[comp.windows.ms] IP Addresses for Sites

doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) (03/07/91)

**Flame on**

Can we all try to make it a habit of including the ip address in
numeric form whenever we specify a site?

For example, "you can get it on cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22)".

I get so frustrated when I read a note that doesn't include the numeric
address.  Please don't assume that everyone reading your response has
access to a lookup table or that their system knows about the site by
name alone.

It is easy to forget that the rest of the world isn't as knowledgeable as
we.

douginoz.

coshima@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Craig Oshima) (03/08/91)

In article <2770014@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>**Flame on**
>
>Can we all try to make it a habit of including the ip address in
>numeric form whenever we specify a site?
>
>For example, "you can get it on cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22)".
>
>I get so frustrated when I read a note that doesn't include the numeric
>address.  Please don't assume that everyone reading your response has
>access to a lookup table or that their system knows about the site by
>name alone.

#include<counterflame.h>

Yes, please *don't* assume that everyone else has knowledge of those
ip addresses.  Frankly, I couldn't tell you the address of my own host,
let alone sites elsewhere...and I see the ip address here everytime
I log on.  Sorry, but I don't plan on keeping track of the numbers
so I can include them every time I mention a site.

Craig

coshima@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Craig Oshima) (03/08/91)

doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:

>**Flame on**

>Can we all try to make it a habit of including the ip address in
>numeric form whenever we specify a site?

>For example, "you can get it on cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22)".

>I get so frustrated when I read a note that doesn't include the numeric
>address.  Please don't assume that everyone reading your response has
>access to a lookup table or that their system knows about the site by
>name alone.

#include<counterflame.h>

Yes, let's *not* assume that everyone else knows the numeric address.
Frankly, I couldn't tell you the numeric address for my own host, let
alone sites elsewhere...and I see the numeric address here every time
I log on.  Sorry, but I have no intention of keeping track of the numbers
just so I can include them every time I mention a site.

Craig

rfl@po.CWRU.Edu (Ronald F. Lamb) (03/08/91)

In a previous article, coshima@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Craig Oshima) says:

>Craig

Alright don't you think 4 postings was too much.

Ron
--
-----rfl------------------------------
Ronald F. Lamb | Entry denied,
	       | what a bummer

shawn@ka.excelan.com (Shawn Nunley) (03/09/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1991 19:44:17 GMT

In article <2770014@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:

>>Can we all try to make it a habit of including the ip address in
>>numeric form whenever we specify a site?
>>
>>For example, "you can get it on cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22)".
>>
>>I get so frustrated when I read a note that doesn't include the numeric
>>address.  Please don't assume that everyone reading your response has
>>access to a lookup table or that their system knows about the site by
>>name alone.

So Craig Oshima *HAD* to flame him with this...

>#include<counterflame.h>
>
>Yes, let's *not* assume that everyone else knows the numeric address.
>Frankly, I couldn't tell you the numeric address for my own host, let
>alone sites elsewhere...and I see the numeric address here every time
>I log on.  Sorry, but I have no intention of keeping track of the numbers
>just so I can include them every time I mention a site.
>
>Craig

Christ! It amazes me that not even comp.windows.ms can escape the trigger
happy flame throwers that lurk on this net! Doug had a very good suggestion
that we all TRY (meaninig 'if you can, and you remember to') to include
numeric IP addresses when talking about FTP sites. That is a GREAT suggestion
and I hope people do just that. The fact that Craig is insulted by this
helpful suggestion is f**king crazy (IMHO). I couldn't care less if Craig
is going to refuse to jot down numbers, And I hope that he has not managed
to influence others to beleive that this is not a polite request.

Sorry I had to join in thae flame fest, but if you can't beat 'em...

shawn

/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet: shawn@ka.novell.com             I'm in the high fidelity,     |
| UUCP: {ames,sun,apple,mtxinu,cae780,sco}  first class travelling set    |
|          !novell!shawn                    and I think I need a Lear Jet |
| Shawn Nunley    Tel: (408) 473-8630                                     |
\-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

sday@ariel.unm.edu (Stephen F. Day UNM CIRT) (03/15/91)

In article <2770014@hparc0.HP.COM>, doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
> **Flame on**
>
> Can we all try to make it a habit of including the ip address in
> numeric form whenever we specify a site?
>
> For example, "you can get it on cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22)".
>
> I get so frustrated when I read a note that doesn't include the numeric
> address.  Please don't assume that everyone reading your response has
> access to a lookup table or that their system knows about the site by
> name alone.

A good suggestion, Doug!  I'll do my best to remember to post both in the
future.

> It is easy to forget that the rest of the world isn't as knowledgeable as
> we.

Is it my understanding that you do not have `nslookup' at your site?  I find
that TCP/IP tool invaluable!  It's really great for converting verbose site addresses into their numeric IP address and vice versa.

In fact, that's how I usually translate site addresses into their respective
IP address....  I pop up a window (what a concept! ;^) and invoke nslookup.

> douginoz.

Oh... in my signature below, ariel.UNM.EDU == 129.24.8.1

--
    Stephen F. Day                 AT&TNET:      (505) 277-8499
    Analyst/Consultant             BITNET/CREN:  SDAY@UNMB