[comp.windows.ms] collecting icons

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (03/02/91)

I have icons in files with filetypes of .EXE, .ICO and .DLL
Is there anyway to combine these into one single bigger file?
Related question: Is there any way to select  an icon (when in
  change icon subsection of Properties) by number or is there
  any way to 'view previous' instead of just 'view next'?
  Many a time I have viewed past the one I wanted and I had to
  view next through the whole file again....

Thanks,

joec@morgan.com

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (03/14/91)

Joe Collins writes:

> I have icons in files with filetypes of .EXE, .ICO and .DLL
> Is there anyway to combine these into one single bigger file?

The only way to do this is with hDC Icon Designer.  It will
allow you to extract the icons from any Windows .exe, .dll, or
.ico file and use them to create an icon library that can be
used by Program Manager.

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corporation

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/15/91)

Michael Roper <roper@nwnexus.UUCP> writes:
>> I have icons in files with filetypes of .EXE, .ICO and .DLL
>> Is there anyway to combine these into one single bigger file?

> The only way to do this is with hDC Icon Designer.  It will
> allow you to extract the icons from any Windows .exe, .dll, or
> .ico file and use them to create an icon library that can be
> used by Program Manager.

Strictly speaking, not correct.  Icons can be extracted from .EXEs and
.DLL using the ViewIcon/GetIcon programs recently posted to c.b.i.p,
and combined to DLLs using the Windows SDK.  Of course most people
do not have access to an SDK, but it *is* an alternative.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (03/15/91)

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

>Michael Roper <roper@nwnexus.UUCP> writes:
>>> I have icons in files with filetypes of .EXE, .ICO and .DLL
>>> Is there anyway to combine these into one single bigger file?

>> The only way to do this is with hDC Icon Designer.  It will
>> allow you to extract the icons from any Windows .exe, .dll, or
>> .ico file and use them to create an icon library that can be
>> used by Program Manager.

>Strictly speaking, not correct.  Icons can be extracted from .EXEs and
>.DLL using the ViewIcon/GetIcon programs recently posted to c.b.i.p,
>and combined to DLLs using the Windows SDK.  Of course most people
>do not have access to an SDK, but it *is* an alternative.

>[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
>[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

Once you have hundreds of beautiful color icons in one big DLL (for
example) is there a way to "view" the file, other than one icon at
a time in seriel? Has anyone developed a shareware product that displays
a grid of 10 by 10 (i.e. 100) icons per screen? Maybe with a scroll bar
for scrolling to the next row of ten icons? I realize that icons are not
stored this way, but it would seem "trivial" (for someone else) to read
in a hundred icons and display them as such.

Thoughts, suggestions, references?

barry

| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (Wolf PAUL ) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar15.130928.28094@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>>> I have icons in files with filetypes of .EXE, .ICO and .DLL
>>> Is there anyway to combine these into one single bigger file?
>
>Strictly speaking, not correct.  Icons can be extracted from .EXEs and
>.DLL using the ViewIcon/GetIcon programs recently posted to c.b.i.p,
>and combined to DLLs using the Windows SDK.

I set up a routine using the MKS Korn Shell and the GetIcon/PutIcon
packages mentioned to use one of the distributed .exe files full of
icons as a repository for my own collections. One script replaces
every icon in the original .exe file with a blank icon, and another
script sequentially puts the icons I want to add into the blanked-out
exe file.

Exe or DLL files like this can be found on cica with names like "iconlib.exe".
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (03/18/91)

Tom Haapanen writes:

> Strictly speaking, not correct.  Icons can be extracted from .EXEs and
> .DLL using the ViewIcon/GetIcon programs recently posted to c.b.i.p,
> and combined to DLLs using the Windows SDK.  Of course most people
> do not have access to an SDK, but it *is* an alternative.

You're right.  However, if this is something you intend to do on a
regular basis (or even once, depending on how much your time is worth),
or if you would actually like to modify the libraries you create,
hDC Icon Designer is clearly superior to the approach you describe.

Icon Designer can extract hundreds of icons and convert them to a
library in about a minute or less, depending on your hardware.  Even
if GetIcon does not require that you name the .ico's you extract,
you're still looking at a relatively painful experience using the
"alternative."

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corporation

Barry B. Floyd writes:

>> hDC Icon Designer will allow you to extract the icons from
>> any Windows .exe, .dll, or .ico file and import them directly
>> into an icon library that can be used by Program Manager.

> Once you have hundreds of beautiful color icons in one big
> [file] is there a way to "view" the file, other than one icon
> at a time in serial?

Yes, Icon Designer includes a scrollable library window that can
be used to page through icons -- as well as add new ones, replace
existing ones, delete old ones or move an icon from one location
in the library to another.

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corporation

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (03/19/91)

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) writes:

>Yes, Icon Designer includes a scrollable library window that can
>be used to page through icons -- as well as add new ones, replace
>existing ones, delete old ones or move an icon from one location
>in the library to another.

>Michael Roper
>hDC Computer Corporation

The information which is available to me (SDK 2 & 3.0, DDK 3.0, no developers
notes so far) does not contain any information about how to manipulate
resources other than loading a resource by a known name.

A few questions. Did I miss anything? Or did you reengineer parts of Windows?
Or do you use proprietary information you got from Microsoft? Or shouldn't
I ask such questions? :-)

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (03/19/91)

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) writes:
>Tom Haapanen writes:
>hDC Icon Designer is clearly superior to the approach you describe.

I've seen several references to this program but haven't seen it
advertised or listed in the mailorder ads...so, who vends it, how much
should one pay for it, what are its capabilities?

Alas, I saw ViewIcon come across the net but the files we received
resulted in corrupt programs, and I have no e-mail nor ftp access.
It's like a kid in the candy store with no $$$!
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (03/20/91)

Bob Geer writes:

> I've seen several references to [hDC Icon Designer]
> but haven't seen it advertised or listed in the mail-
> order ads...so, who vends it, how much should one pay
> for it, what are its capabilities?

I know Egghead carries it and I think there is another
major discount chain that carries it as well, but I
can't say for sure.  If you can't find it locally, try
calling our sales staff at (206) 885-5550.  They will
be able to tell you more.

The product lists for $59.95, but you can probably get
it discounted in the $35-40 range.

As mentioned previously, it allows you to create, modify
and manage libraries of icons that can then be used with
Progman Manager.  It allows you to easily extract icons
from any .dll, .exe, or .ico file.  It also allows you
to create or modify the icons in a library and includes
three libraries with a total of 125 professionally designed
icons.  It also has a clipboard interface so that bitmaps
created with other paint programs can be imported and
converted to icons.  And unlike many icon editors, Icon
Designer supports the use of color "background" (transparent)
and color "inverse background" which are necessary to
create true icons.

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corporation