[comp.windows.ms] YourWay TROJAN

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.014300.6692@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>I am still not convinced that Yourway is a virus.

As others have already pointed out, I experienced a TROJAN, not a virus ...

>with the program. I fooled around with it for about an hour, then
>deleted it. I have had no problems with any thing since then. I
>scanned it with McAfee (spelling?)'s virus scan stuff, and it didn't
>show a thing.

VIRUS scan programs will only find viruses (that it knows about)

>My feeling is that this was a buggy version, and the two WIN.INIs that
>the original poster had confused it.

wrong again kartik ... and please stop harping on two copies of win.ini ...
many people keep backup copies of their windows configuration files ...
obviously you do not.

As I previously mentioned, THE FIRST TIME I RAN the yourway, I did not have
2 copies of my win.ini, but did something that was (probably) unexpected
by either the original (read legitimate) or the TROJAN programmer, for
that reason ONLY I believe I did not lose my win configurations.

You (and others) may not have experienced difficulties, but others have
posted here in response to my original message telling of greater damage
than what I suffered ...

I received a call on Friday from the (legitimate) makers of YourWay, who
also mentioned receiving other calls from people experiencing TROJAN
behavior from a demo version of the program ... apparently I was the only
one that called them after having picked it up via FTP ... all other
callers downloaded it from BBSs around the country.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr