[comp.windows.ms] Yet Another QEMM problem.

2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/20/91)

I am trying very hard to get QEMM 386 5.11 to work with Windows.  But when I
try to load up windows I get the big blue "Windows" screen, and then the system
freezes.  No Error Statement, no Exception 13, just lock up... and I have to
reboot.  Windows will load up with a /r or a /s parameter, however Windows
still refuses to load up enhanced.  I have tried forcing it with the /3 and I
have tried the /X as well.   I have removed everything except my files and
buffers statements from my Config.sys, and eliminated my Autoexec.bat in an
attempt to isolate the problem, leaving a very bare device statement.

So far the only thing that has worked with QEMM is to omit the RAM parameter,
and use X=B000-B7FF statement.  I have tried excluding this area with the RAM
statement but no go.  The problem seems to be hardware related then.

I am using an AT&T 6386 WGS with and extended keyboard, 4 Meg of Ram (extended)
And a V-RAM VGA 512k video card.

So if anyone has any Hardware or Software ideas... I would really love to hear
them.

pmahler@starnet.uucp (Paul Mahler) (03/22/91)

You should call the QEMM support people for a problem like this. They
have always been VERY helpful to me in the past.  All it takes is
your serial number and a phone call.

larry@palan.uucp (Larry Strickland) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar20.001227.29177@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>I am trying very hard to get QEMM 386 5.11 to work with Windows.  But when I
>try to load up windows I get the big blue "Windows" screen, and then the system
>freezes.  No Error Statement, no Exception 13, just lock up... and I have to
>So far the only thing that has worked with QEMM is to omit the RAM parameter,
>and use X=B000-B7FF statement.  I have tried excluding this area with the RAM
>
>I am using an AT&T 6386 WGS with and extended keyboard, 4 Meg of Ram (extended)
>And a V-RAM VGA 512k video card.

Having loaded (at great pain) QEMM 5.11 on several AT&T 6386's, I can tell you
that you are in for some real exitement.  However, your problem is probably
very easy to fix.  You have most of it with the X=B0000-B7FF, but you need to
make the range a bit larger.  All the ones I've done work with:

	ROM RAM NOSORT X=B000-BFFF

There seems to be no reason to exclude the extra area, except that it works.
I'd be interested in hearing from other 6386 users that have gotten this to
work without the extra memory being excluded (it means I can't load some other
stuff high), thus the post.

Thanks,
-larry

RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar20.001227.29177@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu says:

[stuff deleted]
>So far the only thing that has worked with QEMM is to omit the RAM parameter,
>and use X=B000-B7FF statement.  I have tried excluding this area with the RAM
>statement but no go.  The problem seems to be hardware related then.
??? The RAM statement isn't used to exclude memory, it's used to turn QEMM on.
try using RAM and X=B000-B7FF. You should also try QEMM ANALYSIS MAP at the C:
prompt, and see if there are any other gaps in memory that might be causing
problems. (The E000-EFFF range causes me occasional problems.)