[comp.windows.ms] ATM... How do you print?

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/20/91)

OK got all of those neat fonts to use with Adobe Type Manager in
pub/pc/win3/fonts on cica.cica.indiana.edu. They look great on the
screen, but how do you print a document using them... I installed the
fonts using the ATM Control utility...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/21/91)

In article <3679@d75.UUCP> woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:
>OK got all of those neat fonts to use with Adobe Type Manager in
>pub/pc/win3/fonts on cica.cica.indiana.edu. They look great on the
>screen, but how do you print a document using them... I installed the
>fonts using the ATM Control utility...

If the target printer is PostScript, then you need to edit the win.ini file
in the softfonts section ...

softfont1=[path]\psfonts\pfm\fontname.pfm,[path]\psfonts\fontname.pfb
                                         ^^
no space between the comma & the other name.

Now, this WILL NOT work with a non PS printer, as the .PFB file is PS code
that contains the font description ... Anybody have the awnser for non PS?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

klotz@cbnewsd.att.com (david.a.klotzbach) (03/21/91)

From article <2693@travis.csd.harris.com>, by leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds):
> In article <3679@d75.UUCP> woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:
>>OK got all of those neat fonts to use with Adobe Type Manager in
>>pub/pc/win3/fonts on cica.cica.indiana.edu. They look great on the
>>screen, but how do you print a document using them... I installed the
>>fonts using the ATM Control utility...
>
> If the target printer is PostScript, then you need to edit the win.ini file
> in the softfonts section ...
>
> softfont1=[path]\psfonts\pfm\fontname.pfm,[path]\psfonts\fontname.pfb
>                                          ^^
> no space between the comma & the other name.
>
> Now, this WILL NOT work with a non PS printer, as the .PFB file is PS code
> that contains the font description ... Anybody have the awnser for non PS?

No problem, if you do not have a postscript printer but are using
any of the wordprocessors for window, WFW, AMI-PRO or window write, simply
print the file!!! ATM takes care of the rest, this of course
assumes you have a graphics capable printer.

In article <1991Mar21.025145.26144@cbnewsd.att.com> klotz@cbnewsd.att.com (david.a.klotzbach) writes:
>No problem, if you do not have a postscript printer but are using
>any of the wordprocessors for window, WFW, AMI-PRO or window write, simply
>print the file!!! ATM takes care of the rest, this of course
>assumes you have a graphics capable printer.

That is what I thought as well, but the INDEX file on cica specifically
mentions that a PS printer is required for their type1 fonts ... so that was
leading me to wonder ...

mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (03/26/91)

In <2711@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:

>In article <1991Mar21.025145.26144@cbnewsd.att.com> klotz@cbnewsd.att.com (david.a.klotzbach) writes:
>>No problem, if you do not have a postscript printer but are using
>>any of the wordprocessors for window, WFW, AMI-PRO or window write, simply
>>print the file!!! ATM takes care of the rest, this of course
>>assumes you have a graphics capable printer.

>That is what I thought as well, but the INDEX file on cica specifically
>mentions that a PS printer is required for their type1 fonts ... so that was
>leading me to wonder ...

I deleted those references.  Sorry for the confusion.

--

michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu