiste@gtri01.bitnet

-- Sometimes the Bears Win, Sometimes the Bulls Win --
    -------- But the Pigs *Always* Lose --------              (author unknown)

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (03/07/91)

In article <23628@hydra.gatech.EDU> ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) writes:

>I just got off the phone with microsoft windows tech support and they are mailing
>me an upgrade for win 3.0 to make it win 3.0a.  Adobe claims this will fix some
>of the UAE problems between Designer and Word4Win. Estimated arrival time is
>2 to 3 weeks. (ugh!)

Will the upgrade be sent out to everyone? Or does one have to
specifically request it?
--Gerry
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.203143.19202@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>In article <23628@hydra.gatech.EDU> ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) writes:
>>
>>I just got off the phone with microsoft windows tech support and they are mailing
>>me an upgrade for win 3.0 to make it win 3.0a.  Adobe claims this will fix some
>>of the UAE problems between Designer and Word4Win. Estimated arrival time is
>>2 to 3 weeks. (ugh!)
>>
>Will the upgrade be sent out to everyone? Or does one have to
>specifically request it?
>--Gerry
>ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu

No, the upgrade is NOT available via Genie or Cserve.  And NO, it will not
be sent to everyone.  3.0a is a bug fix which addresses 4 specific problems
related to standard mode on 286s on Novell or NetBIOS compatible networks
with 1 meg of RAM.

In order to get the upgrade, call MS Tech Support(206) 454-2030 and
try to convince them that you need it.  Either that or refuse to get off
 the phone until they send it.

The update consists of a completely new set of Windows diskettes.  The dates
on all of the files have been changed but only 4-6 of the files are actually
new.  The Supplement Driver Library drivers are more recent than the drivers
on the 3.0a disks.  Changes have been made to ProgMan and FileMan to reflect
the new version number.

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar7.170748.25606@sbcs.sunysb.edu>
altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>... 3.0a is a bug fix which addresses 4 specific problems
>related to standard mode on 286s on Novell or NetBIOS compatible networks
>with 1 meg of RAM.
>The update consists of a completely new set of Windows diskettes.  The dates
>on all of the files have been changed but only 4-6 of the files are actually
>new.  The Supplement Driver Library drivers are more recent than the drivers
>on the 3.0a disks.  Changes have been made to ProgMan and FileMan to reflect
>the new version number.

I had a look at Windows 3.00a (sic) recently when a new PC arrived in
our department with it already installed. There is at least one more
bugfix than the ones mentioned above: the really stupid bug in File
Manager where floppy disk volume labels aren't updated after you swap
disks (at least my Windows 3.00 didn't) is now fixed.

Only Program Manager FileManager and WinVer seem to have the new 3.00a
version number.

Has anybody noticed the DIR datestamps on the 3.00a files: "31-10-90 3:00a"
I wonder if another release before 3.1 will be called 3.00p :^).

| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|

Renee@cup.portal.com (Renee Linda Roberts) (03/13/91)

Mine arrived in only 3 days, via Fed Ex.

Renee Roberts