[comp.windows.ms] Bizarre Windows bug - video

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/13/91)

I have installed an Orchid Pro II card in my 386 Dell 310 (8 megs,
enhanced 386 mode, using the 1024x768x256 color mode).

Sometimes when I move the mouse after a long idle period a little
square mouse dropping will appear where it was, often with information
from a nearby area of the screen in it. The correct information for that area
of the screen can be restored only by moving the afflicted area all the
way off the screen, letting Windows redraw, and then moving it back, letting
Windows redraw yet again.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Any fixes?

Doug McDonald

rafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Salik "slick" Rafiq) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.005847.5062@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>I have installed an Orchid Pro II card in my 386 Dell 310 (8 megs,
>enhanced 386 mode, using the 1024x768x256 color mode).
>

>Sometimes when I move the mouse after a long idle period a little
>square mouse dropping will appear where it was, often with information
>from a nearby area of the screen in it. The correct information for that area
>of the screen can be restored only by moving the afflicted area all the
>way off the screen, letting Windows redraw, and then moving it back, letting
>Windows redraw yet again.
>
>Has anybody else noticed this?
>
>Any fixes?
>

>Doug McDonald

I have a similar problem with my Trident 8900, except it not only
occured in windows. I get small random lines appearing when I'm
doing a lot of work with the mouse. I noticed it at 600x480x16 and
 800x600x16. I haven't tried any higher resolutions yet. I have tried
 many VGA games and do not get the same effect, except for a VGA Trek game.
I didn't even get it with my gif viewers at 1024x768x256!

As for fixes, well I'm going to talk to my dealer and then maybe
a FIRM phone call to MICROSOFT.

Salik.
--
Salik Rafiq                      internet:      rafiq@ccu.UManitoba.CA
Department of Computer Science	                rafiq@gold.cs.UManitoba.CA

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (03/22/91)

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>I have installed an Orchid Pro II card in my 386 Dell 310 (8 megs,
>enhanced 386 mode, using the 1024x768x256 color mode).
>
>Sometimes when I move the mouse after a long idle period a little
>square mouse dropping will appear where it was, often with information
>from a nearby area of the screen in it. The correct information for that area
>of the screen can be restored only by moving the afflicted area all the
>way off the screen, letting Windows redraw, and then moving it back, letting
>Windows redraw yet again.
>
>Has anybody else noticed this?

Your problems are nothing compared to mine!  Can some kind soul
come to our rescure?

I've also got an Orchid Pro II card.  If I try to run Windows 3.0
(Standard Mode) inside Desqview, here's what happens:

The application runs fine.  No problem...

But when I hit ALT to switch back to Desqview for a second, I lose
the mouse entirely, the background becomes Window's previous
background, sometimes my keyboard locks up, the Desqview window
becomes completely black wherever I cursor up or down, and if
I can manage to get back into Windows I end up with a completely
garbled screen--or I have an extra mouse cursor and several places
on the screen are switched around which I can only correct by
bringing up other windows to color them back in correctly (similar
to what was described above).

I've talked to Quarterdeck's rep on the phone for an hour--no help.

Can Windows REALLY be run inside Desqview?  Not on my computer!

Here's my config.:

386-33 (Micronics MB)
latest version of QEMM and Desqview 386
Microsoft mouse
I've tried every imaginable config.sys arrangement.  Nothing works.
I've tried QEMM with ROM and without ROM parameter.  I've tried
running Windows with both the w3-load.com and win.exe /s.
I've tried everything....   help!

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (03/23/91)

>mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>>Sometimes when I move the mouse after a long idle period a little
>>square mouse dropping will appear where it was, often with information
>>from a nearby area of the screen in it. The correct information for that area
>>of the screen can be restored only by moving the afflicted area all the
>>way off the screen, letting Windows redraw, and then moving it back, letting
>>Windows redraw yet again.

Sounds a lot like a problem I used to have.  I my case, the mouse would
leave little lines behind if it was moved.  Like your case, my problem
was data related because the "droppings" would only appear on certain
colors/screens.  It was fixed by replacing the memory chips on the
video card.

--
Joe Wasik, Pac*Bell, 2600 Camino Ramon, Rm 4E750V, San Ramon, CA (415)823-2422
email: jcwasik@clib.PacBell.COM or [...]!pacbell!clib!jcwasik