[comp.windows.ms] himem.sys problem

pjp23@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Paul J Pival) (03/16/91)

My himem.sys is incompatible with my machine (a clone 286 12mhz).
Is there a substitute out there I can access?  Thanks in advance.

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) (03/19/91)

In article <103523@unix.cis.pitt.edu> pjp23@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Paul J Pival) writes:
>My himem.sys is incompatible with my machine (a clone 286 12mhz).
>Is there a substitute out there I can access?  Thanks in advance.

Make sure that you are using the himem.sys shipped with Windows 3.0, not
versions that came with various DOS distributions, or Windows 2.x.

Also, himem.sys will only install if you have only extended memory, not
if you have expanded memory only.
--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/20/91)

In article <103523@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, pjp23@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Paul J Pival) writes:
> My himem.sys is incompatible with my machine (a clone 286 12mhz).
> Is there a substitute out there I can access?  Thanks in advance.

I'm desparate.  ME TOO!
--
Clayton E. Cramer {uunet,pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Self-defense is a basic human rights; dead people seldom exercise any others.

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil BARRETT) (03/24/91)

I missed the first article (vacation, y'know) so I didn't see all the detailed
description of the problem and this may have been tried already, forgive me
for chewing up net bandwidth if so.

Have you tried the different machine options that himem supports?  Use the
/m: option.  The readme goes into some detail.

The Himem line would look like:
device=c:\himem.sys /M:1    (for example, using machine type 1, see the readme)

also, this may not be a popular suggestion but product support does know
pretty much about this and can often answer this question quickly.

good luck
phil