[comp.windows.ms] WfW and PCLFONTS

ace@cc.ic.ac.uk (03/13/91)

Hi there,

 I recently laid hands in an HP LJIII printer. I have since been trying
 unsuccessfully to install the symbol soft fonts that come with WfW to
 display and print equations. I added the PCLfonts during installation,
 went to the control panel and added the fonts to the printer, but
 instead of symbols I get Times Roman (TmsRmn). Anyone can help ????

 Thx
 ace

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (03/17/91)

In article <4737.9103121616@suni2cc.cc.ic.ac.uk> ace@cc.ic.ac.uk writes:
>Hi there,
>
> I recently laid hands in an HP LJIII printer. I have since been trying
> unsuccessfully to install the symbol soft fonts that come with WfW to
> display and print equations. I added the PCLfonts during installation,
> went to the control panel and added the fonts to the printer, but
> instead of symbols I get Times Roman (TmsRmn). Anyone can help ????

The symbol fonts included with Word for Windows are of the TmsRmn family,
so, if you install them using Control Panel *A NEW PFM* file is created
by the font installer.  And that new pfm uses the family name.

You must use the PFM files supplied by the WFW installation disks.

There are several ways to fix this.  One is to delete all the soft fonts
and PFM files from your disk (and from WIN.INI where they are referenced
under your printer) and use the WfW installation disks to install them
(just run setup, point to the same directory as your initial install, and
select Skip copying -- this allows you to add options and conversions).

The other route, which might work is to simply copy the PFM files found
in the Symbols directory on the installation disks to your PCLFONTS
directory (they may be differently named than the ones created by Control
Panel);  and then make sure the reference in WIN.INI points to these PFM
files.  Note, I'm not sure if these PFM files are compressed.  If so, you
must use EXPAND.EXE to uncompress them.

Good luck