[comp.windows.ms] Good windows 3 texteditor for program source text?

wim@ecn.nl (Wim Rijnsburger) (03/08/91)

Does anyone know a simple editor with Windows 3 look and feel, suited for
editting program source text? Now I use Notepad, but this tool cannot
open large files and lacks functionality such as replace and redo.

Wim.

---------- Netherlands Energy Research Foundation, ECN --------------
Wim Rijnsburger                          email: RIJNSBURGER@ECN.NL
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG  Petten, Holland     phone: +31 2246 4673

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/08/91)

From article <1991Mar8.120003.17761@ecn.nl>, by wim@ecn.nl (Wim Rijnsburger):
> Does anyone know a simple editor with Windows 3 look and feel, suited for
> editting program source text? Now I use Notepad, but this tool cannot
> open large files and lacks functionality such as replace and redo.
>
> Wim.

I don't know about the Windows look and feel, but I am using Micro-Emacs
3.1 for Windows 3.  It works quite well.

					Tom Hite

my@falcon.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (03/09/91)

> From: wim@ecn.nl (Wim Rijnsburger)
>
> Does anyone know a simple editor with Windows 3 look and feel, suited for
> editting program source text? Now I use Notepad, but this tool cannot
> open large files and lacks functionality such as replace and redo.

A few program editors are available.  You can get them on cica.
The program editors include:
	WinEdit	(Shareware)
	WPEdit	(Shareware)
and also a commerical one but I forgot its name.

-- Mike

my@falcon.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (03/10/91)

> From: my@falcon.nsc.com (Michael Yip)
> > From: wim@ecn.nl (Wim Rijnsburger)
> >
> > Does anyone know a simple editor with Windows 3 look and feel, suited for
> > editting program source text? Now I use Notepad, but this tool cannot
> > open large files and lacks functionality such as replace and redo.
>
> A few program editors are available.  You can get them on cica.
> The program editors include:
> 	WinEdit	(Shareware)
> 	WPEdit	(Shareware)
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <---- It's a FREEWARE (for now)

WPEdit	Robert Epps
	208 Preble Drive #E
	Tustin, CA 92680-3743
	repps@bix
	gpkt94a@prodigy
	72560,3353@compuserve

WPedit is a MS Window 3.0 based Program Editor.
The alpha-release is rather robust (it never
crash) and has the following features ...
	- File List for previous edited files.
		(Very good for projects with many modules)
	- View window for same file
		(Can View another part of the file while
		you are editing it.)
	- Write highleghted section to file
		(Good for breaking down huge file or
		reuse portion of old file in new program)
	- Optional display of line number
		(Good for GOTO line number and also after a GREP
		or edit syntax error msg from compiler)
	- Goto Line #
		(The usual stuff)
	- Set and goto TAG
		(Just like the bookmark in MS Word)
	- Toggle to Overwrite mode
	- Optional auto-indent
		(Good for structure code development)
	- Optional indent-after mode
		(Will insert another level of indentation
		after certain user definable key words. eg '{' )
	- Match paranthesis
		(OK, we all develop C and Lisp)
	- Can indent block of highlighted text
		(Good for formatting code after we add a level
		of 'for' loop.)
What it doesn't have ...
	- "Anti" Indent-after features
		(which automatically go back one level of
		indentation after some user defined key word.  eg '}'
		Especially useful for mindless programmer like me.)
	- Fancy Printer Support
		(eg printing file with filename and date in
		the heading of a page ...)
	- Undo features will be coming in the next version
	- A journal or logging feature will be coming together
		with the Undo feature.
	- Word warp
		(it is really programmer editor.  And I like it.)
	- Compiler support
		(Cannot call compiler from within the editor)
	- Regular expression search
		(It does normal search/replace but not UNIX-like
		regular expression search.  I can do without ...)
	- Script language
		(Script is coming also.)
	- Change Text font
		(Cannot not change text font.)

How to get it?
	- Write to author thru US (snail) Mail
	- Send electronic messages
	- FTP from sites like cica

-- Mike Yip
   my@berlioz.nsc.com

PS: I have no relationship with the author, but just a
    happy wpedit user.  I don't use it too often since
    I am going most/all program development on UNIX.

mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca (Brian McCashin) (03/11/91)

>A few program editors are available.  You can get them on cica.
>The program editors include:
>	WinEdit	(Shareware)
>	WPEdit	(Shareware)
>and also a commerical one but I forgot its name.

