[comp.windows.ms] 8514/a - 256 colors wanted

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (03/27/91)

In article <15564@june.cs.washington.edu> goble@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Brian Goble) writes:
>I have the IBM 8514/a Display and Adapter and am running Windows 3.0
>in Enhanced mode on a PS/2 Model 70.
>
>I am getting 1024 x 768 resolution in 16 colors.  Shouldn't I be able
>to get the same resolution with 256 colors?  If so, could someone
>please tell me where I can get a driver or what I need to do to
>get 256 colors.  Please email any responses.  Thanx in advance.

256 colors require 1MB of video RAM on the 8514/A. Maybe you have only
512k on your card? I have 1MB on mine and it works fine with 256 colors
with the standard Windows driver which works with both configurations
without special settings.

Kai Uwe Rommel