[net.followup] Genus II Edition banned in U.S.?

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (04/29/85)

In article <> clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>  . . . Examples of lack of "totally free speech" in the U.S. . . .
>
>	2) The GENUS II edition of Trivial Pursuit is banned in the
>	   U.S. for the question:
>		How many months "gone" was Nancy Reagan when she
>	        walked down the isle?
>	   (answer: 2 or 3 (I expect a visit from the NSA/CIA any
>	   time now))
>
>  . . .

It is?  I was at a party playing it just last night.

(I concede that it was the "U.S. Edition" . . . perhaps that question was
removed.  And it seemed to me that there were QUITE a few answers that
were wrong . . . followups to net.games.trivia, which I don't follow so
apologies if this has come up before . . .)

		 .rne.
-----
Real World . . Ernie Longmire / 311 Don St. SE / Los Lunas, NM  87031-9405
UUCP . . . . . {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2532aa
-----
Greatness is attainable only when it is not sought.   --B. Banzai

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/30/85)

> In article <> clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
> >  . . . Examples of lack of "totally free speech" in the U.S. . . .
> >
> >	2) The GENUS II edition of Trivial Pursuit is banned in the
> >	   U.S. for the question:
> >		How many months "gone" was Nancy Reagan when she
> >	        walked down the isle?
> >	   (answer: 2 or 3 (I expect a visit from the NSA/CIA any
> >	   time now))
> >
> >  . . .

I believe that question appeared in the Canadian Genus version.
Even the British Genus version only shares about 50 % of the questions
witht the North American versions.

-Ron

eric@osiris.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (05/01/85)

> > In article <> clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
> > >  . . . Examples of lack of "totally free speech" in the U.S. . . .
> > >
> > >	2) The GENUS II edition of Trivial Pursuit is banned in the
> > >	   U.S. for the question:
> > >		How many months "gone" was Nancy Reagan when she
> > >	        walked down the isle?
> > >	   (answer: 2 or 3 (I expect a visit from the NSA/CIA any
> > >	   time now))
> > >
> > >  . . .
> >
> I believe that question appeared in the Canadian Genus version.
> Even the British Genus version only shares about 50 % of the questions
> witht the North American versions.

	Actually, the question appeared in the Canadian version of
"Baby Boomers". All the versions have come out in Canadian and American
versions, mostly so that they can "americanize" the questions, and not ask
trivia questions about Canadian government, TV, etc. The other classic change
was the definition of SNAFU changed from the Canadian Genus edition (which I
have) and the American version. Guess they wanted to keep it a kids game!?

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!eric

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (05/08/85)

> >  . . . Examples of lack of "totally free speech" in the U.S. . . .
> >
> >	2) The GENUS II edition of Trivial Pursuit is banned in the
> >	   U.S. for the question:
> >		How many months "gone" was Nancy Reagan when she
> >	        walked down the isle?
> >	   (answer: 2 or 3 (I expect a visit from the NSA/CIA any
> >	   time now))
> >
> >  . . .
>
> This has bothered me since I saw it.  Could someone explain just how it is
> possible to ban such a thing?  Thanks.
> --
> 				    Joe Arceneaux
>
> 				    Lafayette, LA
> 				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

I don't beleive the game was 'banned' by any government agency.  Selchow,
the distributer, took the question out of the US version of the game on
their own.  They may have changed some other questions as to keep in tune
with the American public.

	Kevin Chu
	ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (05/09/85)

> > >  . . . Examples of lack of "totally free speech" in the U.S. . . .
> > >
> > >	2) The GENUS II edition of Trivial Pursuit is banned in the
> > >	   U.S. for the question:
> > >		How many months "gone" was Nancy Reagan when she
> > >	        walked down the isle?
> > >	   (answer: 2 or 3 (I expect a visit from the NSA/CIA any
> > >	   time now))
> > >
> > >  . . .
> >
> > This has bothered me since I saw it.  Could someone explain just how it is
> > possible to ban such a thing?  Thanks.
> > --
> > 				    Joe Arceneaux
> >
> > 				    Lafayette, LA
> > 				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla
>
> I don't beleive the game was 'banned' by any government agency.  Selchow,
> the distributer, took the question out of the US version of the game on
> their own.  They may have changed some other questions as to keep in tune
> with the American public.
>
> 	Kevin Chu
> 	ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020
>
> /ex

Actually, according to a published interview with the authors of the
game (who are Canadian), the US distributor (which may well be Selchow)
asked them to remove the question because they were afraid of the reaction
in the Bible Belt.

