[net.auto] What are these new headlights?

cb@hlwpc.UUCP (Carl Blesch) (01/19/85)

I've seen some new headlights on a handful of cars lately.
I'm hardpressed to describe them, but they seem to be wider than
the standard rectangular headlight -- maybe even as wide
as two adjacent headlights in a four-headlight system.
The Audi 4000S is one car that has them -- they were prominently
featured in a head-on shot of that car in a magazine ad.
The ad copy simply refers to "new European headlights (that)
improve visibility."
Aren't headlights supposed to be (somewhat) standardized in
Canadian/American cars or cars built overseas for export here?
Is this yet another allowable "standard?"
You see, I have this headlight fetish (just love the slanting headlights
on my '83 Celica -- I'll never forgive Toyota for hiding them on the '84+
Celicas!), so someone please satisfy my curiosity!

Carl Blesch

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (01/19/85)

In article <469@hlwpc.UUCP> cb@hlwpc.UUCP (Carl Blesch) writes:
>I've seen some new headlights on a handful of cars lately.
>I'm hardpressed to describe them, but they seem to be wider than
>the standard rectangular headlight -- maybe even as wide
>as two adjacent headlights in a four-headlight system.

>Aren't headlights supposed to be (somewhat) standardized in
>Canadian/American cars or cars built overseas for export here?
>Is this yet another allowable "standard?"

The new headlights have two advantages: first, they are considerably
more aerodynamic, resulting in greater performance and fuel economy;
secondly, they provide more light.  They are generally large --- the
European Audi 100 (ie 5000S) has headlights the size of the entire
U.S.-spec 5000S twin headlight assembly.  Amazing light-power!

The cars that I know of currently that have these new lights are the
Audi 4000S, Audi Coupe, Lincoln Mark VII, Nissan Maxima, Toyota
Cressida, VW Jetta, VW GTI.  The Toyota and Nissan lights are not
quite as obvious as the others.

Indeed, the headlight standards in the U.S. were very stringent (and
dated) until recently.  No quartz-halogen headlight, no non-standard
sizes, no this, no that. The consumers will now reap the benefits
of this deregulation.  The only deterrent is that the new headlights
are somewhat more expensive, and thus likely will not find their into
true econoboxes.  However, quartz-halogen lights have replaceable
bulbs, which are fairly inexpensive.

			\tom
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

hrs@houxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (01/21/85)

The new headlights have the advantage of aerodynamics.
They also give the car designer another variable to
play with.
They are considerably more expensive. If one gets
broken in an accident, you will be out $100+ instead
of $20. This will eat up the gas savings in a hurry.
In addition, the seal between the lens and the reflector
depends on a gasket. If it fail your reflector
will tarnis, reducing light output.
This is very noticeable in Europe, where you often
see cars with dull reflectors.
It is true that US designed sealed beams, even the
halogen ones, give a much poorer light pattern than
modern Euopean headlights, but this is because of
poor design.
I have replaced the headlights in both my cars
with Cibie' BOBI units, one has 7" round and the
other 5x7 rectangular. The BOBI's are sealed beams
with replaceable H4 halogen bulbs. They are bright
and provide a superior pattern with sharp cutoff.
Furthermore, they are less than $40 per pair, and
if a filament burns out you can replace the bulb
for $6.-
I even carry a replacement bulb, although the H4's
will last longer than a standard sealed beam.

Herman Silbiger

mab@hou4a.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (01/21/85)

	These new headlights can be found on a few cars this year and the number
will increase in coming years.  They are part of a modernization of the
American (NHSTA) rules concerning headlights.  Previously only a few designs
were allowed to be used on American cars.  The modernization was to go
from a system of approving specific designs to one where performance criterea
was the issue.  The new rules allow different shapes as long as the light
is of certain brightness, spread, aiming ability, strength of front lense,etc.

	You can see these type lights on the Continental Mark 7 and on the new
VW Golf.  By making headlights flush, the aerodynamics of the car can be
improved.

	This is one rule change that the NHSTA has made recently which makes
sense.
--
Michael Brochstein     AT&T Information Systems, Holmdel, NJ
ihnp4!hou4a!mab        (201) 834-3482

lrd@drusd.UUCP (DuBroffLR) (01/24/85)

	Herman Silbiger

Are you sure?  Aren't sealed beams just that -- sealed during
manufacture, with NO replaceable parts?  I have H4s on all my
vehicles (cars and motorcycles), and have never heard them
referred to as sealed beams, since the reflector, lens, and
bulb are seperate, individually replaceable items that are
NOT sealed together.  My understanding is that a sealed beam
headlight is a throw-away unit.

mayer@rochester.UUCP (Jim Mayer) (01/24/85)

I haven't seen them, but they are discussed in the 1984 edition of "The
Car Book" (Jack Gillis, Tilden Press, 1984).  Instead of being sealed
beam headlights they have a replacable bulb and a separate lens cover.
He basically doesn't like them, but lists the following points:

Good points:
	o They will allow more aerodynamic cars -> better fuel efficiency.

	o The individual bulbs will be cheaper to replace than a sealed
	  beam unit.

Bad points:
	o The lenses will cost more then $80 to replace according to the
	  Moror Vehicle Manufactures Association.

	o Given the new (junk) 2.5 mph bumpers the lenses are likely to
	  break a lot.

	o They may not be necessary to improve fuel economy.

-- Jim Mayer					Computer Science Department
(arpa) mayer@Rochester.ARPA			University of Rochester
(uucp) rochester!mayer				Rochester, New York 14627

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (01/25/85)

Re DuBroff comment on sealed beams: The sealed refers to the
fact that the reflector and lens are sealed such that the
atmosphere can't get to them.'
Cibie' has fused a small glass envelope internal to the reflector
assembly. The H4 elements fit into this envelope, and are thus
replaceable.

mab@hou4a.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (01/29/85)

	While these new headlights may cost more that the regular sealed-
beam type they have advantages that outweight their cost.  Before I mention
the advantages, let me say that the cost of these will come down for reasons
I will give.

	ADVANTAGES
	----------
	1. The new law allows flexibility in meeting the new lighting
standards.  This will allow the headlight manufacturers much more legroom
than before in meeting these standards.  The NHSTA is interested in the
end-result.  Newer and better materials may now be tried.  Cheaper
headlights may result from the use of these newer designs.

	2. The aerodynamics of cars will improve since shape is not now
mandated by law.

	3. An important advantage is that the performance of headlights may
improve because of the use of different light patterns, brightness levels,
and other factors.