[comp.windows.ms] New Paradise Windows drivers

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (03/14/91)

I just got the latest Windows 3.0 drivers from the Paradise bullitin board
and I have posted them to cica.cica.indiana.edu.  There are three self
extracting files:

	win3_16.exe	16 color drivers
	win3_16f.exe	"fast" 16 color drivers
	win3_256.exe	256 color drivers

These files contain a bit more info than the win30drv.zip file and may
contain drivers that may work a little faster.

Best regards,
Don Lehn

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) (03/15/91)

In article <1066@nih-csl.nih.gov> donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) writes:

>These files contain a bit more info than the win30drv.zip file and may
>contain drivers that may work a little faster.
>
>Best regards,
>Don Lehn

But, there is no new driver in these files. Are you sure they
differ from win30drv.zip?

-Victor
--
Victor Menayang         victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Internet)
                                           vm@UTXVM (BITNET)

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/15/91)

In article <45635@ut-emx.uucp> victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) writes:
>But, there is no new driver in these files. Are you sure they
>differ from win30drv.zip?

I got mine directly from the Western Digital BBS, but mine had an
extra 640x400x256 mode if I remember correctly. No 800x600x256 mode
because most WD chipsets (I thought it was all but someone said a
newer chipset does) don't support that graphics mode.

The "fast" drivers are indeed faster...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (03/16/91)

In article <3671@d75.UUCP> woan@peyote.cactus.org writes:
>In article <45635@ut-emx.uucp> victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) writes:
>extra 640x400x256 mode if I remember correctly. No 800x600x256 mode
>because most WD chipsets (I thought it was all but someone said a
>newer chipset does) don't support that graphics mode.

	Oh No!!!

	I got my Paradise Card (with 512k) one year ago...

	...Are you telling me that I will never be able to
	run in 800x600x256 with this card ???

	I *was* really looking forward to using this mode with Corel
	Draw !!!

	Oh Well...
---
Robert

white@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Kevin S. White) (03/16/91)

In article <3671@d75.UUCP> woan@peyote.cactus.org writes:
>In article <45635@ut-emx.uucp> victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) writes:
>>But, there is no new driver in these files. Are you sure they
>>differ from win30drv.zip?
>
>I got mine directly from the Western Digital BBS, but mine had an
>extra 640x400x256 mode if I remember correctly. No 800x600x256 mode
>because most WD chipsets (I thought it was all but someone said a
>newer chipset does) don't support that graphics mode.
>
>The "fast" drivers are indeed faster...

	Hmmm, the drivers are "indeed faster", but you'll probably not
notice the diff.  I did PC Magazine's Windows Benchmark on each driver
(same utils loaded, cold start, etc.), and the average speedup is less than
2%.  Many operations show no speedup, and only 4 of the 125 benchmark tests
show more than a 10% increase in speed.  Again, the drivers are the new ones,
the regular 16 color and the "fast" 16 color drivers.  I couldn't tell any
difference between the old driver set and this new release, didn't bother
to run an informal benchmark.
--
Kevin White (white@csvax.cs.ukans.edu) University of Kansas