  SpeedEdit for windows. It's about $200US. I don't know the company's name.

--
 Brian McCashin                            Internet: mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca
 Senior Programmer/Analyst                 Bitnet: USERJAZZ@UBCMTSG

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/11/91)

From article <1991Mar9.191331.2897@berlioz.nsc.com>, by my@falcon.nsc.com (Michael Yip):

I will be posting the Windows 3.0 version of Micro-Emacs 3.10 to CICA this week.
I actually haven't totally figured out how to do this yet, but it will be
there by Wednesday.  It is REALLY a Windows exe for those many who have mailed
and asked about this, in addition to those who may want to know.  It is
free for the taking and I have source for those interested (it is
copyright'ed so not really public domain, but its free for use as stated
by the current author - I call this pseudo-public domain).

					Tom Hite

P.S:  CACI is ftp site:
	cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22)

callahan@mimsy.umd.edu (Jack Callahan) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar8.145454.2279@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:

>I don't know about the Windows look and feel, but I am using Micro-Emacs
>3.1 for Windows 3.  It works quite well.
>
>					Tom Hite

Tom,

I'd be interested in finding out where to get Micro-Emacs for MSWindows
3.0 (as I'm sure others would be also).  I haven't seen it in the "normal"
places on cica or wuarchive.  Are you using it in an MSDOS window in 386
mode or as a Windows application?  Thanks for any info.

-- jack

bill@rlgvax.Reston.ICL.COM ( Bill Patton ) (03/15/91)

> From article <1991Mar8.120003.17761@ecn.nl>, by wim@ecn.nl (Wim Rijnsburger)
>
> Does anyone know a simple editor with Windows 3 look and feel, suited for
> editing program source text? Now I use Notepad, but this tool cannot
> open large files and lacks functionality such as replace and redo.

I use CodePad(tm) which is a programmer's editor for Windows 3.0.  This
editor was the missing piece I needed in order to set up an integrated
software development environment under Windows where I can point and
click with the mouse to make things happen instead of typing.

CodePad	1.0 (Commercial Product)

	Cognetic Systems, Inc.
	12534 Pinecrest Rd.
	Herndon, Virginia 22071
	(703) 476-7154

Some of its features include:

    * CodePad is a full Windows 3.0 application which conforms to the
      Common User Access standard (CUA).

    * You can simultaneously edit multiple source files in overlapping
      windows.

    * Start CodePad Editors and Makes by double clicking on filenames
      in Windows directories.

    * Edit large ASCII files up to 13,000 lines.

    * CodePad displays the current line number so you can locate
      compiler errors quickly.  You can also use the GoTo command to
      jump to a specific line number.

    * Comprehensive on-line hypertext help gives quick answers to your
      editing questions.

    * Ultra-fast dynamic scrolling moves text as you position the scroll
      tab.  CodePad is ideal for browsing through source files.

    * A dual mouse and keyboard interface provides full mouse support
      along with pulldown menus and fast keyboard commands.

    * You can choose from 5 different screen fonts.  Pick the font that
      is ergonomically best for your eyes and monitor.

    * Supports 640 x 480 VGA, 800 x 600 Super VGA, and
      1024 x 768 8514/A monitors.

    * Use the mark-and-search capability to mark text in one window and
      search for it in another. Cut and paste text between windows using
      the mouse.

    * Search and replace command.  Last values used in one window
      apply to the next.

    * If you have the Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows 3.0,
      CodePad will look up Windows function calls, macros, and  data
      structures for you in SDK's on-line help.

You can't get this ammount of Windows integeration and ease of use
by running a traditional DOS editor in a DOS window under Windows.

System Requirements:
    * Microsoft Windows environment version 3.0 running in Standard
      or 386 Enhanced Mode.
    * MS-DOS or PC-DOS 3.1 or later.
    * Personal Computer using 80286, 80386SX, 80386DX, or higher
      processor.
    * VGA, Super VGA, 8514/A or compatible video graphics adapter
      and monitor.
    * Microsoft Mouse or compatible recommended.
    * CodePad requires little system memory.  Setting up a software
      development environment under Windows 3.0 requires at least
      3.5MB of system memory and 386 Enhanced Mode.

