[comp.windows.ms] Easy money

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (03/21/91)

In <250.27e78004@mwk.uucp> tway@mwk.uucp (Bill Tway) writes:

>                       INSTRUCTIONS
>                       ============
>Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you
>will have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours.
>This program has remained successful because of the honesty
>and integrety of the participants.  Please continue its
>success by carefully adhering to the instructions.

This is nothing more than a chain letter despite how much they try
to disguise it as a useful service.  I think this is a highly
unethical and probably illegal use of Internet.  I think the poster
should have his password revoked and all the people on the list
prosecuted for sending chain letters.

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (03/22/91)

THERE IS NO EASY MONEY!  The message posted earlier involved a
pyramid scam and as such is entirely illegal.  Although posting
this drivel on the net is probably not illegal, answering it through
the U.S. Postal system constitutes a federal crime punishable by a
severe penalty.

To any fool who wishes to pull one of these scams in the future.  Keep
it off the net.  This is no place for such foolishness.

Don Lehn

P.S.  I have made a hardcopy of the message and I will be turning it
over to the Postmaster General.  If your name is on the list expect
to hear from him soon.

pmahler@starnet.uucp (Paul Mahler) (03/22/91)

This is truly disgusting.  I agree that these people should be reported
to the appropriate authorities, as much as that goes against my usual
liberal feelings.  Whoever sent this trash should be thrown off the net.
What is it doing in this discussion group?  What is it doing on the net?

It is also insulting that someone would think we are stupid enough to
respond to a chain letter.

mqvortru@iiic.ethz.ch (Michael Heide Qvortrup) (03/22/91)

I know that this isn't the appropriate newsgroup for this, but it
turned up here ...

In article <250.27e78004@mwk.uucp> tway@mwk.uucp (Bill Tway) writes:

>                       INSTRUCTIONS
>                       ============
>Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you
>will have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours.
>This program has remained successful because of the honesty
>and integrety of the participants.  Please continue its
>success by carefully adhering to the instructions.

Most places I know of (that is, Europe), this is definitely illegal!
And appart from that, this is sure not the right newgroup. How about
alt.ripoff or something like that :-)?

>         (This is a legitimate service that you
>          are requesting and you are paying $1.00
>          for this service).

Even with this little twist to it!

I wonder who falls for something like this! Simple math tells you that
it can't possibly work!

Sorry for the outburst :-) and the inappropriate posting.

Greetings, Michael.

jeffs@ka.excelan.com (Jeff Seideman) (03/22/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 18:19:55 GMT

In article <250.27e78004@mwk.uucp> tway@mwk.uucp (Bill Tway) writes:
>  1)  Immediately mail $1.00 to the first 5 names listed
>      below starting at number 1 through number 5.  Send cash only
>      please (total investment $5.00). Enclose a note with each
>      letter stating: "Please add my name to your mailing list."
>      Include your name and address.
>
>         (This is a legitimate service that you
>          are requesting and you are paying $1.00
>          for this service).

This is nothing but a standard pyramid scheme!  If you get into it in
REAL mail it's illegal as hell.  They occur every few years, and yes
a few people early on make some money.  However, everyone else gets
screwed!  Too bad it's not possible to make it illegal in this cute
little electronic form!
 |                                       |                               |
 |  ...I knew he'd lost control          |       Jeff Seideman           |
 |  when he built a fire on Main Street  |                               |
 |  and shot it full of holes...         |       jeffs@novell.com        |
 |  (Bob Dylan)                          |                               |

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (03/23/91)

In article <250.27e78004@mwk.uucp> tway@mwk.uucp (Bill Tway) writes:

>                       INSTRUCTIONS
>                       ============
>Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you
>will have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours.
>This program has remained successful because of the honesty
>and integrety of the participants.  Please continue its
>success by carefully adhering to the instructions.

Oh no!! not again!

Please don't do this sh*t again!

I thought we had heard the last of this crap.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254