[comp.windows.ms] Excel 3.0 Woes

cie221u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Neiger) (03/19/91)

We are having problems with Excel 3.0!

When we installed it, someone installed it in their own personal name, not the
organization's.

Is it possible to reset the name so that it can be installed correctly?  I
believe that the name is in the EXCEL.INF file but Microsoft now encode the
username & company (presumably to prevent piracy but **stupid** if the software
is wrongly registered).

If someone can help me or send me their NEW (unregistered) EXCEL.INF, it will be
greatly appreciated.

To Microsoft:  Thanks for the great product!

Warning to All:  Backup your disks before you run or use them so that if you do
make a mistake, it is not fatal!

--
David S. Neiger                 |  cie221u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University.  CLAYTON  Vic.  3168.  Australia.

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.130208.86463@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> cie221u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Neiger) writes:
>We are having problems with Excel 3.0!
>
>When we installed it, someone installed it in their own personal name, not the
>organization's.
>
>Is it possible to reset the name so that it can be installed correctly?  I
>believe that the name is in the EXCEL.INF file but Microsoft now encode the
>username & company (presumably to prevent piracy but **stupid** if the software
>is wrongly registered).
>
>If someone can help me or send me their NEW (unregistered) EXCEL.INF, it will be
>greatly appreciated.

I don't think that MS would appreciate passing around their program (or parts
thereof), but just wait until you buy the next copy at your organization, and
that will fix it.

>Warning to All:  Backup your disks before you run or use them so that if you do
>make a mistake, it is not fatal!

Yeah, it's nasty, but there is another way around it, pre-install, though.
Just write protect the floppies, and keep hitting <Cancel> on the write-protect
error.  The install is perfect, but the master is not marked.

--
Jeff Rife   P.O. Box 3836   |   "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
College Station, TX 77844   |    because he was moral they called him insane.