CodePad comes in a vinyl album with a user manual that gives tips
for setting up a software development environment under Windows.
The suggested retail price is $99.  You can order CodePad from:

		Cognetic Systems, Inc.
		12534 Pinecrest Rd.
		Herndon Virginia 22071
		(703) 476-7154

The company is not set up for international orders but is making
arrangements for international sales to be handled through several
Programmers' mail order companies.  This should take 2 weeks.

corfmanr@gtephx.UUCP (Russ Corfman) (03/22/91)

> Does anyone know a simple editor with Windows 3 look and feel, suited for
> editing program source text? Now I use Notepad, but this tool cannot
> open large files and lacks functionality such as replace and redo.

Well I'm in the process of getting one for myself. So far I'm looking
at three. They are:

1. Speed Edit - $295

   Bradford Business Systems Inc.
   23151 Verdugo Dr. #114
   Laguna Hills, CA 92653
   (714) 859-4428

   They have a demo version for $20 which includes the manual and
   applies to the purchase price. This was reviewed in PC Mag in
   the windows issue they just had. The demo has full functionality
   except that files are limited to 500 lines and the edit session
   is limited to 15 minute shots.

   This by far sounds like the best. There are versions of Speed
   Edit for DOS, Xwindows, Unix, OS/2 Presentation Manager and
   the HP environement. I received a pretty nice brochure which
   describes many of the numerous capabilities.

   Has anyone used Speed Edit on any of the platforms it's
   offered for? It's supposed to be fairly consistent from one
   platform to the next. Is it worth the $295?

   The lady I talked to said that the "Window Shopper's Catalogue"
   has a $50 coupon for Speed Edit too. I called Microsoft up and
   they are sending me one.

2. CView - $99

   Eastern Language Systems
   39 West 300 North
   Provo, UT 84601
   (801) 377-4558

   They don't have a demo version. They did FAX me an info sheet
   on it though. From it, their propoganda follows.:

      - Multiple fonts and sizes
      - Auto standard C style reformatting
      - Search and replace
      - Line numbering
      - Goto line command
      - Full on-line documentation
      - Automatic access to Window's SDK help
      - Hyper text launch
      - File name in header
      - Page numbering, and much more...

      No more having to switch back to DOS to develop Windows programs.
      CView gives you access to all of Windows' powerful features. You
      can display multiple files, use fonts and styles to see more of
      your program's text, access the Windows' SDK help without breaking
      you programming stride, edit using the clipboard, and set up your
      compiles and links as background tasks running in Windows.

      Windows' freedom isn't all you get. CView's entire C source code
      is included. With this resource, you can learn Windows programming
      techniques and customize your text editor with your own unique
      features. CView gives you the power to define your own creative
      environement.

   CView was also mentioned briefly in PC Mag's windows issue. I like
   the idea of bringing up the SDK help. I also like getting the source
   code.

   The man that I talked to said that Eastern Language Systems developed
   CView because they do Windows programming and wanted to be able to do
   that programming using the Windows environement. Meaning they developed
   it for in house use. After it was done, they decided to spread the
   wealth by offering it as a commercial product.

3. CodePad - $99

   Cognetic Systems, Inc.
   12534 Pinecrest Rd.
   Herndon, VI 22071
   (703) 476-7154

   I found out about this one through Bill Patton's post. I gave
   them a call and they are sending me out a free demo. This demo has
   all the functionality as the commercial version except that you
   cannot save files.

   From talking to them, I got the impression that Bill's post was their
   advertisement. I don't know if this is true (Bill's post was from
   International Computers Limited, Reston, Virginia) but after telling them
   where I heard of it and asked for more info, the person I talked to
   asked what more info I needed, what wasn't covered.

I haven't received the demo versions of Speed Edit or CodePad yet but
am expecting them to arrive any day. If people would like, I could post
my impressions of them after I've had a chance to try them out.

Ciao,
--
Russell Corfman
AG Communication Systems; Phoenix, AZ