Your're right however in that lots of questions were changed, about 50-60%
in each edition (except possibly Sports and Silver Screen).
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
{cbosgd, decvax, harpo, ihnp4}!utcs!mnetor!george

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (05/09/85)

In article <165@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) writes:
>I don't beleive the game was 'banned' by any government agency.  Selchow,
>the distributer, took the question out of the US version of the game on
>their own.  ...
>/ex

You're probably right - sorry for the (probably gross)
oversimplification.  Though a point can be made that commercially-
imposed censorship is not necessarily any better than state-imposed,
this was a very poor example.

A better example is: the movie "If You Love This Planet" was banned (in
spite of the fact that it got an Academy Award for "Best Foreign
Documentary" (or some such)) and that Farley Mowat was denied entry
into the States to promote one of his books.  He is (last I heard on
the news) considered to "consort with known Communists" because he
refused to be "debriefed" by the RCMP and U.S. agencies after his six
month visit to the USSR to get material for his book "Sibir" (sp?)
which was written over 15 years ago.  I hardly think that you can
consider Farley Mowat a communist!

Have you noticed that these examples are all "originated in Canada,
banned in the States"?  Interesting, but probably simply a matter
of our own news media's biases and my own interests.

Anyways, since I didn't get torched like I thought I might be,
it seems fairly clear that the U.S. has not got "totally free
speech" as the original poster (re: Europe dropping net.politics)
claimed (oh so much holier-than-thou) once he saw that Canada and Europe
has some restrictions.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (05/10/85)

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (05/11/85)

> A better example is: the movie "If You Love This Planet" was banned (in
> spite of the fact that it got an Academy Award for "Best Foreign
> Documentary" (or some such)) and that Farley Mowat was denied entry
> into the States to promote one of his books.

The film in question was not "banned" in the US.  It, and a film on
acid rain, offended the Reagan administration which, in its typically
inept way, chose to resurrect an old, unused law and require that (1)
whenever one of the films was shown, an announcement be made to the
effect that it was "foreign [i.e. Canadian] propaganda", and (2) a
record be kept of the organizations exhibiting the film and the persons
viewing it.  Far from "banning" the films, the effect was to give them
loads of free publicity and encourage their screening all over the
place, including public television!  Organizations went out of their
way to openly disobey the law.  I never heard of any prosecutions
resulting from any of the numerous showings that violated these
restrictions.  So much for banned films.

I disapprove of Mr Mowat's visa denial.  Nevertheless, it should be
noted that Mr Mowat's words are in no way restricted; his book is being
sold and he has (if memory serves) been interviewed on US television.
Furthermore, Col Qaddafi if Libya, who has been accused by the Reagan
administration of plotting to assassinate the President, was permitted
to address an American political conference via satellite, during which
he called for the armed overthrow of the US government.  No censorship
was imposed and no punishment of the conference promoters ensued.  So
much for censorship of the unpopular political views of foreign
nationals.

> Anyways, since I didn't get torched like I thought I might be,
> it seems fairly clear that the U.S. has not got "totally free
> speech" as the original poster (re: Europe dropping net.politics)
> claimed . . .

An interesting breed of logic, there.  I am not aware of anyone
claiming that the US has totally free speech, just freer political
speech than one is likely to find in most countries (including, alas,
Canada, Britain, and France).  In Canada (let us remember) it is
illegal to differ with the official government line concerning certain
historical events (in particular the Holocaust).  The fact that the
government's version of history in this instance is undoubtedly true is
beside the point.  Would you approve of the law in the (admittedly
unlikely) event that a right-wing government took over Canada and
promulgated its own version of, say, the history of Quebec?
Furthermore, the banning of fruit-loop books claiming that the
Holocaust was a hoax only serves to bring publicity to a nut group that
would otherwise be ignored by everyone with an IQ outside the single
digits.  But let's not get into that again...
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/13/85)

In article <1233@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>In Canada (let us remember) it is
>illegal to differ with the official government line concerning certain
>historical events (in particular the Holocaust).

at the risk of more flaming, how did the government enter into this?
the charges were made by a private group.  the wording of the charge
mentioned the Holocaust, but the charge was equivalent to a libel suit
(which happens a lot in the US, i hear).  Zuhndel(sp?) was charged with
publishing information which was known to be false.  if he had singled
out a single person and that person were alive, a libel suit would
probably have resulted instead (and generated a lot less publicity).

>The fact that the
>government's version of history in this instance is undoubtedly true is
>beside the point.

the government happens in this case to make no statements about history.
historians make statements on history.  responsible historians present
verifiable facts.  the government, through the legal system, decides which
side can present more verifiable facts (evidence) by letting a jury
of people representing the community decide which evidence is stronger.
sound familiar?

