[comp.windows.ms] Sound Driver for Windows 3.0

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (03/11/91)

Any body ever used a SoundBlaster/Adlib sound driver for MS Windows 3.0 ?
I got one shareware product over the weekend. Can't remember the name
of the package off hand. It has 3 pieces, a sound driver called "fm.drv"
which replaces Windows' "sound.drv"; a instrument editor called "instedit.exe"
and a background music player called "player.exe". It came in a ZIP
package called "fmsound.zip".

Well, I got it to work on a 286 machine running Windows 3.0 in standard
mode. However, on my 386 running QEMM386 with Windows 3.0, the system
crashes after two consecutive UAE's when I try to run the "player.exe"
application. Windows fired up with the "fm.drv" okay.

Any clue to what is going on ?

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (03/12/91)

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:

>Any body ever used a SoundBlaster/Adlib sound driver for MS Windows 3.0 ?
>I got one shareware product over the weekend. Can't remember the name
>of the package off hand. It has 3 pieces, a sound driver called "fm.drv"
>which replaces Windows' "sound.drv"; a instrument editor called "instedit.exe"
>and a background music player called "player.exe". It came in a ZIP
>package called "fmsound.zip".

>Well, I got it to work on a 286 machine running Windows 3.0 in standard
>mode. However, on my 386 running QEMM386 with Windows 3.0, the system
>crashes after two consecutive UAE's when I try to run the "player.exe"
>application. Windows fired up with the "fm.drv" okay.

>Any clue to what is going on ?

No. The combination SoundBlaster driver (it says: FM Driver Version 00.90
by Monty Schmidt), Windows in Enhanced Mode and QEMM (version 5.11) does
work on my machine. I never had UAE crashes when using the player.exe
program (version 0.5).

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

) (03/12/91)

In article <600001@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com>, plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:
> Well, I got it to work on a 286 machine running Windows 3.0 in standard
> mode. However, on my 386 running QEMM386 with Windows 3.0, the system
> crashes after two consecutive UAE's when I try to run the "player.exe"
> application. Windows fired up with the "fm.drv" okay.
>
> Any clue to what is going on ?
>

> Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
> Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
>                                ########################################### :
> E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
> Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
> Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
>                                              Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !
>
> #include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>
What is your system?  I never had that problem with fm.drv.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

martin@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Martin Wink) (03/14/91)

Someone here was getting fatal exits when using the FM sound driver
and associated applications.  After some time investigating the
problem it was tracked down to having a large number of strings in
DOS environment variables.

Looking inside of the Player's data segment with HeapWalk, you can see
a copy of the DOS environment variables in its local heap.  If you
don't make use of it, it's long been suggested that you should
explicitly free 'environ' when your application starts up.  None of the
standard MS applications I looked at have the variables in their heap.

Unfortunately I can't find a reference or example of it being done to
say exactly how to do it, but I would guess that LocalFree(environ)
would do it.  Maybe someone else can refresh me on that.

cheers.........
   martin wink.
   HP Pinewood Information Systems Division, UK.