[comp.windows.ms] Microsoft Product Support

dve@zooid (Sysot) (03/20/91)

I do PC support for about 60 people in our building using MS Windows. While
I think Windows is a great product, I am extremely disapointed with the
quality of their product support in Toronto. They seem to know all the quick
and common questions but anything beyond that gets you a vague and useless
answer. A few times I have called with a problem and had them tell me they
had never heard of it before, while meanwhile several other people have
mentioned to me that they have the same problem.

Is their product support as bad in the States and other countries?

One problem specifically I am having is setting up Windows to run with a
non-internal video driver on a harddiskless workstation. For example, one
workstation uses a Paradise VGA card in 800*600 resolution and I had no luck
getting it set up unless I had it install all the Windows files (all 3MB or
so) in the user's directory.. quite a waste of space and not suitable for a
network. I'd like to run the rest of the network with a combination of
standard VGA and super-VGA resolution but the MS product support person
couldn't help me. When I run setup it gives an error building win.com
message. I can't really trace the problem. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

ZOOiD BBS - 416/322-7876

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (03/21/91)

In article <qFq4y1w162w@zooid> dve@zooid (Sysot) writes:
>One problem specifically I am having is setting up Windows to run with a
>non-internal video driver on a harddiskless workstation. For example, one
>workstation uses a Paradise VGA card in 800*600 resolution and I had no luck
>getting it set up unless I had it install all the Windows files (all 3MB or
>so) in the user's directory.. quite a waste of space and not suitable for a
>network. I'd like to run the rest of the network with a combination of

Sounds like the problem I had.  The solution I found was to follow the manual
(pg 553) and first expand and load all windows files into one directory.  Once
this is done then setup/n works fine and you don't get the "error creating" or
whatever it was.  Once I loaded all my workstations (one, sitting next to my
*server* :-)) I then deleted the directory holding all the windows files.  I
got the error you got when I tried using setup/n with the original disks.

Hope this helps

--
* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>