[comp.windows.ms] YOURWAY.EXE virus

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar14.185158.7690@agate.berkeley.edu> korpela@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric J. Korpela) writes:
>I wish people would stop referring to YOURWAY.EXE as having a virus.
>From what I have heard, it sounds like YOURWAY.EXE is a Trojan.  Until
>you hear some evidence that YOURWAY.EXE is infecting other EXE files
>call it a Trojan.  A little proper terminology can save a lot of trouble.
>A person who steps on a mine isn't killed by biological warfare.

On the other hand, if YOURWAY is a legitimate commercial or shareware
product, and that "Ha Ha Ha" thing got tacked onto a copy somehow and is
spreading around, then it IS a virus.  So we need more info.

--
    Canadians eat only buffalo and beer pie: Live in a /\ Tom Neff
vast barren land: Consume 6 billion dollars of alcohol \/ tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

mgjones@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Mike (Felix) Jones) (03/14/91)

For anyone interested, I did a dump from LABTEST by Panda to see what was in
the program YOURWAY.EXE.

This is what I got.  You can see the "ha ha ha" in it a little ways down.
(I suggest getting something like labtest, it can save on BIG headaches,
especially since many virus authors leave some kind of message)

include yourway.lbt

mgjones@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Mike (Felix) Jones) (03/14/91)

Ooops.  Didnt get the file to include.  Well here it is.

                          PANDA SYSTEMS  --  LABTEST
                                  YOURWAY.EXE
****  WARNING  ****
This program may use BIOS routined to write
to a disk at the following locations:
31AC