[comp.windows.ms] Scalable Font DJ Driver

fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) (03/14/91)

I noticed someone has posted the LJ III scalable font driver
on cica. I understand that there is also a similar driver
for Deskjets (Plus and 500) that HP sent to DJ 500 owners.
Could someone post this driver to cica, or email it to me
and I'll post it?

THANKS!

--Dan

--
  Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (03/14/91)

In article <2271@borg.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:
>I noticed someone has posted the LJ III scalable font driver
>on cica. I understand that there is also a similar driver
>for Deskjets (Plus and 500) that HP sent to DJ 500 owners.
>Could someone post this driver to cica, or email it to me
>and I'll post it?

I don't believe that this driver is free. I clearly recall the coupon
with my DJ500 saying that it was free for a limited time if you bought
a DJ 500 before Jan 31 or something, and mailed your coupon in by Feb
28 (not sure what the dates were.)

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (03/15/91)

fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:

>I noticed someone has posted the LJ III scalable font driver
>on cica. I understand that there is also a similar driver
>for Deskjets (Plus and 500) that HP sent to DJ 500 owners.
>Could someone post this driver to cica, or email it to me
>and I'll post it?

I ordered this driver by sending 10 irish pound (~ DM 27 or $15) to
an address in Ireland, and got it a week ago. It containes
a notice which explicitely disallowes copying the driver.

The reason for the fact that the LJ III scalable font driver is freely
copyable and the scalable Deskjet driver is not, is probably
that HP already has payed Agfa for the scalable fonts built into
the LJ III, but hasn't done so for the DeskJet and DeskJet plus.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

PS:

By the way, does anybody know why the new scalable Deskjet driver
refuses to print within 1.25 cm of the top of the page?

The DeskJet driver which comes with Windows 3.0 only needs a 0.76 cm
margin an the top. I have to rework most of my document templates
because of this unnecessary and undocumented new restriction.

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (03/19/91)

> By the way, does anybody know why the new scalable Deskjet driver
> refuses to print within 1.25 cm of the top of the page?
>
> The DeskJet driver which comes with Windows 3.0 only needs a 0.76 cm
> margin an the top.  I have to rework most of my document templates
> because of this unnecessary and undocumented new restriction.

This is due to some apps. (notably PowerPoint) which always center their
output on the imageable area of the page (rather than the physical area
of the page).  Since the DeskJet/Plus/500 can't print on the bottom .5"
of the page, if you let the imageable area go all the way to the top of
the page, output from these appls. will never be centered - and the user
can't do anything about it.  In the end it was a judgement call - centered
output or printing on the top 1/2 inch of the page.  Since most people
don't print at the top of the page (from marketing research), we decided
to center the printable area - hence losing the top 1/2 inch.

bob taylor
HP Vancouver

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (03/22/91)

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) writes:

>> By the way, does anybody know why the new scalable Deskjet driver
>> refuses to print within 1.25 cm of the top of the page?
>>
>> The DeskJet driver which comes with Windows 3.0 only needs a 0.76 cm
>> margin an the top.  I have to rework most of my document templates
>> because of this unnecessary and undocumented new restriction.

>This is due to some apps. (notably PowerPoint) which always center their
>output on the imageable area of the page (rather than the physical area
>of the page).  Since the DeskJet/Plus/500 can't print on the bottom .5"
>of the page, if you let the imageable area go all the way to the top of
>the page, output from these appls. will never be centered - and the user
>can't do anything about it.  In the end it was a judgement call - centered
>output or printing on the top 1/2 inch of the page.  Since most people
>don't print at the top of the page (from marketing research), we decided
>to center the printable area - hence losing the top 1/2 inch.

Thanks for the explaination!

While I understand the motive behind this decision, I'm a bit irritated
by the fact that somebody has to cripple his device driver in order to
work around a bug - a programming or design fault - in an application,
especially if this faulty application comes from Microsoft.

What about making the position and size of the printable area an option
of the printer driver, with the current values as defaults? The driver
has to support various paper formats anyway, so this should require
no additional code beyond handling the new variables in the driver,
and it would satisfy both kinds of users - those using PowerPoint,
and those who want to print on the top 1/2 inch of the page.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>