[comp.windows.ms] Non-Windows Apps Icons

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar12.165438.12792@cbnewsk.att.com> konopka@cbnewsk.att.com (raymond.konopka..jr) writes:
>I have a number of Non-Windows apps installed in the Non-Win Apps
>group under program manager in Win 3.0.  I have used the
>ICONDRAW.EXE program to create Icons for these programs.
>The problem that I have been experiencing is this:  The icons come up
>fine in the Non-Win Apps Window, but if I run one of these applications
>in a window (I am in 386 enhanced), and then reduce the window to
>an icon, the icon changes to the DOS icon provided by Windows 3.0.
>
>Is there any way to force windows to use the icon that I created?

This is an incredibly frequently asked question.

The answer is no.  When you tell Program Manager to use a special icon
file for a program item in one of its groups, that is ALL you have done:
told Program Manager.  When an application is iconized onto the Desktop,
Progman is out of the loop.  The Windows iconizer only knows to look in
the .EXE file for an icon.  All DosApps get the DOS icon.

konopka@cbnewsk.att.com (raymond.konopka..jr) (03/13/91)

I have a number of Non-Windows apps installed in the Non-Win Apps
group under program manager in Win 3.0.  I have used the
ICONDRAW.EXE program to create Icons for these programs.
The problem that I have been experiencing is this:  The icons come up
fine in the Non-Win Apps Window, but if I run one of these applications
in a window (I am in 386 enhanced), and then reduce the window to
an icon, the icon changes to the DOS icon provided by Windows 3.0.

Is there any way to force windows to use the icon that I created?

Any help or comments are welcome,
Ray Konopka
konopka@ihlpm.att.com

) (03/13/91)

In article <20339553@bfmny0.BFM.COM>, tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> In article <1991Mar12.165438.12792@cbnewsk.att.com> konopka@cbnewsk.att.com (raymond.konopka..jr) writes:
>>I have a number of Non-Windows apps installed in the Non-Win Apps
>>group under program manager in Win 3.0.  I have used the
>>ICONDRAW.EXE program to create Icons for these programs.
>>The problem that I have been experiencing is this:  The icons come up
>>fine in the Non-Win Apps Window, but if I run one of these applications
>>in a window (I am in 386 enhanced), and then reduce the window to
>>an icon, the icon changes to the DOS icon provided by Windows 3.0.
>>
>>Is there any way to force windows to use the icon that I created?
>
> This is an incredibly frequently asked question.
>
> The answer is no.  When you tell Program Manager to use a special icon
VIEWICON has an utility (PUTICON) which is supposed to append icons to an
EXE file.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar12.165438.12792@cbnewsk.att.com> konopka@cbnewsk.att.com (raymond.konopka..jr) writes:
>I have a number of Non-Windows apps installed in the Non-Win Apps
>group under program manager in Win 3.0.  I have used the
>ICONDRAW.EXE program to create Icons for these programs.
>The problem that I have been experiencing is this:  The icons come up
>fine in the Non-Win Apps Window, but if I run one of these applications
>in a window (I am in 386 enhanced), and then reduce the window to
>an icon, the icon changes to the DOS icon provided by Windows 3.0.
>
>Is there any way to force windows to use the icon that I created?

No.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (03/14/91)

In article <20339553@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>In article <1991Mar12.165438.12792@cbnewsk.att.com> konopka@cbnewsk.att.com (raymond.konopka..jr) writes:
>>I have a number of Non-Windows apps installed in the Non-Win Apps
>>group under program manager in Win 3.0.  I have used the
>>ICONDRAW.EXE program to create Icons for these programs.
>>The problem that I have been experiencing is this:  The icons come up
>>fine in the Non-Win Apps Window, but if I run one of these applications
>>in a window (I am in 386 enhanced), and then reduce the window to
>>an icon, the icon changes to the DOS icon provided by Windows 3.0.
>>
>>Is there any way to force windows to use the icon that I created?
>
>This is an incredibly frequently asked question.
>
>The answer is no.  When you tell Program Manager to use a special icon
>file for a program item in one of its groups, that is ALL you have done:
>told Program Manager.  When an application is iconized onto the Desktop,
>Progman is out of the loop.  The Windows iconizer only knows to look in
>the .EXE file for an icon.  All DosApps get the DOS icon.

Actually you must set the icon by setting the class icon when you register the
class in a windows application. You can use the standard IDI_APPLICATION icon,
but this is just a little blank box with a border. You would have to load the
icon from one built into the resource to get a different one.

Of course this only applies to windows apps.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar14.005119.22489@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@SunOS (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>Actually you must set the icon by setting the class icon when you register the
>class in a windows application. You can use the standard IDI_APPLICATION icon,
>but this is just a little blank box with a border. You would have to load the
>icon from one built into the resource to get a different one.
>
>Of course this only applies to windows apps.

Right, and therefore it has NOTHING to do with the original question,
which was how to customize desktop icons for Non-Windows apps!