[comp.windows.ms] HP PainJet Experiences

zumbachl@norand.UUCP (lyle zumbach) (03/23/91)

I'm looking for a good printer to use at home with windows ($400-$700). With
a dealer discount and a rebate, I have a chance to buy a PainJet for $700.
Is this a good printer? I'm using WfW, Excel, Corel Draw. I'd also like to
read comments on the DeskJet.

Thanks,
Lyle Zumbach
uunet!norand!zumbachl

karl@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Karl Watanabe) (03/26/91)

>I'm looking for a good printer to use at home with windows ($400-$700). With
>a dealer discount and a rebate, I have a chance to buy a PainJet for $700.
>Is this a good printer? I'm using WfW, Excel, Corel Draw. I'd also like to
>read comments on the DeskJet.
>
>Thanks,
>Lyle Zumbach
>uunet!norand!zumbachl
>----------

I highly recommend a laserjet IIP.  I have seen it for $850 which is a little
higher than you want, but just about all windows programs support the laserjet.
I have WFW and Excel and the LJIIP works great except Excel seems to default
to helvetica font which I don't have.

I have a paintjet at work and it is great for color pictures, but the
resolution is not so great and text doesn't look that good.  Also, you
have to constantly buy the paint cartridges which I believe will cost
more than the laser toner in the long run.

I have seen output from the Deskjet and it looks almost as good as the
laserjets.  HP claims 300 dpi which should look very good.  The printing
time is too slow for me so I spent the extra money for the LJIIP.

good luck,

shepard@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Brett Shepard) (03/26/91)

In article <48@norand.UUCP> zumbachl@norand.UUCP (lyle zumbach) writes:

>a dealer discount and a rebate, I have a chance to buy a PainJet for $700.
                                                          ^^^^^^^

Is it really that much agony???
I've used one at work and it doesn't seem to be _that_ bad...     :)

Actually, if you're willing to part with $700, you might as well pop an extra
$300 or so and get a real laser.  The PaintJet is slow (at least it really seems
that way when printing a lot of color charts), and I don't think the print
quality is nearly as good as you can get from a laser.

Of course, I've only used it for printing from Harvard Graphics (no real text
processing there), but those are my impressions.

>Lyle Zumbach

bds

"Just the opinions, ma'am."  |   Brett Shepard         | Close your eyes and
Go ahead, crash our system!  |   Ball State University | pretend that there is
UUCP:  shepard@bsu-cs.bsu.edu|   Muncie, IN            | a fancy graphic here