[comp.windows.ms] Help installing Hyperdisk

ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) (03/05/91)

After reading the posts about Hyperdisk I went and pulled it off of
wuarchive and tried it out. It does work MUCH faster than smartdrv,
after using NCACHE I was very disheartened by the poor performance of
smartdrv but stuck with it since it was compatible with Windows v3.0.

I have a question for those who succesfully use it with windows though:

	In the WIN3NOTE.TXT it says the Hyperdisk should be
	installed AFTER himem.sys. I tried this but Hyperdisk comes
	back and tells me that no extended memory is available, and
	thus doesn't install. Any clues? Right now I just install it
	before HIMEM.SYS and it seems to work correctly but I'm not
	sure if it's in windows compatible mode.

And yes I did briefly read through the manual but find it hard to read
through 80 pages of text 24 lines at a time and don't have the time or
paper to print it out on my little dot-matrix printer.

I'm using HYPER386.EXE on a PS/2 55sx (386sx) with 4Mb of extended
memory with the command line options "S H CW:1024".

Thanks for the help,
--
Gary Hennigan
+  e-mail: ghenniga@NMSU.Edu, henninsf@maxwel.NMSU.Edu                      +

yoshida@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Stuart Yoshida) (03/07/91)

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>In article <7450004@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> yoshida@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Stuart Yoshida)
>writes:
>>altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>>> [...]
>>> Hyperdisk is not
>>> compatible with all drives.  This is because it does not use BIOS calls
>>> but instead goes directly to the hardware.
>>> --
>>> - Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)
>>> ----------
>>
>>  I just talked with the author of HyperDisk, and he said, "Hyperdisk
>>  uses BIOS calls ONLY.  It's funny how rumors get started, isn't it?"
>>
>>  So whatever problems HyperDisk has, it's *NOT* because it goes
>>  directly to the hardware.  It does not circumvent the software
>>  interface protocols; it definitely uses BIOS calls.
>>--
>>  Stuart
>
>To quote p84 of the 2/18/91 PC Week: Discussion about why Power Cache
>was given highest rating even though Hyperdsk is faster.  "The two products
>differed not in their performance, but in the compatibility advantage that
>Power Cache Plus offers through its use of DOS-file I/O in lieu of the
>device specific BIOS-level commands used by HyperDsk."
>--
>- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)
>----------

  The PCWeek review was pointing out was that HyperDisk *does* use BIOS
  calls, and therefore is somewhat hardware dependent because not all
  BIOS code is 100% IBM compatible.  BIOS calls don't access the
  hardware directly, but they *do* act on a lower-level than DOS-file
  I/O calls.  This makes HyperDisk sensitive to different flavors of
  BIOS and therefore somewhat hardware-dependent as the PCWeek review
  says.

  Therefore, even though HyperDisk doesn't access the hardware directly,
  it uses a low-level protocol (BIOS) that is more prone to hardware
  dependencies.

--

  Stuart

  "Every place around the world it seemed the same
   Can't hear the rhythm for the drums
   Everybody wants to look the other way
   When something wicked this way comes."
			--Jeremiah Blues by STING

    UUCP: {hp-sdd, hp-pcd, csu-cs, edison, hplabs}!hpfcla!yoshida
Internet: yoshida%hpfcla@hplabs.HP.COM
   VOICE: (303) 229-2324

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Sneaky Sanj) (03/15/91)

Could someone tell me if hyperdisk will work with an adaptec aha1542B
and a ST296N scsi drive? The last thing I want is the hard drive to
toss its cookies.

Ice.

--
"No one had the guts... until now!"