[comp.windows.ms] QEMM problem with Windows - Won't execute Dos apps

cgaeth@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Christopher Gaeth) (03/11/91)

  System:  386 SX - 16 Clone
           387 Copro
            65 Meg Hard Drive
             2 Meg of Ram

  Problem:  When I orginally installed Win 3.0 the default operating mode
was 386 Enhanced.  This weekend I installed QEMM v 5.1 (device = c:\qemm\
qemm386.sys RAM) and and now it will only go into 386 Enhanced if I force it
with the "Win /3" switch.  Now I can't get Windows to let me execute any of
the Dos Apps that I used to before I installed QEMM.  It says not enough
memory.  When I check it by clicking the Program manager's "About Help" box
it says I have 86% resources free and 4953K (I would assume that this
includes virtual memory).  It was suggested in a posting to try the
undocumented "win /x" command to help windows understand the way QEMM set up
the memory.  When I do this I get an Application error - check path.  So
needless to say I need some help because I haven't got the foggest idea how
to fix my problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris Gaeth                     |  My opinions are my own Tues-Thurs.  The
P.O. Box 260                    |  rest of the week I'm not responsible.
Belcamp, MD. 21017-0260         |
(301) 278-6395                  |
cgaeth@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil       |

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (03/15/91)

In article <713@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil> cgaeth@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Christopher Gaeth) writes:
<  Problem:  When I orginally installed Win 3.0 the default operating mode
<was 386 Enhanced.  This weekend I installed QEMM v 5.1 (device = c:\qemm\
<qemm386.sys RAM) and and now it will only go into 386 Enhanced if I force it
<with the "Win /3" switch.  Now I can't get Windows to let me execute any of
<the Dos Apps that I used to before I installed QEMM.  It says not enough

While this may or may not completely fix the problem, RTFM!

The NOSORT parameter must be used for QEMM when WINDOWS3 is also to be used.
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Sheckel) (03/19/91)

In article <6041@bwdls58.bnr.ca> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

><  Problem:  When I orginally installed Win 3.0 the default operating mode
><was 386 Enhanced.  This weekend I installed QEMM v 5.1 (device = c:\qemm\
><qemm386.sys RAM) and and now it will only go into 386 Enhanced if I force it
><with the "Win /3" switch.  Now I can't get Windows to let me execute any of
><the Dos Apps that I used to before I installed QEMM.  It says not enough
>
>The NOSORT parameter must be used for QEMM when WINDOWS3 is also to be used.

Sounds to me like the original poster is using only 2MB RAM.  Install QEMM,
it takes away some extended RAM for its "hidden" device drivers and TSR's,
and now Windows thinks there's less than 2MB RAM, so it automatically goes
into real mode.
--
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |