[comp.windows.ms] Scsi Hd Problem

dmarcher@acsu.buffalo.edu (david m archer) (03/23/91)

Hi all... I'm having a problem getting my new SCSI drive to work properly
with Windows.  First off, I HAVE read the FAQ, I HAVE tried using
SmartDrv (was using it already anyhow), and I HAVE tried using
VirtualHDIrq=off.

Ok.. Now that I've got that straight..

I'm running MS-DOS 4.01 on a Swan 386SX with it's original 40MB IDE HD
as drive C:, and a new 80MB SCSI HD as drive D:.  I have VirtualHDIrq=off
in my system.ini file, in the [386enh] section.  (BTW, is
it VirtualHDIRQ or VirtualHDIrq? (Note the cases), or does
it not matter?)

Results:

When attempting to access anything on drive D:,
GnP
with SmartDrv running:
Windows goes away and I find myself at DOS

without SmartDrv running:
The screen goes to text mode with a blank screen, with the
cursor blinking in the upper-left.  Ctrl/Alt/Del usually
lets me reboot, but at least once I've needed to hit the
little red reset button.

Ah, one important detail I left out.  The host adapter is
the Seagate ST-01.

So... What can I do to make things work right.  I'm aware
of the problems with SCSI drives & Windows, but I THOUGHT
that VirtualHDIrq=off was supposed to fix that.  Argh!

All help is greatly appreciated..   Thanks in advance..

---
 Note: I do not represent my employer or school, & sometimes not even myself.

  Dave Archer  |  Internet: V116KZND@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU      !

Jeff.Tensly@p1.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Jeff Tensly) (03/24/91)

 DM> Ah, one important detail I left out.  The host adapter is
 DM> the Seagate ST-01.

 DM> So... What can I do to make things work right.  I'm aware
 DM> of the problems with SCSI drives & Windows, but I THOUGHT
 DM> that VirtualHDIrq=off was supposed to fix that.  Argh!

 DM> All help is greatly appreciated..   Thanks in advance..

That may be the whole problem, the ST-01 is a 8 bit card and windows did not like that on my end.  I switched up to a 16 bit SCSI controller and the problem on my end went away.  Before I could not run in 386 enhanced mode, now it defaults to that right away.  Using the Always Tech card.  Don't know if that is what is happening on your end or not but it sure solved all my windows problems on a 386/25 machine.  If you do change up to a 16 bit card you will have to re-lowlevel the drive, which is best done f

rom debug and then fdisk/format it from dos with the new card in place.

73 De Jeff, CEO/SysOp Jaguar's Networking Labs (303)377-2371

--- XRS! 4.00+DV
 * Origin: Jag's Point Place, QBBS 2.75g HST/DS, Denver (Quick 1:104/477.1)

Jeff Tensly - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Jeff.Tensly@p1.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.1!Jeff.Tensly

dmarcher@acsu.buffalo.edu (david m archer) (03/25/91)

In article <86.27ECF1FB@bohemia.metronet.org> Jeff.Tensly@p1.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Jeff Tensly) writes:

> DM> Ah, one important detail I left out.  The host adapter is
> DM> the Seagate ST-01.
>
> DM> So... What can I do to make things work right.  I'm aware
> DM> of the problems with SCSI drives & Windows, but I THOUGHT
> DM> that VirtualHDIrq=off was supposed to fix that.  Argh!
>
>That may be the whole problem, the ST-01 is a 8 bit card
>and windows did not like that on my end.

Actually, I managed to solve my own problem.  I needed to
type VirtualHDIrq=FALSE, rather than VirtualHDIrq=off.

I think it would be a good idea if someone updated the FAQ
file to FALSE rather than off.

storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) (03/28/91)

In article <86.27ECF1FB@bohemia.metronet.org> Jeff.Tensly@p1.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Jeff Tensly) writes:
>That may be the whole problem, the ST-01 is a 8 bit card and windows did not like that on my end.  I switched up to a 16 bit SCSI controller and the problem on my end went away.  Before I could not run in 386 enhanced mode, now it defaults to that right a
>way.  Using the Always Tech card.  Don't know if that is what is happening on your end or not but it sure solved all my windows problems on a 386/25 machine.  If you do change up to a 16 bit card you will have to re-lowlevel the drive, which is best

	I use the ST02 Card, which is also an 8 bit piece of trash.  I had
major problems with Windows in 386 modem until I called microsoft, and they
told me to  put an EMMEXLUDE line in my sys.ini file.

	I also have to have x=c800-cbff in my QEMM.SYS line so that the
memory manager doesn't try to write over the SCSI BIOS area....

./*-
storm@cs.mcgill.ca         McGill University           It's 11pm, do YOU
Marc Wandschneider         Montreal, CANADA            know what time it is?