[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 & ATM 1.0 problem

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/23/91)

I just finished the installation of the ATM (I checked the atm.txt
file said it is 1.0 although it cam with the Times New Roman and Gill
Sans fonts) that came with Pagemaker 4.0 along with the ~100 fonts
from cica.cica.indiana.edu (pub/pc/win3/fonts). Boy was it a pain in
the butt to modify the win.ini file to support automatic downloading
of those additional fonts.

Anyway, playing around with it I have encountered a rather nasty bug.
After using roughly five fonts in Paintbrush, I get an Unrecoverable
Application Error. After roughly the same number in Win Write and Word
for Windows 1.1, the chracters for any new font that I choose no
longer show up on the screen, but the cursor continues to move the
proper distance apparently...

My configuration is an IBM-AT with an Inboard 386/AT, 5.25 MB of
memory, DOS 3.3, Speedstor partitioned ESDI drive with 24MB free. I
run windows with the standard VGA driver with OSFRAME and HyperDisk
4.22E set for 1MB under Windows. The problem still occurs when I
disable the cache. Oh yeah ATM setup with a 256KB font cache.

Anybody have a clue? Anyone actually tried ten or so fonts on the
screen at the same time using ATM?

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

wer5@ellis.uchicago.edu (Will E. Rose) (03/24/91)

Not all of the fonts on cica "work".  As you've discovered, a few of them make
ATM sick as hell.

This is what you want to do:

  1) Move all the pfb and pfm files to some other directory (temporarily)
  2) Purge ATM as described in the manual (including the .qlc file)
  3) Reinstall it.
  4) Move all the fonts back to the directory, and add them all from ATM.
  5) Try displaying them ONE AT A TIME from Word, or something like that.
       THE FIRST ONE THAT DOESN'T APPEAR - DELETE IT!
       Then, remove and reinstall all other fonts from the ATM control panel.

   Keep doing this until all the fonts installed work, and you'll have no more
   problems. I have 50 of the cica fonts installed, with no more problems.
   (It's not that the other 50 are defective (only about 4) but that I didn't
   like the rest.

   After all that is done, do the annoying thing with win.ini, making SURE
   all references to the messed-up fonts are gone.

Hope this helps.  It worked for me.

					Will E. Rose
					User Support Chair
					University of Chicago
					   Computing Organizations
wer5@midway.uchicago.edu
wer5@gsbsun.uchicago.edu

ISSHST@BYUVM.BITNET (03/24/91)

I've used ATM 1.0 with around 20 fonts per page without problems.  My system
is a 386 (very generic) clone, and ATM has a font cache of 96K.  Some of
fonts from cica didn't work, but after eliminating them everything has
worked perfectly.

martenm@en.ecn.purdue.edu (The Yeastmaster) (03/24/91)

In article <3690@d75.UUCP> woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:
>I just finished the installation of the ATM

>Anyway, playing around with it I have encountered a rather nasty bug.
>After using roughly five fonts in Paintbrush, I get an Unrecoverable
>Application Error. After roughly the same number in Win Write and Word
>for Windows 1.1, the chracters for any new font that I choose no
>longer show up on the screen, but the cursor continues to move the
>proper distance apparently...

I had the same problem and cured it by eliminating the "eurostile"
font that I got from cica. I then reinstalled ATM and everything
worked fine. I was able to generate several pages of different
fonts.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 Mark Marten               | DoD #120   | "He is no fool to give what

magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar24.015527.19667@en.ecn.purdue.edu> martenm@en.ecn.purdue.edu (The Yeastmaster) writes:

>I had the same problem and cured it by eliminating the "eurostile"
>font that I got from cica. I then reinstalled ATM and everything
>worked fine. I was able to generate several pages of different
>fonts.

From the preceding postings it seems that there is more than one font that is
corrupted.  Could someone who has a complete listing of all the fonts that have
problems mail it to me.  Thank you in advance.

								Paul

lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar25.020328.7806@agate.berkeley.edu> magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:
>In article <1991Mar24.015527.19667@en.ecn.purdue.edu> martenm@en.ecn.purdue.edu (The Yeastmaster) writes:
>>
>>I had the same problem and cured it by eliminating the "eurostile"
>>font that I got from cica. I then reinstalled ATM and everything
>>worked fine. I was able to generate several pages of different
>>fonts.
>>

>From the preceding postings it seems that there is more than one font that is
>corrupted.  Could someone who has a complete listing of all the fonts that have
>problems mail it to me.  Thank you in advance.
>
>								Paul

Eurostile is the only corrupted file that I had on mine.  I erased it,
and now I'm not having any problems.  I've had upwards of 20 fonts visable,
and never had a problem, since I erased Eurostile.  This is on a 286-20
with 5 Mb and a 512k font cache.  I have at least 100 fonts installed,
and they all work.

--
Scott A. Laird            |  Any semblance of the above to anything is purely
lair@midway.uchicago.edu  |  coincidental, as it was the result of an infinite

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/26/91)

>   Keep doing this until all the fonts installed work, and you'll have no more
>   problems. I have 50 of the cica fonts installed, with no more problems.
>   (It's not that the other 50 are defective (only about 4) but that I didn't
>   like the rest.

Could you perhaps tell us which are these 4 fonts?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

cs060128@csusac.csus.edu (H Philip Chen) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.072820.22672@midway.uchicago.edu> lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) writes:

>Eurostile is the only corrupted file that I had on mine.  I erased it,
>and now I'm not having any problems.  I've had upwards of 20 fonts visable,
>and never had a problem, since I erased Eurostile.  This is on a 286-20
>with 5 Mb and a 512k font cache.  I have at least 100 fonts installed,
>and they all work.

Eurostile didn't work for me too, but Eurostile Bold (different file) worked.
In addition, Era.* (the whole font family) displayed fine except the blank
character (Chr(32)) in that family didn't work.  Is it in mine only or do
other netters have the same problem?  E-mail would be nice.  Thanks in advance.

-Philip
chenh@athena.ecs.csus.edu  or  cs060128@csusac.csus.edu