[comp.windows.ms] MS Tech Support

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.025145.26144@cbnewsd.att.com> klotz@cbnewsd.att.com (david.a.klotzbach) writes:
>From article <2693@travis.csd.harris.com>, by leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds):
>>
>> If the target printer is PostScript, then you need to edit the win.ini file
>> in the softfonts section ...
>>
>> softfont1=[path]\psfonts\pfm\fontname.pfm,[path]\psfonts\fontname.pfb
>>                                          ^^
>> no space between the comma & the other name.
>>
>> Now, this WILL NOT work with a non PS printer, as the .PFB file is PS code
>> that contains the font description ... Anybody have the awnser for non PS?
>
>No problem, if you do not have a postscript printer but are using
>any of the wordprocessors for window, WFW, AMI-PRO or window write, simply
>print the file!!! ATM takes care of the rest, this of course
>assumes you have a graphics capable printer.

OK, good answers on the ATM stuff, both of you, but I have a related topic...

As far as I have seen, Microsoft Excel 3.0 will not print to either an
HP DeskJet+ or and HP DesrJet 500 using ATM *or* Bitstream FaceLift.

All the other applications work fine.  Bitstream tech support hadn't had the
problem reported before, but were looking into it.  I haven't talked to Adobe
yet, but I suspect that Excel is the problem, as I had trouble with Excel 2.1
and FaceLift, while other apps were fine.

Now, my tangentally related soapbox...

In article <qFq4y1w162w@zooid> dve@zooid (Sysot) writes:
>I do PC support for about 60 people in our building using MS Windows. While
>I think Windows is a great product, I am extremely disapointed with the
>quality of their product support in Toronto. They seem to know all the quick
>and common questions but anything beyond that gets you a vague and useless
>answer. A few times I have called with a problem and had them tell me they
>had never heard of it before, while meanwhile several other people have
>mentioned to me that they have the same problem.
>
>Is their product support as bad in the States and other countries?

I agree that MS product support (especially Windows) is not as good as it
could be, but an obvious answer is being overlooked.  Both this group and
(especially) comp.windows.ms.programmer have regular posts by
sidney@borland.com (sorry, I forgot his real name) which are quite helpful.

Today, after weeks of this group, I see my first post from someone at
Microsoft, and it is merely a news-blurb, not anything important.

So, <Flame On>

MICROSOFT, START MONITORING THIS GROUP! (and comp.windows.ms.programmer)
Not everyone can afford Compu$erve, but even the discussions there are not
complete.  Give us the timely information that we need to program for your
hot environment, as well as use it.

<Flame Off>

Let's see some discussion on this.

--
Jeff Rife   P.O. Box 3836   |   "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
College Station, TX 77844   |    because he was moral they called him insane.