[comp.windows.ms] Paradox 3.5 and WIN 3.0 help

kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) (03/07/91)

I am currently running WIN 3.0 on a 386 in the ENHANCED mode.

I looking for tips on how to run Paradox 3.5 from WIN 3.0 in this
mode.  Currently WINDOWS is complaining about Paradox being a
PROTECTED mode application.  Well, I want to run Paradox in
the PROTECTED mode.

Any suggestions sure will be appreciated!

Ken Isacson         Sysop - Board Of Trade BBS  GT 016/001
kji@vpnet.chi.il.us         (815) 753 - 0042

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (03/09/91)

kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) writes:

>I am currently running WIN 3.0 on a 386 in the ENHANCED mode.

>I looking for tips on how to run Paradox 3.5 from WIN 3.0 in this
>mode.  Currently WINDOWS is complaining about Paradox being a
>PROTECTED mode application.  Well, I want to run Paradox in
>the PROTECTED mode.

>Any suggestions sure will be appreciated!

Old DOS applications (which is Windows lingo for everything which
isn't a Windows program) must be created with a DOS extender supporting
the Dos Protected Mode Interface (DPMI), in order to run in protected
mode (Windows programs do it anyway). DPMI is quite new and starts
to replace the older VCPI (Virtual Control Program Interface, if I
remember correctly). There are already a few programs which support the
DPMI (Zortech C/C++, for example), but many programs still are restricted
to VCPI (or use their own extender interface).

What does the Paradox 3.5 documentation say about it?

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

hanj@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jining Han) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar07.013042.26527@vpnet.chi.il.us> kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) writes:
>I am currently running WIN 3.0 on a 386 in the ENHANCED mode.
>
>I looking for tips on how to run Paradox 3.5 from WIN 3.0 in this
>mode.  Currently WINDOWS is complaining about Paradox being a
>PROTECTED mode application.  Well, I want to run Paradox in
>the PROTECTED mode.

     I think this is caused by the fact that both Windows 3.0
and Paradox 3.5 by default try to use high memory to its maximum,
so when you run Paradox 3.5 under Windows (Ehn mode), there is
bound to be contention and conflict.  So if you want to run Paradox in the
PROTECTED mode, you need to run it from DOS, just as you have
installed it from DOS.

     I have not tried to modify the pif file for Paradox nor
reconfigure Paradox (running the Custom scrip), but I would
certainly try various combinations to see if it works.

>Any suggestions sure will be appreciated!
>
>--
>Ken Isacson         Sysop - Board Of Trade BBS  GT 016/001
>kji@vpnet.chi.il.us         (815) 753 - 0042

Jining Han		     	|		  Indiana University

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.234630.20522@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> hanj@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jining Han) writes:
>In article <1991Mar07.013042.26527@vpnet.chi.il.us> kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) writes:
>>I am currently running WIN 3.0 on a 386 in the ENHANCED mode.
>>
>>I looking for tips on how to run Paradox 3.5 from WIN 3.0 in this
>>mode.  Currently WINDOWS is complaining about Paradox being a

>bound to be contention and conflict.  So if you want to run Paradox in the
>PROTECTED mode, you need to run it from DOS, just as you have
>installed it from DOS.

I tried to do this a while ago, and while I wasn't completely successful, I
think I know why by now.  First, there are a couple of parameters in the
paradox command line you need, one of which (I think) was -real, which shuts
down the protected mode slop.  ANother may have been -share, but I'm not sure.
I seem to recall something in a readme file or in one of the manuals.
Borland themselves were somewhere between helpful and clueless.

Once you get past the protected mode trouble, however, you're not home free.
At that point I had paradox complaining about not enough DOS files/buffers.
I of course ran them to very high numbers in config.sys but with no effect.

What I have since seen, but never tried due to lack of further interest in
forcing paradox to run, is a setting in the [386enh] section of system.ini
that lets you put in a line like this (ta da):

	PerVMFiles=dd

The default is 10, which works for most apps, but not for paradox.  Presumably,
bumping this past the paradox minimum will do the trick.  (Actually, there
is an amazing trove of things in the sysini*.txt files.  DualDisplay was
also a major fix for UAE's and such in my VGA/MDA setup, automatic display
detection notwithstanding).

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (03/13/91)

kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) writes:

>I am currently running WIN 3.0 on a 386 in the ENHANCED mode.
>
>I looking for tips on how to run Paradox 3.5 from WIN 3.0 in this
>mode.  Currently WINDOWS is complaining about Paradox being a
>PROTECTED mode application.  Well, I want to run Paradox in
>the PROTECTED mode.

Paradox (and most protected mode programs) WON'T run under windows in
protected mode.  HOWEVER, I experimented just a little bit and found
that if you first customize Paradox to run in REAL mode or use the
-real command line option, then when Paradox starts up, W3 complains
about a Protected mode application.  However, it DOES create an icon
for it!  So if you maximize the icon, Paradox RUNS FINE!  At least,
the testing I've done has run fine.  Curious, eh?
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :

Wah.Chuck@samba.acs.unc.edu (Wah Chuck) (03/15/91)

>Paradox (and most protected mode programs) WON'T run under windows in
>protected mode.  HOWEVER, I experimented just a little bit and found
>that if you first customize Paradox to run in REAL mode or use the
>-real command line option, then when Paradox starts up, W3 complains
>about a Protected mode application.  However, it DOES create an icon
>for it!  So if you maximize the icon, Paradox RUNS FINE!  At least,
>the testing I've done has run fine.  Curious, eh?

Try   paradox -real  -win  at the command line.
	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.acs.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30