>Would you approve of the law in the (admittedly
>unlikely) event that a right-wing government took over Canada and
>promulgated its own version of, say, the history of Quebec?

no, but then the government has never done so before, and is unlikely to
do so in the future because the government does not present any version
of history to anyone, historians do.

>Furthermore, the banning of fruit-loop books claiming that the
>Holocaust was a hoax only serves to bring publicity to a nut group that
>would otherwise be ignored by everyone with an IQ outside the single
>digits.

but lying in public is not to be taken lightly when a group of people
are offended and hurt because of those lies.  libel, slander, and
other such things exist for a purpose, and there is a time and a place
for their proper application.  if i took out an ad in the NY Times and
called you various and sundry names, you would tell me to retract those
statements publicly or be sued (a common thing in the US, i hear) since
dueling is outlawed.  along the way, i could drag your name through the
mud, lying through my teeth every step of the way.  it would be up to
you to prove that i was lying, since i'm innocent until proven guilty.

Zuhndel's primary defense was that he wasn't lying because he actually
believed what he was publishing was true.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (05/13/85)

In article <1233@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>> A better example is: the movie "If You Love This Planet" was banned (in
>
>The film in question was not "banned" in the US.  It, and a film on
>acid rain, offended the Reagan administration which, in its typically
>inept way, chose to resurrect an old, unused law and require that (1)
>whenever one of the films was shown, an announcement be made to the
>effect that it was "foreign [i.e. Canadian] propaganda", and (2) a
>record be kept of the organizations exhibiting the film and the persons

My recollection was that it was indeed banned, and that after strenous
protest, the ban was removed in favour of the "propaganda" disclaimer.

>An interesting breed of logic, there.  I am not aware of anyone
>claiming that the US has totally free speech, just freer political
>speech than one is likely to find in most countries (including, alas,
>Canada, Britain, and France).

The original poster did claim just that.  I wouldn't have responded
otherwise.  Regarding "freer" than "Canada" etc.  Maybe, but a good
point can be made that this only applies domestically - what about
US policies w.r.t. CIA covert activities in Chile?

>illegal to differ with the official government line concerning certain
>historical events (in particular the Holocaust).

There is no "official government line" on the Holocaust or anything
else.  He was convicted of uttering statements that he *knew* were
false intending to incite hatred.  The jury was satisfied on all
points (that they were "false", that he knew it, and that he was
doing it to incite hatred).  This was also brought out in another
posting.  You could do with some similar laws yourselves.

If you still consider our law to be a violation of freedom-of-speech
what about McCarthyism and the blacklists?  That alone has ruined more
lives than any restriction of freedom of speech that this country has
ever had (except for the Japanese internment which the US had too).
Wasn't being a member of the Communist party illegal during the 40's
and 50's?

> Would you approve of the law in the (admittedly
>unlikely) event that a right-wing government took over Canada and
>promulgated its own version of, say, the history of Quebec?

No such law exists.  Besides, the only right-wing government in a
position to take over Canada is the States! (*grin*)

On a more serious note, if through some fluke the Communist Party of
Canada (CPC) or the Trotskyites or the Marxist-Leninists (or even the
NDP!) or whomever ever managed to win a federal election in this
country (or, if our country just did something that was sufficiently
contrary to "US interests" like blocking off the St. Lawrence Seaway,
Alberta Gas and Oil, or shipments of Canadian Bacon, CC, and
Molsons/Labatts) what would your freedom-loving country do?  The same
thing as in Chile or worse (full-scale invasion)?  Probably not - but
the U.S.A. *has* done it before.

>Furthermore, the banning of fruit-loop books claiming that the
>Holocaust was a hoax only serves to bring publicity to a nut group that
>would otherwise be ignored by everyone with an IQ outside the single
>digits.  But let's not get into that again...

Absolutely true.  Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of single
digit IQ's in both our countries.  The KKK was ignored and see what
happened - a lot of people were killed or were "deprived of their
civil rights".  How I love that phrase!  It is quite amusing to
see that charge when the charge should be "murder".
--

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (05/14/85)

In article <1233@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>In Canada (let us remember) it is
>illegal to differ with the official government line concerning certain
>historical events (in particular the Holocaust).  The fact that the
>government's version of history in this instance is undoubtedly true is
>beside the point.

Give me a break..

In a trial, using expert witnesses, whose accreditations were vetted by
both prosecution and defence, testified to facts based on their knowledge
on their explorations of the incidents of the holocaust.  Opinions on
both side were ventured and afterwords the court decided that the opinions
ventured by thye accused were known to be false and made to incite
hatred against a known group.

This, akin to the american process, is a basic law that was applied by a
court of law where the onus of proof was on the prosecution to show
the intent of the accused.

There is no bill ever passed that gives the official history of the holocaust.
At least not in reality, and not in Canada.

--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>