[comp.windows.ms] 386 Enhanced Problem.

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (03/12/91)

Why is it that I can run Windows in Real and Standard Mode, but not 386
Enhanced?  My system is a 25MHz 386, 84MB SCSI HD, 2 MB Ram, QEMM 5.11.
Every time I try to run in Enhanced Mode, I get Disk Read Error, Abort
Ignore Retry Fail.  The other modes work just fine!  Also, anybody out
there have docs on the Seagate ST-01 card?  Mine didn't come with them.

                                  -Brian

You drop the bomb -more-
It goes off... -more-
I am *NOT* as think as you dumb I am!! |  This space for rent (241-6939)

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (03/12/91)

In article <AbqvWDS00Vp=ISWEQT@andrew.cmu.edu> bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) writes:
>Why is it that I can run Windows in Real and Standard Mode, but not 386
>Enhanced?  My system is a 25MHz 386, 84MB SCSI HD, 2 MB Ram, QEMM 5.11.
>Every time I try to run in Enhanced Mode, I get Disk Read Error, Abort

There are (at least) two things you must do to make a SCSI drive run in
enhanced mode.

1.	You must run Smartdrive (it does some double buffering that is
needed for bus mastering controllers)

2.	In [386enh], in system.ini, you must have the line

	VirtualHDIRQ=False

As a side note, I could not load smartdrive high with QEMM on my SCSI system.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

Jeff.Tensly@p1.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Jeff Tensly) (03/14/91)

 BE> Why is it that I can run Windows in Real and Standard Mode, but not 386
 BE> Enhanced?  My system is a 25MHz 386, 84MB SCSI HD, 2 MB Ram, QEMM 5.11.
 BE> Every time I try to run in Enhanced Mode, I get Disk Read Error, Abort
 BE> Ignore Retry Fail.  The other modes work just fine!  Also, anybody out
 BE> there have docs on the Seagate ST-01 card?  Mine didn't come with them.

 BE>                                  -Brian

Could be one of several things, MS states that not all SCSI devices are compatable with the 386 enhanced mode.  Also what controller are using for the SCSI drive?  If it is a 8 bit controller that may be your problem.  I am assuming here that you may be using a seagate 296n with a st01 or st02 controller.  There is not much to know about the st01 card, what is question? I have some information on it.  If you want to run in 386 enhanced mode you will probably have to change to a 16 bit controller, the st01

is only a 8 bit card.

73 De Jeff, CEO/SysOp Jaguar's Networking Labs (303)377-2371

--- XRS! 4.00+DV
 * Origin: Jag's Point Place, QBBS 2.75g HST/DS, Denver (Quick 1:104/477.1)

Jeff Tensly - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Jeff.Tensly@p1.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.1!Jeff.Tensly

jadam@cs.tamu.edu (James P Adam) (03/20/91)

 BE> Why is it that I can run Windows in Real and Standard Mode, but not 386
 BE> Enhanced?  My system is a 25MHz 386, 84MB SCSI HD, 2 MB Ram, QEMM 5.11.
 BE> Every time I try to run in Enhanced Mode, I get Disk Read Error, Abort
 BE> Ignore Retry Fail.  The other modes work just fine!  Also, anybody out
 BE> there have docs on the Seagate ST-01 card?  Mine didn't come with them.

 BE>                                  -Brian

   I've had a similar problem.  The answer for me was :  Windows does not
like QEMM.  If I tried to force windows into 386 mode (using the /3 switch),
it would start to load && will then drop out, leaving a message like:
  "To run in 386 mode, remove the protected mode software from your
environment."
     The protected mode software, in this case, was QEMM.  The "solution"
was to use the HIMEM and emm386 drivers instead.  I chose not to do that,
since it meant losing an extra 70K of low memory, since QEMM was loading
half a dozen disk drivers into high memory, something which the windows'
(standard-DOS) drivers are too stupid to know how to do.
     So, anyway, another thing for you to try is to get rid of QEMM &&
see if the error goes away then.
     P.S.:  Are you loading the DOS-provided utility "SHARE" in your
config.sys file?  For drives over 32M, Share is a real good idea &&
is probably needed for Windows to deal with the disk.
   Jim

sph0301@UTSPH.HSCH.UTEXAS.EDU (03/22/91)

I'm using QEMM5.1 with Windows 3.0 in enhanced mode and it works fine -
granted, it took a bit of playing with, but now I'm running QEMM,
DEC PCSA, WP Office Shell, and THEN running Windows from the shell
and it still works.  One thing I found was that I couldn't load any-
thing in expanded memory using the PCSA EMSLOAD program - that was
sure to limit Windows to Standard (or even real) mode.  Use LOADHI
as much as possible - let the QEMM Optimize program set up your
config.sys and autoexec.bat files for you.

