[comp.windows.ms] Problem with FASTBACK PLUS and Windows

gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (COMER,MATTHEW BRIAN) (03/11/91)

Whenever I try to run fastback plus in Windows, my system crashes
with the message "DMA Buffer too small -- Try DMABUFFERSIZE=016 in SYSTEM.INI"
Well, I tried putting that line in system.ini, but it doesn't help. In fact,
putting it in at the top causes windows to crash right away. Put in later,
it has no effect. Can anyone help??

--
Comer, Matthew Brian
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt7865a

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (03/12/91)

In article <24003@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (COMER,MATTHEW BRIAN) writes:
>Whenever I try to run fastback plus in Windows, my system crashes
>with the message "DMA Buffer too small -- Try DMABUFFERSIZE=016 in SYSTEM.INI"
>Well, I tried putting that line in system.ini, but it doesn't help. In fact,
>putting it in at the top causes windows to crash right away. Put in later,
>it has no effect. Can anyone help??

Where you put things in system.ini matters a lot.  The file is divided into
sections, with things like [386enh] or such at the front of each section.
What you need to do is to look in the sysini?.txt files in your windows
directory to see where the line really belongs, and put it there.

Separately, it seems like a risky business to run a backup process while
in Windows -- that is, you're modifying the same file system that
you're trying to back up?  Brave.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (03/12/91)

In article <24003@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (COMER,MATTHEW BRIAN) writes:
>Whenever I try to run fastback plus in Windows, my system crashes

I've got an answer for you but it probably isn't the one you are looking for.

Don't run FASTBACK (or any other backup program) under Windows (or any other
multi-tasker).

It just simply is not good policy to make a backup of a file system while
other things have active access to that same file system.  An unreliable
backup is worse than no backup at all because it lulls you into a false
sense of security.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

aden@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (ADEN_S_SPENSER) (03/13/91)

In article <1025@pallas.athenanet.com>, kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes...
>In article <24003@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (COMER,MATTHEW BRIAN) writes:
>>Whenever I try to run fastback plus in Windows, my system crashes
>Don't run FASTBACK (or any other backup program) under Windows (or any other
>multi-tasker).

Exactly.  What you're seeing isn't ever going to change (to my knowledge).
FASTBACK PLUS must run exclusively, without WINDOWS anywhere around.  Don't
even try runnning it Full Screen and Exclusive, it won't work.  You simply
MUST exit Windows.  That's the way it works on all of our systems.

--
S. Spenser Aden  --  Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Co. --  (713) 483-2028
NASA -- Johnson Space Center, Houston -- Flight Data and Evaluation Office

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (03/13/91)

>Don't run FASTBACK (or any other backup program) under Windows (or any other
>multi-tasker).

Correction: Fastback may not work under Win3, but it works just fine
under DESQview/386.

//richard

urban@frith.uucp (Mark Urban-Lurain) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.144740.29121@aio.jsc.nasa.gov> aden@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <1025@pallas.athenanet.com>, kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes...
>>In article <24003@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (COMER,MATTHEW BRIAN) writes:
>>>Whenever I try to run fastback plus in Windows, my system crashes
>>Don't run FASTBACK (or any other backup program) under Windows (or any other
>>multi-tasker).
>
>Exactly.  What you're seeing isn't ever going to change (to my knowledge).
>FASTBACK PLUS must run exclusively, without WINDOWS anywhere around.  Don't
>even try runnning it Full Screen and Exclusive, it won't work.  You simply
>MUST exit Windows.  That's the way it works on all of our systems.

I've used FASTBACK on my 386 under windows in the following manner:

	1) In a DOS window run from a .PIF which has background checked.
	2) Backup or restore to/from a DOS PATH, not via DMA.  You must
		use previously formatted disks to do this.  Enable the
		advanced user mode in FB and select DOS PATH as the
		destination in backup mode or source in restore mode.
	3) Not backing up dirs/files in use under windows.

I use a CMS tape system to do my regular backups, but fastback to move
files between systems.  The above method has worked fine for me on
several occassions.  I do this while doing other tasks in other windows
(including DOS windows) switching to the FB window for disk changes.

I agree with the above posters' advice about not trying to backup files
that may be in use when windows is running.  However, if you specify the
files to backup (or want to do a restore) in the above manner, you
should be pretty safe.

Disclaimer:  I'm not responsible for anything which happens to your
files.

--
Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (03/14/91)

In article <21872@yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>>Don't run FASTBACK (or any other backup program) under Windows (or any other
>>multi-tasker).
>
>Correction: Fastback may not work under Win3, but it works just fine
>under DESQview/386.

You missed the point completely!  I am well aware that it is POSSIBLE
to do backups while a multi-tasking environment is running.  My point
is that it is not PRUDENT to do so.  The possible exception to this is
large multi-user systems with custom backup software that is designed
to save a valid copy (although not necessarily the latest one) of files
that are in use while the backup is running.  This is NOT a design
feature of any PC based backup system as far as I know.
Backing up an "active" file system with a program that wasn't designed
for a multi-tasking environment is playing with fire.

David.Stever@p36.f40.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Stever) (03/20/91)

 CB> From: gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (COMER,MATTHEW BRIAN)

 CB> Whenever I try to run fastback plus in Windows, my system crashes
 CB> with the message "DMA Buffer too small --
 CB> Try DMABUFFERSIZE=016 in SYSTEM.INI"
 CB> Well, I tried putting that line in
 CB> system.ini, but it doesn't help. In fact,
 CB> putting it in at the top causes windows
 CB> to crash right away. Put in later,
 CB> it has no effect. Can anyone help??

Call Fifth Generation tech support, but I think that FB just isn't 'Windows friendly' enough to run in Windows.

55 N. Griggs St., St. Paul, MN 55104-6915

Das.
--

shepard@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Brett Shepard) (03/26/91)

In article <114.27EAF365@tdkt.FIDONET.ORG> David.Stever@p36.f40.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Stever) writes:

> CB> From: gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (COMER,MATTHEW BRIAN)
>
> CB> Whenever I try to run fastback plus in Windows, my system crashes
> CB> with the message "DMA Buffer too small --
> CB> Try DMABUFFERSIZE=016 in SYSTEM.INI"
   [...]
> CB> to crash right away. Put in later,
> CB> it has no effect. Can anyone help??
>
>Call Fifth Generation tech support, but I think that FB just isn't 'Windows friendly' enough to run in Windows.

I was under the impression (quite possibly mistaken) that anything that tried
to take over the dma (i.e. any backup program) was incompatable with win.

If I'm wrong, please correct me!

bds

"Just the opinions, ma'am."  |   Brett Shepard         | Close your eyes and
Go ahead, crash our system!  |   Ball State University | pretend that there is
UUCP:  shepard@bsu-cs.bsu.edu|   Muncie, IN            | a fancy graphic here