[comp.windows.ms] Standard

snyder@splvx1.csc.ti.com (03/22/91)

I've got a few questions about fonts that I hope Windows users have some
answers to.
Is it possible to get standard (*.fon) files that correspond to the standard 35
fonts that are on a postscript laser printer? Basically I am not that concerned
with high resolution on the screen, but I would like to be able to use the
standard ps fonts in write and excel and print them to the laser printer.
On cica I see megabytes of Adobe Type 1 fonts, but no simple *.fon files that I
can load in with the Control Panel.
Am I missing something obvious, is there a way to get a bitmap (*.fon) version
of these fonts for none ATM users.
If someone could provide a clear explanation explaining all the different font
formats and what was compatible with what I really would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scott Snyder      snyder@crdecf.csc.ti.com

dalbrich@oregon.uoregon.edu (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.131055.502@splvx1.csc.ti.com>, snyder@splvx1.csc.ti.com writes:
> I've got a few questions about fonts that I hope Windows users have some
> answers to.
> Is it possible to get standard (*.fon) files that correspond to the standard 35
> fonts that are on a postscript laser printer? Basically I am not that concerned
> with high resolution on the screen, but I would like to be able to use the
> standard ps fonts in write and excel and print them to the laser printer.
> On cica I see megabytes of Adobe Type 1 fonts, but no simple *.fon files that I
> can load in with the Control Panel.
> Am I missing something obvious, is there a way to get a bitmap (*.fon) version
> of these fonts for none ATM users.
> If someone could provide a clear explanation explaining all the different font
> formats and what was compatible with what I really would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Snyder      snyder@crdecf.csc.ti.com
Unfortunately, .fon files are bitmap fonts.  The problem with bitmap fonts
is that they take large amounts of hard disk space to store and they are
as not as high quality as outline fonts.  I would recommend purchasing
a postscript/outline font interpreter.  (I know you mentioned you would
rather not, but I think its your best alternative.)
The formats:
Bitmap: an image of the character is stored to disk.  Literally, each bit
which defines the shape of the character is stored explicitely.  For example
each character, Bold, Italic, Normal, Each size, and each typeface style
are implemented using unique bit-images which must all be stored.  They may
be grouped into families (i.e. .FON files) but it is the same as if you
saved a picture of each character individually.  To build one typeface family,
say just helvetica, takes a lot of hard disk space.  If you have a copy of
say Helvetica 10pt, and you need 16 point.  Your Windows application will
scale the font to size causing a jagged looking font.  This is the least
preferred method.

Outline,
TrueType,
Postscript:
These names all describe types of fonts that use a mathematical equation
(or drawing instructions) to describe the font.  This is of great advantage
because an entire family of type can use just one description per
character.  For example, I have Helvetica, and I wish to use both 10pt
and 40pt in a document.  Your Windows proram will paint the character
to the screen at the proper size by simply changing parameters in the
equation that draws the font.  You end up with smooth good looking text
at any size.  There are additonal benefits like that it is easier
to rotate and otherwise manipulate these fonts.  Since you do not store an
image of the font to disk (just its equation) these fonts take little
hard disk space.  If you do not have a postscript printer, there are
software postscript emulators (i.e. ATM).  What's great about ATM is you
can get a lot of high quality postscript fonts for free off of
cica.cica.indiana.edu.

I get the feeling people will (or already) are sick of bitmap fonts and
it may be hard for you to find them.
Rumor has it that the next release of Windows will have built-in
outline font technology. I wish you luck finding the .FON's meantime
Try common Windows/MSDOS FTP sites to find some of the .FONs.
I did see quite a few .FONS on "Window Frame" a BBRD out of Seattle
Wa. (sorry, don't have number now - will email it to you)
-Dan