[comp.windows.ms] Eureka!

mikew@charm.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) (01/22/91)

In article <4491@mindlink.UUCP>, a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:

|>      From recent responses, it is apparent that there is some confusion about
|> the problem which is being experienced.  The basic problem is as follows:
|>
|>      On some machines, but not all, tasks running in 386 enhanced mode are much
|> slower than in standard mode.  This can be seen by using the computational
|> index from the Norton Utilities in both standard mode and 386 enhanced mode.
|> It can also be seen for some programs such as the Microsoft Flight simulator,
|> which become extremely sluggish in 386 enhanced mode but are ok in standard
|> mode.
|>      I have the problem on a 16 MHz 386 (not a 386 SX).  I wonder if the
|> problem is because my memory above 1 megabyte is not on the motherboard, but is
|> on a memory card on the bus which can only be accessed at bus speed.  My
|> hypothesis is that when run in standard mode, Windows runs mainly in the 1
|> megabyte of easily accessible memory on the motherboard, but when I ask for
|> enhanced mode much more use is made of the memory which can only be accessed
|> through the bus.       Would people who have the problem please mail me
|> information on whether their memory is all on the motherboard, or whether part
|> is accessible only through the bus.

Bruce, after months of enduring countless (and incorrect) explanations of
multitaksing in 386 mode as the cause of this problem, I think that you may
have finally found the REAL cause:  >>> AT-bus memory! <<<<

Here's the story:

About a year ago, I was running Windows/386 2.11 with 2 MB of memory on the
motherboard of my SX machine.  I had no problems running DOS apps quickly (as
long as I ran them full screen), except that with only 2 megs I could only run one
of them at a time.  (Windows veterans will recall that Win 2 did not implement swap
space.)  So, I bought a BocaRAM AT + card with 2 MB of memory, figured out how
to run it at 0 wait states, and everything ran fine.  As I recall, DOS apps ran as fast
as they always had.

Then came along Windows 3.  After I installed it, I could run as many DOS apps as
I wanted, but they ALL ran *very* slowly--too slow, in fact, to be useful.  I tried
running them in exclusive mode, full screen, tweaking this, and tweaking that, but
DOS apps were still too slow t use.  The only solution was to fall back to Standard
Mode, where I've been ever since.

But recall that I added 2 megs before I every installed Win 3--so I've never run
Win3 on my bare-bones 2 MB machine.  Would that make a difference?

As it turns out, it makes all the difference in the world.  I left the actual figures at home,
but here are the results of running SI with and without the memory:

2 MB of memory on motherboard, only
		386 Mode	Standard Mode
Full Screen	15.6		16.8

2 MB of memory on motherboard + 2 MB in a slot
		386 Mode	Standard Mode
Full Screen	4.6		16.8
Windowed	3.0		n/a

hDC App's memory viewer showed that the Windows program took twice as much
base memory (that's twice as much of the 2MB on the motherboard) when I have
4 MB as when I have 2 MB.  So it seems that by the time I get around to opening a
DOS window, Windows has already gobbled up the fast 2 MB on the motherboard,
and all I can get is the slower 2 MB of memory (as Bruce theorized).

Whew.  It's a relief to finally (believe that I) know the cause to the problem.  Now I
wish I had a solution!  My guess is that this doesn't happen in Standard mode
because Windows swaps its lower portion (the part in the base 640K) out to make
room for the DOS window, whereas in 386 Mode, Windows uses the remapping
ability of the 386 to make the DOS window *think* it's running in the lower 640K.

Can anyone verify the above?  If this turns out to be true, I congratulate Bruce for
being the first person to suggest an explanation for this 8-month-old problem!!!

Michael B. Williams	      \ 1-2-3-4, KICK THE LAWSUITS OUT THE DOOR
MIT NE43-532 		       \ 5-6-7-8, INNOVATE DON'T LITIGATE
Laboratory for Computer Science \ 9-A-B-C, INTERFACES SHOULD BE FREE
545 Technology Square	         \ D-E-F-0, LOOK AND FEEL HAS GOT TO GO!
Cambridge, MA 02139		  --------------------------------------
(617) 253-5983   Internet: mikew@athena.mit.edu   CompuServe: 73667,3264

brandis@inf.ethz.ch (Marc Brandis) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.211522.18732@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> mikew@charm.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) writes:
>wish I had a solution!  My guess is that this doesn't happen in Standard mode
>because Windows swaps its lower portion (the part in the base 640K) out to make
>room for the DOS window, whereas in 386 Mode, Windows uses the remapping
>ability of the 386 to make the DOS window *think* it's running in the lower 640K.
>
>Can anyone verify the above?  If this turns out to be true, I congratulate Bruce for
>being the first person to suggest an explanation for this 8-month-old problem!!!

Yes, this is true. Interesting to see that nobody noticed the sluggish
performance of Windows applications on such machines, as they suffer from the
same problem, both in standard and in exhanced mode.

Marc-Michael Brandis
Computer Systems Laboratory, ETH-Zentrum (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
email: brandis@inf.ethz.ch

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan21.211522.18732@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> mikew@charm.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) writes:
>In article <4491@mindlink.UUCP>, a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:
>|>
>|>      I have the problem on a 16 MHz 386 (not a 386 SX).  I wonder if the
>|> problem is because my memory above 1 megabyte is not on the motherboard, but is
>|> on a memory card on the bus which can only be accessed at bus speed.  My
>|> hypothesis is that when run in standard mode, Windows runs mainly in the 1
>|> megabyte of easily accessible memory on the motherboard, but when I ask for
[...]
>Bruce, after months of enduring countless (and incorrect) explanations of
>multitaksing in 386 mode as the cause of this problem, I think that you may
>have finally found the REAL cause:  >>> AT-bus memory! <<<<

[...]

