[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT/NET 1.5 problem SOLVED

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/08/91)

I posted a problem about getting WinQVT/Net to run
on a Model 55SX. The problem was no matter what I
tried I got the error message:

Stop! Network Initialization Error!

The problem was too many hosts in my QVT_TCP.RC file.
It now has 11 hosts specified (including the Gateway
and one Name Server) and its happy. Apparently the
host menu can only accomodate 11 entries. Any more and
the program chokes. Perhaps the author had trouble
getting a scroll bar to work in that menu?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/15/91)

*>I posted a problem about getting WinQVT/Net to run
*>on a Model 55SX. The problem was no matter what I
*>tried I got the error message:

*>Stop! Network Initialization Error!

*>The problem was too many hosts in my QVT_TCP.RC file.
*>It now has 11 hosts specified (including the Gateway
*>and one Name Server) and its happy. Apparently the
*>host menu can only accomodate 11 entries. Any more and
*>the program chokes. Perhaps the author had trouble
*>getting a scroll bar to work in that menu?

Hmmmm... this is getting more and more perplexing. A
friend of mine has a QVT_TCP.RC with about 15 hosts,
and his works fine! He says he had to delete all the
comments to get it to work. Well, I tried that and
still got the errors, which I could get to dissapear
deleting the hosts one by one until it worked. Strange!

By the way, I've discovered another annoying trait. In
emacs, I now have to type ctrl-shift-2 to get a mark
set. In Telnet a simple ctrl-2 worked fine.

Paste to VMS machines still doesn't work. Is there a
way to get Windows to slow down its paste routine?

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.171203.21635@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>Hmmmm... this is getting more and more perplexing. A
>friend of mine has a QVT_TCP.RC with about 15 hosts,
>and his works fine! He says he had to delete all the
>comments to get it to work. Well, I tried that and
>still got the errors, which I could get to dissapear
>deleting the hosts one by one until it worked. Strange!

It is possible that the problems with qvtnet 1.5 are related to the
qvt_tcp.rc file that came with qvtnet 1.5. One of the things I didn't
mention about fixing my problems was that I went back to the .rc file
that came with 1.3, and typed in the stuff that seemed important from
1.5. I recall someone else saying that the line that makes sessions
automatically start has a bug in it (missing underline character.) I
have >15 hosts in my .rc, and it works.

I do find, however, that qvtnet is flaky, and will crash at times (esp
during ftp/anonymous ftp transfers). This seems to screw up the packet
driver, because qvtnet will not run ater that, saying that it can't
find the packet driver. The only way I can get it to work after that
is to reboot my machine. Pain, to say the least.

>By the way, I've discovered another annoying trait. In
>emacs, I now have to type ctrl-shift-2 to get a mark
>set. In Telnet a simple ctrl-2 worked fine.

this might have something to do with the way the keyboard driver in
windows works. I have actually, always used ctrl-shift-2, because the
mark character is ctrl-@...

>Paste to VMS machines still doesn't work. Is there a
>way to get Windows to slow down its paste routine?

Paste does work under unix, though I haven't tried any large pastes.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)