[comp.windows.ms] No ATM 1.1 upgrade......

rr@mips.com (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) (03/16/91)

I called Adobe at the (800) 344-8335 number and said I had
heard there was a '1.1' upgrade for ATM on the PC. There
isn't and if there was all REGISTERED users will get
something in the US Mail from them. I don't know what
Jeff Altman got from them. Jeff, could you explain a little
more?
--
Robert Rodriguez
rr@mips.com

wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) (03/16/91)

In article <1067@spim.mips.COM> rr@mips.com (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) writes:
>I called Adobe at the (800) 344-8335 number and said I had
>heard there was a '1.1' upgrade for ATM on the PC. There
>isn't and if there was all REGISTERED users will get
>something in the US Mail from them. I don't know what
>Jeff Altman got from them. Jeff, could you explain a little
>more?

After reading Jeff Altman's original post, I also called Adobe about
the update.  The girl on the phone told me that ATM 1.1 is available
and that I can get a copy after I send them my ATM 1.0 registration
card.  However, she couldn't tell me what has been changed in the new
version.

You should phone Adobe again; maybe the person you talked to has been too
busy following the company stock (straight up) to keep up with the
ATM updates.

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (03/16/91)

In article <1067@spim.mips.COM> rr@mips.com (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) writes:
>I called Adobe at the (800) 344-8335 number and said I had
>heard there was a '1.1' upgrade for ATM on the PC. There
>isn't and if there was all REGISTERED users will get
>something in the US Mail from them. I don't know what
>Jeff Altman got from them. Jeff, could you explain a little
>more?
>--
>Robert Rodriguez
>rr@mips.com
>Workstations forever!

I called 'em gave 'em my serial number and they're sending me
this "non-existant" upgrade right away. They were quite pleasant
about it. Maybe you reached someone who hadn't gone through their
customer service training yet...:-}

--
Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) (03/16/91)

In article <1067@spim.mips.COM> rr@mips.com (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) writes:
>I called Adobe at the (800) 344-8335 number and said I had
>heard there was a '1.1' upgrade for ATM on the PC. There
>isn't and if there was all REGISTERED users will get
>something in the US Mail from them. I don't know what
>Jeff Altman got from them. Jeff, could you explain a little
>more?
>--
>Robert Rodriguez
>rr@mips.com
>Workstations forever!

I called Adobe right after reading Jeff's note. The rep asked
myserial no. and promised to send the upgrade. No, she didn't
know what is fixed :-)

-victor

--
Victor Menayang         victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Internet)
                                           vm@UTXVM (BITNET)

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (03/18/91)

In article <1067@spim.mips.COM> rr@mips.com (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) writes:
>I called Adobe at the (800) 344-8335 number and said I had
>heard there was a '1.1' upgrade for ATM on the PC. There
>isn't and if there was all REGISTERED users will get
>something in the US Mail from them. I don't know what
>Jeff Altman got from them. Jeff, could you explain a little
>more?

Well, I will relate the entire story.  During the past few weeks on
Compuserve there has been mentioned on the Adobe Message area about an
upgrade to ATM to version 1.1 that was shipped with either Pagemaker
or Illustrator (both have recently shipped new versions).  This new
version included two additional font families.

I called Adobe about the upgrade and at first the person I spoke with
told me there was no upgrade.  But I asked them to search the computer
and they found the listing for "an upgrade to ATM 1.1".

They were supposed to be shipping it on Wednesday and they said that
it would take about a week via US Mail.  I have not received it yet
but as soon as I do I will let you know what it is exactly that I got.

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

Hubert Lai <LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (03/18/91)

In article <1067@spim.mips.COM>, rr@mips.com (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) says:

I too called Adobe and got the same response.  However, since your
message was posted, I notice that a number of others have called Adobe
with success and managed to order the upgrade from ATM 1.0 to ATM 1.1.
I guess you and I will have to give Adobe another call on Monday.  Oh
well.  It's their dime.

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar17.204145.537@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>Well, I will relate the entire story.  During the past few weeks on
>Compuserve there has been mentioned on the Adobe Message area about an
>upgrade to ATM to version 1.1 that was shipped with either Pagemaker
>or Illustrator (both have recently shipped new versions).  This new
>version included two additional font families.

Yeah! I got it today with my Pagemaker 4.0 upgrade. I installed it.
It has Gill Sanserif and Times New Roman (supposedly *instead* of
Helvetica and Times Roman--perhaps they ran into copyright problems with
those font names--you'll notice sometimes companies will call it Times
or TMS ROMAN for that reason but I digress.)

Other than that its hard to tell what has changed. I think it now gives
the options for bitmap or *resident* fonts so it will recognize your
font cartridges and handle your printer better if it has little memory.
After I installed it my system hung and afterward ran very slowly but
I'm not sure it was related as I'm just generally having a bad day.
Actually the slowness *might* have been caused by the additional
room taken up by the new version of ATM--I don't think it deleted the old
Times Roman and Helvetica font files.

The manual, which is rather slim, doesn't mention any bug fixes or
what major changes there are between 1.0 and 1.1. But it does,
verifiably, exist.