I have a 386dx/25 with 8M of memory on the motherboard. Outside of windows,
Norton SI says 25.8 CPU index and 11.1 disk index. In a DOS window I get
24.7 CPU and 9.8 DISK. It appears that on my system, there is not much
performance hit.

Now programs that do graphics in a DOS window ARE noticeably slower, but this
makes sense.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan22.211751.10728@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>I have a 386dx/25 with 8M of memory on the motherboard. Outside of windows,
>Norton SI says 25.8 CPU index and 11.1 disk index. In a DOS window I get
>24.7 CPU and 9.8 DISK. It appears that on my system, there is not much
>performance hit.

Some rigor might be missing from all this -- I noticed last night that on a
486/25 which usually reports about 54 Norton SI, I got 304 (!!) in a DOS window.
Not at all clear what the interactions between Norton and the Windows
pre-emptive DOS scheduler are, for instance, and so I'd be real careful trying
to interpret what people are seeing trying to benchmark running DOS under
Windows.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

sisu@ux1.lbl.gov (judy stirkkinen) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan22.211751.10728@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>In article <1991Jan21.211522.18732@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> mikew@charm.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) writes:
>>In article <4491@mindlink.UUCP>, a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:

[original deleted]

>I have a 386dx/25 with 8M of memory on the motherboard. Outside of windows,
>Norton SI says 25.8 CPU index and 11.1 disk index. In a DOS window I get
>24.7 CPU and 9.8 DISK. It appears that on my system, there is not much
>performance hit.
>
>Now programs that do graphics in a DOS window ARE noticeably slower, but this
>makes sense.

Uhhh.....graphics in a Dos window? I didn't think windows allowed that! (at
least, *I* havn't been able to get anything hi-rez running, and the techs at
Microsoft said: "It can't be done") Unless you're talking cga graphics?
sheesh!

 -Rob
rob@cad4.lbl.gov

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (01/24/91)

Re: graphics in a window.

It can be done. If you are running windows in graphics mode a, then one
can do graphics in a dos window of mode less than a. I run in 800x600 mode,
and I can play chess master 2100 in EGA and VGA modes in a window (sort of,
no mouse) But the graphics work.

Discovered it by accident.

Milan
.

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.034807.1736@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>Re: graphics in a window.
>
>It can be done. If you are running windows in graphics mode a, then one
>can do graphics in a dos window of mode less than a. I run in 800x600 mode,
>and I can play chess master 2100 in EGA and VGA modes in a window (sort of,
>no mouse) But the graphics work.

>Milan

With a gool 'ol Herc, DOS programs doing graphics can continue to run in
a window as well.  The speed hit isn't that bad--I've used FltSim 4 in a
window on my 386sx and, while not as crisp as full screen, is still usable.
Just watch out for crashing the plane while switching to something else!

Aaron Wallace

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (01/29/91)

In article <9210@dog.ee.lbl.gov> sisu@ux1.lbl.gov (judy stirkkinen) writes:
>In article <1991Jan22.211751.10728@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>>In article <1991Jan21.211522.18732@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> mikew@charm.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) writes:
>>>In article <4491@mindlink.UUCP>, a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:
>
>[original deleted]
>>
>>Now programs that do graphics in a DOS window ARE noticeably slower, but this
>>makes sense.
>>
>Uhhh.....graphics in a Dos window? I didn't think windows allowed that! (at
>least, *I* havn't been able to get anything hi-rez running, and the techs at
>Microsoft said: "It can't be done") Unless you're talking cga graphics?
>sheesh!

Bingo! Sheesh yourself.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (03/19/91)

From article <1991Mar19.015532.26957@d.cs.okstate.edu>, by ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG):

[stuff deleted regarding not able to get noninterlaced mode]

Well, the magic phrase is "vmode 65m"!

I have to run that program with that parameter, and all the 1024x768
that was previous interlaced now goes into noninterlaced mode.
Thanks to A.M. for that very speedy email respone.

Noninterlaced is great.  I mean, the Daewood interlaced monitor previously
mentioned was ok (no flicker), but noninterlaced is GREAT!  I guess
some many netters (recommanding noninterlaced) couldn't be wrong.
I even went ahead and put on "weave" wallpaper in Windows 3.0,
no flicker I can detect, and all the pixels looked solidly anchored
to the screen.

As for the Swan VGA 15 monitor (again, color noninterlaced 1024x768 15"
$599 direct from Swan Computer), I cannot make much quality judgement
since this is the first PC noninterlaced monitor I looked at.  Personally,
I have changed my decision from "maybe" to "keep it" (they have 30-day
money-back guarantee).  I like the flat-screen and slightly "bigger"
picture.

Only concern I have is that somebody said that they got a 14"
noninterlaced 1024x768 for under $400.  If the picture quality is as good
as the Swan VGA 15, then I feel pretty stupid paying $200 for an
extra 0.8" wider diagonal measurement.  But then again that person
did not say that the under-$400 monitor is flat-screen.

Also, there is the Samsung 17" 1024x768 noninterlaced for $899 from
USA-FLEX.  Minutes before I ordered the Swan, I called around looking
for the Goldstar 16" ($623, interlaced) and the Samsung.  USA-FLEX
said they don't have stock, neither does all the mail-order shops
I called.  I even call Goldstar, they gave me the runaround.  I finally
gave up and called Swan.  Usually, it takes me a month to invastigate
and decide on a $600 purchase.  But I was tire and my old standard
VGA was flaking in and out (one of the color gun going on and off at
random moments), and Swan Computer published (and I comfirmed with
the salesperson on phone) that they have 30-day money-back guarantee on
Swan brand products (but not on non-Swan brand), so I pull out the
old Visa and chaaaaaarged!

Anybody like to change my mind?  (I still got 29 days left to return).