[comp.windows.ms] Windows lockup solution

paulb@minster.york.ac.uk (03/09/91)

For ages I've been having problems with Windows locking up periodically.
It's always temporary (i.e. if you wait, the system frees up), but
frequent.  The more concurrent activities, and the more disk accesses
going on, the more likely it is to occur.  I'm sure I can remember
someone complaining about the same thing here some while ago.

Well, I've found *THE ANSWER* (no, not 42).  If you place the line
VirtualHDIrq=on
in the [386Enh] section of your system.ini, the problem goes away.
According to the Microsoft release notes, the default setting of this
switch is "on", but if I explicitly switch it off, the problem recurs.

Anyone care to hazard a guess about what's going on?

Paul.

PS I haven't exhaustively tested this yet, but I'm fairly confident that
   the problem has gone away.

+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|Paul Butcher              | JANET:  paulb@uk.ac.york.minster              |
|Dept. of Computer Science | EARN:   paulb@minster.york.ac.uk              |
|University of York        | UUNET:  ..!uunet!mcsun!ukc!minster!paulb      |
|York  YO1 5DD  ENGLAND    | ARPA:   paulb%york.minster@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk |
|Tel: (0904) 432760        | Alternative address:                          |
|     (+44 904) 432760     |         PRAB1@uk.ac.york                      |
+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) (03/14/91)

In article <668448697.4413@minster.york.ac.uk> paulb@minster.york.ac.uk writes:
>For ages I've been having problems with Windows locking up periodically.
>It's always temporary (i.e. if you wait, the system frees up), but
>frequent.  The more concurrent activities, and the more disk accesses
>going on, the more likely it is to occur.

I thought I had a periodic lockup problem at one time with a 2Mb machine, when
in fact (I discovered) that Windows was just busy swapping one non-Windows app.
to disk and swapping one non-Windows app to memory; I didn't notice the disk
light flashing.  When I looked at the screen, it appeared locked, but if I
just waited awhile, the system freed up.

Could this be your problem?  Just a suggestion.

--
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||