By the way, there's a helpful article in the latest PC Magazine
about Windows and QEMM -

craick@titan.trl.oz (John Craick) (03/22/91)

jadam@cs.tamu.edu (James P Adam) writes:

> BE> Why is it that I can run Windows in Real and Standard Mode, but not 386
> BE> Enhanced?  My system is a 25MHz 386, 84MB SCSI HD, 2 MB Ram, QEMM 5.11.
> BE> Every time I try to run in Enhanced Mode, I get Disk Read Error, Abort
> BE> Ignore Retry Fail.  The other modes work just fine!  Also, anybody out
> BE> there have docs on the Seagate ST-01 card?  Mine didn't come with them.

> BE>                                  -Brian

>   I've had a similar problem.  The answer for me was :  Windows does not
>like QEMM.  If I tried to force windows into 386 mode (using the /3 switch),
>it would start to load && will then drop out, leaving a message like:
>  "To run in 386 mode, remove the protected mode software from your
>environment."
>     The protected mode software, in this case, was QEMM.  The "solution"
>was to use the HIMEM and emm386 drivers instead.  I chose not to do that,
>since it meant losing an extra 70K of low memory, since QEMM was loading
>half a dozen disk drivers into high memory, something which the windows'
>(standard-DOS) drivers are too stupid to know how to do.
>     So, anyway, another thing for you to try is to get rid of QEMM &&
>see if the error goes away then.

Sorry but this answer is VERY wrong. QEMM versions 5.11 and above is
definitely compatible with Windows - the best thing since sliced bread &
I use it all the time, as do many others.

The most likely problem is with your SCSII disk drive. There has been
quite a bit of talk about this on the net but, sorry, I don't have the
problem so I didn't keep the references.

You might solve the problem by getting rid of QEMM but you'll lose an
awful lot of memory in the process. I think this problem is partly
addressed in the frequently asked questions posting for ms windows.

I _think_ the answer is to exclude from QEMMs processing that portion of
upper memory which is used by the SCSII adapter for data transfer. Sorry
I can't be more definite - but don't give up on QEMM

John Craick
(j.craick@trl.oz.au)

richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) (03/22/91)

/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms / jadam@cs.tamu.edu (James P Adam) /  9:17 pm  Mar 19, 1991 /

>     P.S.:  Are you loading the DOS-provided utility "SHARE" in your
> config.sys file?  For drives over 32M, Share is a real good idea &&
> is probably needed for Windows to deal with the disk.

I was going to write that "SHARE" mustn't be used with Windows 3, then I
realised that it's "APPEND", "JOIN" and "SUBST" which mustn't be used.

Richard.

gerardis@cs.mcgill.ca (Tony GERARDIS) (03/23/91)

In article <2849@trlluna.trl.oz> craick@titan.trl.oz (John Craick) writes:

>>   I've had a similar problem.  The answer for me was :  Windows does not
>>like QEMM.  If I tried to force windows into 386 mode (using the /3 switch),
>>it would start to load && will then drop out, leaving a message like:
>>  "To run in 386 mode, remove the protected mode software from your
>>environment."
>>     The protected mode software, in this case, was QEMM.  The "solution"
>>was to use the HIMEM and emm386 drivers instead.  I chose not to do that,
>>since it meant losing an extra 70K of low memory, since QEMM was loading
>>half a dozen disk drivers into high memory, something which the windows'
>>(standard-DOS) drivers are too stupid to know how to do.
>>     So, anyway, another thing for you to try is to get rid of QEMM &&
>>see if the error goes away then.
>
>Sorry but this answer is VERY wrong. QEMM versions 5.11 and above is
>definitely compatible with Windows - the best thing since sliced bread &
>I use it all the time, as do many others.
>
>I _think_ the answer is to exclude from QEMMs processing that portion of
>upper memory which is used by the SCSII adapter for data transfer. Sorry
>I can't be more definite - but don't give up on QEMM
>
>John Craick
>(j.craick@trl.oz.au)

