[comp.windows.ms] Windows C Editor

becap@cs.mcgill.ca (Brian CAPSON) (03/24/91)

Hey All;

I've been reading with interest all of the talk about a good C editor
for the Windows Environment. When I began programming for windows about
6 months ago, I too was bothered by having to switch to a DOS based
editor to write windows code. I decided to do something about it, and am
now about half way through writing a "Programmer's Workbench" for
Windows. Here are the specs:

- multiple document interface
- notion of a "project" so that you can open and save all of your files
  on demand
- context sensitive links to the windows SDK on=line reference
- pushbutton links to all the tools of the SDK
- links to the Microsoft C compiler: will let you compile your code from
  within windows, then will open a window with the results of the
  compilation, highlighting the lines in the file where errors have been
  reported.
- standard editor features (search and replace, etc.)
- C programming features (goto a line, autoindenting (hopefully))

Right now I'm stil using the multiple line edit class for my editor,
which is easy, but severely limits some of the functionality. There are
probably a few more features that I'll add, but I can't think of them
right now. If anyone has some suggestions or comments for features/
changes or additions, feel free to post them or mail them to me.

- Brian Capson
  becap@bart.cs.mcgill.ca
  McGill University School of Computer Science
  Montreal, Quebec, CANADA

ergo@netcom.COM (Isaac Rabinovitch) (03/27/91)

In <1991Mar23.204346.9928@cs.mcgill.ca> becap@cs.mcgill.ca (Brian CAPSON) writes:

>... and am
>now about half way through writing a "Programmer's Workbench" for
>Windows. Here are the specs:

>- multiple document interface
I hate MDI programs.  One can get the same functionality by
implementing multiple windows for a program instance, or by allowing
different instances of a program to cooperate.  The only thing MDI
adds is a little extra complication when you're switching windows.
>- notion of a "project" so that you can open and save all of your files
>  on demand
Good idea.  Will you automatically add include files to a project?
>- context sensitive links to the windows SDK on=line reference
>- pushbutton links to all the tools of the SDK
>- links to the Microsoft C compiler: will let you compile your code from
>  within windows, then will open a window with the results of the
>  compilation, highlighting the lines in the file where errors have been
>  reported.
I'd rather have this kind of stuff not be hard-wired to a particular
package, though perhaps that kind of generality is beyond the scope of
your product.
>- standard editor features (search and replace, etc.)
Do you consider regular expressions "standard"?  If so, it'd be nice
to have user-defined metacharacters.
>- C programming features (goto a line, autoindenting (hopefully))
What's so hard about autoindenting?  Perhaps you think it has to be
syntax-directed, but we can make do with vi-style (reproduce preceding
line's indent).

But what every programmer really needs is a tags feature.

--

	ergo@netcom.com 			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

   (specific statement withheld at this time for operational reasons)