Listen QEMM just doesn't behave properly with certain machines, mine
wouldn't crash but it felt so slow that It would be criminal for anyone
to use it! A whole bunch of my friends have had the same problem (all
with different 386 machines) If you don't have one problem with QEMM you
usually have another! My whole solution to this was getting an AMAZING
copy of MSDOS 5.0 RELEASE CANDIDATE #3, The most stable thing I've ever
seen and I also have >600K of mem after loading all my device drivers
and mem resident progs. Now with that much more mem Who the Hell needs
QEMM. At least we know that MSDOS and windows were made by the same
Company and therefore are most prob. best together! I wouldn't go back
to QEMM or any previous DOS version regardless of what anyone says!

Don't worry MSDOS should be released officially within the next 2-3
months. It will be worth every penny Microsoft decides to ask for!

 gerardis@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca  | The sun is the same in a relative way,
			       | but you're older
			       | And shorter of breath and one day
			       | closer to DEATH.       -Floyd

dcrowley@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (David Crowley) (03/23/91)

In article <37140010@hpopd.pwd.hp.com> richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) writes:
	[other stuff deleted]

>I was going to write that "SHARE" mustn't be used with Windows 3, then I
>realised that it's "APPEND", "JOIN" and "SUBST" which mustn't be used.

	Just exactly why can't these be used? I use "SUBST" and it *seems*
    to work fine with no problems whatever? I use it because otherwise
    my paths would be horrorendously long. So what's the game?

							David...

--
-----------------=\|/= = = = = Don't blow up, it's more fun to implode ! = = =
  David Crowley  --@--  Database Programmer, Macquarie University, Australia

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.212858.22878@cs.mcgill.ca> gerardis@cs.mcgill.ca (Tony GERARDIS) writes:
>In article <2849@trlluna.trl.oz> craick@titan.trl.oz (John Craick) writes:
>>
>>>   I've had a similar problem.  The answer for me was :  Windows does not
>>>like QEMM...
>>
>>Sorry but this answer is VERY wrong. QEMM versions 5.11 and above is
>>definitely compatible with Windows - the best thing since sliced bread &
>>I use it all the time, as do many others.
>
>Listen QEMM just doesn't behave properly with certain machines, mine
>wouldn't crash but it felt so slow that It would be criminal for anyone
>to use it! A whole bunch of my friends have had the same problem (all
>with different 386 machines) If you don't have one problem with QEMM you
>usually have another!...

Sorry for the presumptuous subject line.  I've just spent a week
trying to configure my system and I've found out some helpful procedures
to follow...

The key I think here is to make sure that you know exactly what your
HARDWARE is doing with the memory between 640k and 1024k.  For example,
I've just figured out how to make QEMM, Desqview, and Windows to
work correctly on my new 386 system (Micronics MB).  I found out
that my hardware was shadowing 128k of BIOS from ROM into E000-FFFF; this
happened to be used as Desqview's PAGE FRAME address!!!  Plus QEMM
had found a couple of supposed "holes" in the shadowed system BIOS,
so it decided to use those too...but there were no holes as was
confirmed when I ran QEMM's Analysis procedure.

Here's a couple of suggestions:

1) Run QEMM's Analysis procedure.  That's how I found the bogus
   "hole".  To keep QEMM from disturbing my hardware's shadowed
   BIOS I just put NOHS as a parameter after QEMM386.SYS.

2) Write a nearly empty CONFIG.SYS file with only SHARE.EXE and
   MOUSE.SYS in it (with no QEMM or anything else).  Reboot, and
   then examine your high memory with Manifest.  Look closely at
   all the areas of high memory to see what your hardware did with
   them.  Manifest does NOT (I repeat--NOT) see everything that's
   there.  It missed 64k on my system.  But it's worth a look.

3) Get your motherboard manual out and read everything in it that
   smells of memory.  That how I found out that my hardware was
   shadowing 128k of its ROM instead of just 64k.  It seems that
   QEMM never heard of shadowed BIOS that big, and so it only
   recognized HALF of it.

4) If you're still having problems, try switching the page frame
   address.  If Manifest says that it's located at E000-EFFF,
   switch if to D000 by including "FR=D000-DFFF" as a parameter
   after QEMM386.SYS.

I hope that helps someone--I've been totally frustrated, so I
know what a lot of you are going through.  Right now I'm trying to
figure out how I can run Desqview since there's no high memory left
on my computer for it to load into!  I can't multitask if my
DOS programs are limited to 475k.

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (03/23/91)

>	Just exactly why can't these be used? I use "SUBST" and it *seems*
>    to work fine with no problems whatever? I use it because otherwise
>    my paths would be horrorendously long. So what's the game?

Well, there's two reasons why using subst might be a bad idea. Windows
executable files don't entirely have to be in memory; for example, the code
for the "About..." dialog box might be marked as "load only on demand." Now,
suppose you launch something like Excel from a subst drive, then go into the
DOS box and change your subst drives around. Now, if win 3 wants to load in
some part of excel, it will go to the original subst drive letter and not
even find the file there! Thus, as long as you don't *change* your subst
drive letters around, you should be fine.

The second reason is really what I believe to be a bug in Windows 3.0. Try
this: instead of include c:\win3 (or equivalent) in your path, first subst
it to some letter like w: and include w: in your path. Next, try to start up
sysedit - it should complain with "Unable to open W:\\system.ini" etc.
Moreover, if you change settings, for example in File Manager or Program
Manager, they will be unable to find their .ini files because they are
probably looking for W:\\xxx.ini. I don't know why windows attaches the
double backslash to these pathnames. In any case, your settings will not be
saved and will generally lead to confusion. So, don't subst your windows
directory.

But as far as other subst drives go, I don't think windows 3 cares two hoots.

Milan
.

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar23.070323.9582@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:

>The second reason is really what I believe to be a bug in Windows 3.0. Try
>this: instead of include c:\win3 (or equivalent) in your path, first subst
>it to some letter like w: and include w: in your path. Next, try to start up
>sysedit - it should complain with "Unable to open W:\\system.ini" etc.
>Moreover, if you change settings, for example in File Manager or Program
>Manager, they will be unable to find their .ini files because they are
>probably looking for W:\\xxx.ini. I don't know why windows attaches the
>double backslash to these pathnames. In any case, your settings will not be
>saved and will generally lead to confusion. So, don't subst your windows
>directory.

It's not a general Windows bug.  It is a bug in the code in those programs.

A Windows program can find out where the Windows directory is, using a
Windows function call.  This is returned in a manner consistent with all DOS
pathnames so that subdirectories do not have a trailing slash, except the
root directory.  The code in SYSEDIT, or PROGMAN, does not check to see if
there is already a trailing backslash, and blindly appends one.

THIS IS BAD CODE, but not a general Windows bug.  It's bit me in DOS
programs, but I guess the MS programmers have never had any bugs before. ;=>

--
Jeff Rife   P.O. Box 3836   |   "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
College Station, TX 77844   |    because he was moral they called him insane.

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (03/27/91)

BE> Why is it that I can run Windows in Real and Standard Mode, but not 386
BE> Enhanced?  My system is a 25MHz 386, 84MB SCSI HD, 2 MB Ram, QEMM 5.11.
BE> Every time I try to run in Enhanced Mode, I get Disk Read Error, Abort
BE> Ignore Retry Fail.  The other modes work just fine!  Also, anybody out
BE> there have docs on the Seagate ST-01 card?  Mine didn't come with them.

The problem is probably your SCSI controller.  If it's a DMA bus master,
it will thoroughly confuse Windows when it tries to start up in 386 mode.

The reason for the confusion is as follows:  when the 386 is remapping
memory to different physical addresses, it doesn't correctly pass this
information along to bus masters.  The SCSI controller will take a virtual
address and use it to do DMA.  Unfortunately, this address may not point
to the correct address in physical memory.

The solution is to use a device driver with your SCSI board that supports
the VDS standard (Virtual DMA Services).  Both Windows 3.0 and QEMM 5.1
support VDS directly.  Adaptec has a driver for its controllers called
aspi4dos.sys.

If you can't get an appropriate driver, try using smartdrv with the /B
parameter.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway